What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

Here is my latest NEW. A very nice Cambridge set. Looks like one of those transition type pieces from Gillette. Appears to be unused.
proxy.php
[/QUOTE

Beautiful razor !!!
I'm not familiar with the Cambridge ,when you say it is a transition ,what is the transition to or from. Looks like a short comb and the handle appears thicker than the normal bar handle? The case is from the US ? and the razor is it also Made in the USA ?

Glenn

Last edited:

Transition as in it appears Gillette cobbled this set together from a left over case IMO. Almost like the Big Boy Hybrid (some of the case headliners say Big Fellow; etc.). The case and name appeared pre-NEW as a French export w/ a single ring. This shipper, case, and razor are all exclusively Made in USA. The bar handle is somewhat unique in that it appears to have the small circumference neck. It is a short comb. There are only a handful of examples out there that I can find.

Transition as in it appears Gillette cobbled this set together from a left over case IMO. Almost like the Big Boy Hybrid (some of the case headliners say Big Fellow; etc.). The case and name appeared pre-NEW as a French export w/ a single ring. This shipper, case, and razor are all exclusively Made in USA. The bar handle is somewhat unique in that it appears to have the small circumference neck. It is a short comb. There are only a handful of examples out there that I can find.

So... you sure is not a Frankenset?:001_tt2:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
9E1FBFB8-859D-438B-8F1E-727CF25FF657.jpeg
9E1FBFB8-859D-438B-8F1E-727CF25FF657.jpeg
08B7EDB9-0B58-4B46-BB64-43990FEFBE04.jpeg
I've been reading a lot lately about Gillette NEWs. Many gents like one NEW or another. Long Comb, Short Comb, Deluxe, American, British, Canadian, 2 piece, 3 piece, etc.

Although I'm not sure we need another BOTOC subgroup, I for one am a GNU (Gillette NEW Über-fan). Are you a GNU?

My question for you:

What is your favorite NEW?

I have many favorites. My current one is a British NEW head on a Tradere handle.

View attachment 359558

Bring it! Post pictures and descriptions of your favorite NEW!
I have had two identical New LC razors in a drawer for about eight years and hadn’t tried one until two weeks ago. So I loaded one with a Personna Lab Blue and shaved. I was shocked. I’ve been shaving for more than 50 years and have a lot of hours behind a DE and I’ve never had a shave like that. My only disappointment was that I had just bought a new DE89 the week before. I think I’m going have to have one replated. Any razor that shaves that well deserves a new suit of clothes. I suppose I am a GNU. Too bad it took so long. I don’t know what iteration of the New these are but here are photos of one.

View attachment 869330 View attachment 869330 View attachment 869331
I have had two identical New LC razors in a drawer for about eight years and hadn’t tried one until two weeks ago. So I loaded one with a Personna Lab Blue and shaved. I was shocked. I’ve been shaving for more than 50 years and have a lot of hours behind a DE and I’ve never had a shave like that. My only disappointment was that I had just bought a new DE89 the week before. I think I’m going have to have one replated. Any razor that shaves that well deserves a new suit of clothes. I suppose I am a GNU. Too bad it took so long. I don’t know what iteration of the New these are but here are photos of one.

Hard to tell from the angle but it looks like a long comb.

View attachment 869330 View attachment 869330 View attachment 869331

It’s a long comb. Funny thing is the common bar handle. The flat shoulder is generally associated with the NEW Deluxe.

It’s a long comb. Funny thing is the common bar handle. The flat shoulder is generally associated with the NEW Deluxe.

That common bar handle is extremely common on the NEW. They are all over the bay. I have a long comb and a short comb and both came with the common bar handle.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, good question.

Probably this rhodium plated SC:

full

Although this flat-bottomed (New Improved? New Deluxe?) with the Harbor Freight handle is a fave:

full

Though I'd reccomend avoiding this corner-tooth-missing bloodthirsty Great Dictator:

full

AA

I believe Hoka Hey is talking about the shoulders.

proxy.php

The second handle in this picture from xillion shows the flat shoulders, right next to it handle 3 shows the most common common bar.

Thanks! Those two always confuse me. (15 or 17mm?)

I have a silver Tuckaway too, but it's not a favorite. Thing bites me for some reason.

AA
Yours looks like a 17
Deluxe15-17.jpg

nublearblast's pic

And that is a good thing. Otherwise I would be forced to try and trick you into selling.

That common bar handle is extremely common on the NEW. They are all over the bay. I have a long comb and a short comb and both came with the common bar handle.

I believe Hoka Hey is talking about the shoulders.

proxy.php

The second handle in this picture from xillion shows the flat shoulders, right next to it handle 3 shows the most common common bar.

I used to think like Hoka Hey... but in the end I've got both handles in my DeLuxe razors, 15 and 17 mm. So...
Yep, it was the shoulder I was commenting on. I only have one common bar handle with the flat shoulder, ala the New Deluxe. I’ve been yelled at (not really!) for displaying a NEW Deluxe with a round shoulder common bar handle.

I can’t say I’ve come across a long comb or short comb NEW with the flat shoulder common bar handle. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Same era, and Gillette is famous for confusing us with odd combos.

Yep, it was the shoulder I was commenting on. I only have one common bar handle with the flat shoulder, ala the New Deluxe. I’ve been yelled at (not really!) for displaying a NEW Deluxe with a round shoulder common bar handle.

I can’t say I’ve come across a long comb or short comb NEW with the flat shoulder common bar handle. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Same era, and Gillette is famous for confusing us with odd combos.

That just goes to show you what an idiot I am. I didn’t even notice the flat shoulder.

Top Bottom