What's new

What is your favorite fougere soap?

I have a hit and miss relationship with Fougere scents. Classics for me are Brut-related ones. Love those (Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite nails it). Sometimes, I get too much moss/oakmoss and wet earth for my liking. To me, this can get too much like ... fertilizer. In others, I get too much pine rather than 'woods'. Not bad, but I don't want the pine to overpower anything.

I really like Murphy and McNeil's take in Green Man. They add some anise that makes it different, plus they have a fantastic Aon soap base that is second to none. But also yes, Martin de Candre is great.

I have found myself drifting away from fougeres lately and embracing more aquatic scents, fwiw.

Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern in her Rust Belt Reserve soap base. This is an outstanding Fougére scent! I would suggest you grab the set with the aftershave splash if you go this route. The performance of the soap and splash are both excellent, IMHO.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well folks we are moving forward. All of us sitting here on the front porch together have helped me pick a few of your recommendations with confidence. This bunch should keep me busy for the next several weeks and months. Looking forward to this adventure.
IMG_0397.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 11

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
MdC is my favorite as well. It just smells so well blended. I wish I could find an aftershave that compliments it's scent. I'm sure there are some of there, but I don't know what they are.
Not a fougere, but I use 4711 cologne as my aftershave and the pairing works for me, but I shower after I shave and before I splash it on.

I've heard that argument and I've done the math based on some 3017 runs. It's still expensive per shave. I'm not telling people not to buy it, but the cost per shave is still quite high.
I've done some math, also. It would be interesting to made a chart from people's 3017 experiences.

As I remember, soaps like Arko, Palmolive and Monsavon were the lowest cost per shave. Italian bulk soaps like Vitos and 3P were almost the same. Hard milled soaps like Pre de Provence were slightly more expensive. The highest cost soaps were soft premium artisan soaps like Wholly Kaw. Martin de Candre was less than those, but still in the mid-high range.

Of course, you could just stop going to restaurants and coffee shops for a month if you really want to save some money.
:laugh:

This is my favourite
MdC Fougere
B&M Fern
Los Jabones De Josera Your Shaving
SV Felce Aromatica

Targeting Stirling Varen and recently had a sample Gentleman's Nod Sir Arthur and it's great

pobrane (3).jpg

MdC Fougere if you can buy very good soap. Valobra Fougere is also better yet they are unavailable after acquisition by Proraso and SV Felce Aromatica also good alternative.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
On the subject of cost, a tub of MdC is huge, twice as big as the typical puck. Texturally, PdP is the most similar in my experience. I get a year off of a puck of PdP, using it every day. It takes me about a dozen turns on the puck to load a BK4 or a T2 for a three pass shave. With MdC two or three turns on the puck provides enough for three passes and maybe three more. I paint it on. I got it at WCS and am so pleased with it. I'll pay for the extravagance by using my blades longer if need be. (Joking, I get a month off of a Crystal.)

Top Bottom