What's new

What is Your Favorite Braised Beef Recipe?

Short Ribs, Stews, Pot Roasts, etc

Please provide recipes.

Personally, I really like Ree Drummonds Beer and Paprika Stew

Ingredients

3 tbsp.
olive oil
1 tbsp.
butter
2 lb.
stew meat
whole medium onion, diced
cloves garlic, minced
can (12 oz. size) beer
4 c.
beef stock (or 4 cups water + 4 beef bouillon cubes)
2 c.
water (additional, if needed)
1 tbsp.
Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp.
tomato paste
1/2 tsp.
paprika
1/2 tsp.
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp.
sugar
whole carrots, washed, unpeeled, and roughly sliced
whole new potatoes, quartered
Minced parsley (optional)

1. Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. Cut pieces in half. Set aside.
  2. Add diced onions to the pot. Stir and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic for another minute. Pour in beer and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  3. *UPDATE: The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water as needed.
  4. Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. (If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
  5. Serve in bowls next to crusty French bread. Sprinkle with minced parsley, if desired.

lasta

Blade Biter
Beef shoulder, marinated in a generous amount of dark+light soy sauce, yellow bean paste, ginger slices and a splash of brandy (24 hours).

Pour the whole mix in a dutch oven. Add enough water to just cover the meat. Throw in star anise, cardamon, peppercorns, and cinnamon in a teabag. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Can add a few cloves of garlic and some dried chili if you don't mind a bit of heat.

Stove top or oven, slow simmer 1 hour.

Remove from pot and wrap in foil. Refrigerate, slice and serve cold.

1663992534735.png

I can’t say it’s my favorite because I haven’t made it yet. I was gifted a bottle of Sangiovese last Christmas. I also Have this bottle that I have no knowledge about. It was a thank you gift from when we bought a goat at a Jr livestock auction.
A0431DF2-78A5-4091-9BEE-ACF8AEC1D615.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon is awfully good, but my go to is much easier. Brown short ribs in peanut oil and butter. Use a pot that will seal well. Brown just enough at a time that they are not crowded. Set the browned ribs aside. Sweat julienned carrots and sliced onion in the remaining oil and rendered fat. Add minced garlic towards the end. Sprinkle very lightly with flour, add kosher salt and ground black pepper, and stir to make a roux. Deglaze with red wine. Add a tbsp. or two of tomato paste. Add the browned ribs back in. Add enough additional red wine and an equal amount of beef stock to come about halfway up the ribs. Add a bouquet garni. Give it all a stir. Cook three or four hours in a 300 degree oven, stirring again and turning the ribs halfway through. if your oven will hold 250, that is even better. You may want to take five hours in that case. Serve with parsleyed and buttered steamed new potatoes and agreen vegetable of your choice. I like blanched and quickly boiled bright green haricot vert. it goes great with a Zin.

Beef shoulder, marinated in a generous amount of dark+light soy sauce, yellow bean paste, ginger slices and a splash of brandy (24 hours).

Pour the whole mix in a dutch oven. Add enough water to just cover the meat. Throw in star anise, cardamon, peppercorns, and cinnamon in a teabag. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Can add a few cloves of garlic and some dried chili if you don't mind a bit of heat.

Stove top or oven, slow simmer 1 hour.

Remove from pot and wrap in foil. Refrigerate, slice and serve cold.

View attachment 1527456
Gave it a try. It's sitting in foil in the fridge. I am annoyed with myself because I did not print out your post, I relied on running back and forth between the kitchen and the study, so I missed the part about garlic and chili, which I definitely would have added.

On the other hand, I did have the wit to add chenpi, which I doubt I'll regret, and which I half suspect you of omitting because most people don't have it around. But that could be some kind of bias toward Cantonese cuisine.

