What's new

What is your favorite long handle DE? Why?

My favorite razor of all time is still the first one I ever purchased my Merkur 34HD. However, having purchased a Feather Popular a while back, I find that I am using it more and more since it fits well with my bigger hands. The HD always felt a little cramped when shaving. The Feather Popular is a very adequate razor but the plastic makes it light and not as satisfying a shave, especially on WTG passes.

I wanted to upgrade, and since I liked the butterfly design of the Feather Popular but wanted some more heft I went with a Parker 99R. However after a few shaves I decided that it was not for me. I could never dial in the angle without a lot of trial and error. Besides, when when I did it was much too mild a razor and the bulbous design of the head made it hard to get under my nose to trim those whiskers. Maybe it is the bulbous design of my nose, but let's not split hairs (get it split hairs:).

I am wondering for those of you who regularly use a long handle razor, which one is your go to?

At this moment I am thinking of simply going with a Merkur 23C long handle. However, as I haven't done a ton of research I am unaware if there is a long handled razor consistently deemed to be a favorite among the community. I understand YMMV.

Gillette ball end OLD type, the best DE razor ever made, Because three inches is the longest handle I can tolerate, any longer and I would have to cut it down. :thumbup1:

What you are looking for is a vintage Gillette Super Adjustable 109. More commonly called the Black Beauty Long Handle. TTO, adjustable, and a great shaver. If you can find a gold plated one, that would be even better.

$DSC01195.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Schick Krona. Learned to shave with it after purchasing one as my first razor in 1970.

My longest handled razor is an Acevivi Dual-Comb
For what it is, a €10 Chinese razor, I get great results from it, the handle is a joy to hold, and although made from the dreaded Zamak the dual comb head has no blade play and an even blade exposure.
Despite the open comb and scalloped safety bar, it feels very mild when I'm shaving with it, even with 36 hours growth, but I get a very close and smooth shave every time
Living proof that the Chinese are capable of making a high end razor for the price of a budget Chinese razor.
$20160903_104807.jpg $20160903_104951.jpg $20160903_104936.jpg

The longest I can comfortably use is a Slim. If you like longer handles the Super Adjustable would be a good choice.

My longest handled razor is an Acevivi Dual-Comb
For what it is, a €10 Chinese razor, I get great results from it, the handle is a joy to hold, and although made from the dreaded Zamak the dual comb head has no blade play and an even blade exposure.
Despite the open comb and scalloped safety bar, it feels very mild when I'm shaving with it, even with 36 hours growth, but I get a very close and smooth shave every time
Living proof that the Chinese are capable of making a high end razor for the price of a budget Chinese razor.

That is until some company outside of China get hold of it and start marketing it. Getting it from China cost about $10 and getting it from someone in the USA cost about $30. So is the handle REALLY stainless steel?

That is until some company outside of China get hold of it and start marketing it. Getting it from China cost about $10 and getting it from someone in the USA cost about $30. So is the handle REALLY stainless steel?
It's solid and heavy enough to be stainless
The threads had a small sign of rust from the damp (a drop of oil fixed that) so even if it isn't stainless, it's definitely a ferrous metal, I suspect that it might be bright mild steel with a thick chrome plate

Top Bottom