What's new

What is your favorite brush of each type?

What is your favorite brush of each type that you have? By type I mean: boar, badger, synthetic or horse. Let's have pictures if you can. Just one of each type. I know it's a hard choice.

I only use synthetic and boar brushes.

My favorite synthetic is the RazoRock Big Bruce with a 26mm knot x 60mm loft.

RazoRock Big Bruce.JPG

My favorite boar brush is the Semogue TSN LE with a 24mm knot x 53mm loft.

Semogue LE brush.JPG

Favorites of each, in order of preference.

Omega 10098 new.jpg Boar: Omega 10098 Pro
Omega S10019.JPG Synthetic: Omega S10019
Vie-Long 12601.JPG
Horse: Vie-Long 12601
Stag B 4565 w AoS knot (1).JPGBadger: AoS starter re-knotted in a Stag B 4565
Rubberset 200N (1).JPG
Nylon: Rubberset 200N
I know it's synthetic, but Nylons are so . . .
different they deserve there own category,
like if you used a wire brush. :)

Here are my three favorites (in order from left to right):
upload_2018-12-3_0-1-5.png

1. Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 (badger)
  2. Omega 10051 (boar)
  3. Omega S10065 (synthetic)
For me they are the best of the bunch. I love everything about all of them but my favorite knot is the Shavemac D01 and my favorite handle is the orange Omega 10051.

Here are my three favorites (in order from left to right):
View attachment 932263

1. Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 (badger)
  2. Omega 10051 (boar)
  3. Omega S10065 (synthetic)
For me they are the best of the bunch. I love everything about all of them but my favorite knot is the Shavemac D01 and my favorite handle is the orange Omega 10051.

Certainly a nice colorful bunch. Looks good.

I like boar and synthetics too.

Boar brush : Proraso (the one on the left,but only after 4 month of daily usage. Mondial boar (in the middle) if you consider the moment first used)

Synthetic : Yaqi rainbow (it replaced my big Bruce preference)

Badger brush : the one that I have put on BST for a nice price.

Horse : I haven't got any so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20181108_230304.jpg
    IMG_20181108_230304.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
I like boar and synthetics too.

Boar brush : Proraso the one on the left,but only after 4 month of daily usage. Mondial boar in the middle.

Synthetic : Yaqi rainbow (it replaced my big Bruce preference)

Badger brush : the one that I have put on BST for a nice price. What is it?

Horse : I haven't got any so far.

So which boar is your over-all favorite?
And what is the badger brush?

So which boar is your over-all favorite?

Proraso Boar (now that is fully broken in)

And what is the badger brush?

Custom wood handle with a 2band 24mm knot from Vigshaving.

Out of topic. 2 band is really nice type of hair but I have the Mondial brusht to fill that area. I don't think I can find the best badger type for me. Too many variables and too many brushes to try.

It is much easier to find the right spot on boar and synthetics. You can get super boar/synthetics brushes (3-4) under 50 usd.

Two manchurian, two boar, two horse, all Zenith. Three different face feels, all great.

Attachments

• 8497F6C6-4EBC-46EC-AECB-6FB182314DC5.jpeg
    8497F6C6-4EBC-46EC-AECB-6FB182314DC5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
The Mondial brushed aluminum boar and Thater 4376/4 silvertip are my favorites. No synthetics or horse hair brushes since i dont like them.

DSC_0456.JPG

I don't really like the term "favourite", because if i keep using the same "favourite" brush for a while, i get bored with it and it doesn't seem so much favourite anymore. So i rotate between many brushes. But let's say these are the ones i would save from a fire.

- Boar: Semogue 1250.
- Badger: Some unbranded silvertip.
- Horse: Vie Long 12705.
- Synthetic: Yaqi 24mm plissoft type.

1.png

full

Last edited:
I don't really like the term "favourite", because if i keep using the same "favourite" brush for a while, i get bored with it and it doesn't seem so much favourite anymore. So i rotate between many brushes. But let's say these are the ones i would save from a fire.

- Boar: Semogue 1250.
- Badger: Some unbranded silvertip.
- Horse: Vie Long 12705.
- Synthetic: Yaqi 24mm plissoft type.

View attachment 932588
full

A very nice assortment. I agree that it's good to mix things up every now and then just to keep things interesting.

A very nice assortment. I agree that it's good to mix things up every now and then just to keep things interesting.

It is a personal thing. I can't convince myself to spend serious money on one "favourite" brush, because it is my character to get bored from repetition. Moreover, i can't stand the idea of having to pamper the "supreme brush". I prefer to have a small army of cheap brushes, that i can treat freely without remorse and rotate monthly and if one breaks, the loft comes off or the handle chips, i can simply throw away and substitute immediately.

So i have usually 4-6 brushes a week in rotation and every month i switch the rotation. It works for me,it keeps me happy and it keeps me interested. The negative side, is that with such long rotations, the Semogues in particular, take a very long time to fully break in. But i have come to accept that as part of the natural evolution of the brush. :closedeye

I do enjoy looking at the expensive brush handles though. But that's what a forum's pictures are for. :001_smile

Favorites of each, in order of preference.

Boar: Semogue 830 22mm
Badger: Maggard 2-band 22mm
Synthetic: Maggard 18mm (in a mini vintage handle for travel)
Horse: Cremo (it's the only horse I have, so it must be my facvorite.)

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
My favorites are the smallest I own in each category. When I have time, I like to lather from my vintage mug.
(L-R): VIGSHAVING Faux Horn Synthetic, Vintage Kent K31 boar brush, Vulfix 2006C pure badger

DSCF0010 - Edited (1).jpg

My favorites are the smallest I own in each category. When I have time, I like to lather from my vintage mug.
(L-R): VIGSHAVING Faux Horn Synthetic, Vintage Kent K31 boar brush, Vulfix 2006C pure badger

So of the 3, which one do you like the best? I know you like them all but one will out perform the others.

Top Bottom