One of all-time favourite "TV Chefs" (but he was so much more than that, still can't believe he took his own life...) Anthony Bourdain's classic Boeuf Bourguignon:

As Bourdain writes in his "Les Halles Cookbook": "This dish is much better the second day. Just cool the stew down in an ice bath, or on your countertop (the Health Department is unlikely to raid your kitchen). Refrigerate overnight. When time, heat and serve. Goes well with a few boiled potatoes. But goes really well with a bottle of Cote de Nuit Villages Pommard."
Make Ahead: For best flavor, this dish should be made 1 day in advance. The stew will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator and 2 to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or microwave and finish heating on the stove top.

Tested size: 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS​

• 2 pounds boneless beef shoulder or neck (chuck), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
  • 4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup red burgundy wine (such as pinot noir)
  • 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 bouquet garni (a tied bundle of herbs, typically thyme, bay and parsley)
  • Water
  • Demi-glace (optional)
  • Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Thoroughly pat the meat dry with paper towels and generously season it with salt and pepper.

In a Dutch oven over high heat, heat half of the oil until shimmering. Working in several batches, and without moving the meat much, sear the meat on all sides until well browned, adding more oil as needed. (If you try to cook too much meat at once, it will steam and turn gray instead of brown.) Once the meat is well browned, transfer to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the onions and any remaining oil to the pot. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the onions have softened and turn golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and, using a wooden spoon, stir, scraping up all the browned bits (fond) off the bottom of the pot.

Once the wine starts to boil, return the meat and its accumulated juices to the pot, and add the carrots, garlic and the bouquet garni. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (and about 2 tablespoons of demi-glace, if you have it). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the meat is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, skimming off any foam or oil that might accumulate on the surface. Check on the stew every 15 to 20 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent scorching or sticking. As you check on the stew, continue adding 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water, as needed, up to 2 1/2 to 3 cups total — to ensure there is enough liquid to cook down and concentrate. If the stew begins to stick, reduce the heat to low. The onions should fall apart, creating a thick, rich sauce that coats the meat.

When the stew is done, discard the bouquet garni, taste the stew and season with more salt, if desired. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
One of all-time favourite "TV Chefs" (but he was so much more than that, still can't believe he took his own life...) Anthony Bourdain's classic Boeuf Bourguignon:

As Bourdain writes in his "Les Halles Cookbook": "This dish is much better the second day. Just cool the stew down in an ice bath, or on your countertop (the Health Department is unlikely to raid your kitchen). Refrigerate overnight. When time, heat and serve. Goes well with a few boiled potatoes. But goes really well with a bottle of Cote de Nuit Villages Pommard."
Make Ahead: For best flavor, this dish should be made 1 day in advance. The stew will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator and 2 to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or microwave and finish heating on the stove top.

Tested size: 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS​

• 2 pounds boneless beef shoulder or neck (chuck), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
  • 4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup red burgundy wine (such as pinot noir)
  • 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 bouquet garni (a tied bundle of herbs, typically thyme, bay and parsley)
  • Water
  • Demi-glace (optional)
  • Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Thoroughly pat the meat dry with paper towels and generously season it with salt and pepper.

In a Dutch oven over high heat, heat half of the oil until shimmering. Working in several batches, and without moving the meat much, sear the meat on all sides until well browned, adding more oil as needed. (If you try to cook too much meat at once, it will steam and turn gray instead of brown.) Once the meat is well browned, transfer to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the onions and any remaining oil to the pot. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the onions have softened and turn golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and, using a wooden spoon, stir, scraping up all the browned bits (fond) off the bottom of the pot.

Once the wine starts to boil, return the meat and its accumulated juices to the pot, and add the carrots, garlic and the bouquet garni. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (and about 2 tablespoons of demi-glace, if you have it). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the meat is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, skimming off any foam or oil that might accumulate on the surface. Check on the stew every 15 to 20 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent scorching or sticking. As you check on the stew, continue adding 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water, as needed, up to 2 1/2 to 3 cups total — to ensure there is enough liquid to cook down and concentrate. If the stew begins to stick, reduce the heat to low. The onions should fall apart, creating a thick, rich sauce that coats the meat.

When the stew is done, discard the bouquet garni, taste the stew and season with more salt, if desired. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
I miss him so much. Les Halles is my favorite cookbook.

Top Bottom