What's new

What is your favorite fougere soap?

MdC Fougere seems to be a crowd favorite. Of course it is the one out of stock in the vendors I frequent. I have placed it on restock notification where that is possible.

Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York had MdC Fougere last week; I bought some more on their 15% off sale. They had in it the small 50g size and the larger 200g size. It's a favorite non-superfatted soap.

If you want a much different take on fougere, which comes from the French word for fern, that's much heavier on the earthy oakmoss, I've been enjoying Varen from Stirling. That one is a tallow soap with a very deep woodsy scent and has a far more fatted base than MdC.

577CC84E-182E-4603-A06F-FE236AC2FABF.jpeg

Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York had MdC Fougere last week; I bought some more on their 15% off sale. They had in it the small 50g size and the larger 200g size. It's a favorite non-superfatted soap.

If you want a much different take on fougere, which comes from the French word for fern, that's much heavier on the earthy oakmoss, I've been enjoying Varen from Stirling. That one is a tallow soap with a very deep woodsy scent and has a far more fatted base than MdC.
I checked earlier today with Pasteur's Pharmacy and they showed out of stock. A member here kindly gave me a tip as to where I could find MdC Fougere and it has been ordered up! I will take a peak at Varen from Stirling. Best.

+1 on the Varen recommendation.
I'm only using about 5 soaps regularly... Varen, MDC fougere and SV Felce Aromatica are three of them (Proraso and a puck of what I think is a Plisson tallow puck of some kind are the other regulars) . Varen is the most forward smelling and favourite scent of the three.

I checked earlier today with Pasteur's Pharmacy and they showed out of stock. A member here kindly gave me a tip as to where I could find MdC Fougere and it has been ordered up! I will take a peak at Varen from Stirling. Best.
+1 on the Varen recommendation.
I'm only using about 5 soaps regularly... Varen, MDC fougere and SV Felce Aromatica are three of them (Proraso and a puck of what I think is a Plisson tallow puck of some kind are the other regulars) . Varen is the most forward smelling and favourite scent of the three.
I picked up some Varen to use with my MdC. One thing to note is that it's heavy on the Vetiver. It's one of the only heavy Vetiver scents that I don't mind. My wife and kids aren't fans, though.

My sleuthing to come up with in stock Varen has yet again to be solved by a kind member here. Ordered up. All the best.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Long Rifle Voyageur is outstanding. It’s a woodsy, oak mossy type fougere. Smells amazing! In the spicy Barbasol-style Americana type fougere, I highly recommend Stirling Baker Street. It was previously made by the now defunct Stroppe Shop and is one of the all time artisan classics.

Top Bottom