What's new

What is your favorite BOLD cologne?

It's impossible to have a bold cologne.
Dude, don’t be pedantic. The OP was clearly using the word “Cologne” as a generic catch-all term for fragrance. As evidenced by his own entry....I don’t think Joop is a Cologne. Why would you try and derail a fun thread just to prove a point....one that everyone already knows but just ignored because they understood the intent?

By the way, when I was growing up, men wore cologne and women wore perfume. Period. Notwithstanding the different versions....cologne, EDT, EDC, Parfum.

Dude, don’t be pedantic. The OP was clearly using the word “Cologne” as a generic catch-all term for fragrance. As evidenced by his own entry....I don’t think Joop is a Cologne. Why would you try and derail a fun thread just to prove a point....one that everyone already knows but just ignored because they understood the intent?

By the way, when I was growing up, men wore cologne and women wore perfume. Period. Notwithstanding the different versions....cologne, EDT, EDC, Parfum.
A donkey is a donkey, a horse is a horse. Everyone knows the difference. The whole world knows a cologne is a cologne, and an EDT is an EDT except for two countries in North America. Imagine if you called your horses - donkeys, how foolish you would look to the rest of the world.

And derailing a thread? Virtually every fragrance thread is derailed by posts about aftershaves brands...

Last edited:
Aramis cologne.

Yes - cologne; it's the loudest frag in da haus...

17553-aramis-aramis-900-herbal-eau-de-cologne-spray-100ml.jpg
aramis-devin-country-cologne-n-a.jpg
610a6jrX00L._SX466_.jpg

A donkey is a donkey, a horse is a horse. Everyone knows the difference. The whole world knows a cologne is a cologne, and an EDT is an EDT except for two countries in North America. Imagine if you called your horses - donkeys, how foolish you would look to the rest of the world.

Dmitry Bortnikoff, a Russian making niche fragrances in Thailand and selling to every corner of the globe, might disagree with you assessment of what the world understands a "cologne" to be. Not only does his Cologne line of fragrances (Amber Cologne, Moss Cologne and Vesna Cologne) tweak the "traditional cologne structure" with lots of non-traditional ingredients, they are also Eau de Parfums, so they are quite "bold".

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 8.05.02 PM.png

Dmitry Bortnikoff, a Russian making niche fragrances in Thailand and selling to every corner of the globe, might disagree with you assessment of what the world understands a "cologne" to be. Not only does his Cologne line of fragrances (Amber Cologne, Moss Cologne and Vesna Cologne) tweak the "traditional cologne structure" with lots of non-traditional ingredients, they are also Eau de Parfums, so they are quite "bold".

View attachment 1145354
Then they are clearly Eau de Parfums

View attachment 1145354
If you have a look at an Atlas from 1900 you see that the French, German, Dutch, Portuguese and British Empires spanned the globe. South America was previously Spanish and Portuguese. They all know the Cologne tradition. The only independent countries were Abyssinia/Ethiopia and Siam/Thailand.
The upper classes of Eastern Europe followed the French tradition with fragrances from Rallet and Brocard.
So Thailand is not a great example with a Russian of dubious nature.

If you have a look at an Atlas from 1900 you see that the French, German, Dutch, Portuguese and British Empires spanned the globe. South America was previously Spanish and Portuguese. They all know the Cologne tradition. The only independent countries were Abyssinia/Ethiopia and Siam/Thailand.
The upper classes of Eastern Europe followed the French tradition with fragrances from Rallet and Brocard.
So Thailand is not a great example with a Russian of dubious nature.

Apologies, I don't have a 200+ year old atlas lying around to check your facts, but I'll make sure to find one post haste!

Sarcasm aside, you recently stated the following:

When I provided an example that showed that a successful perfumer working outside of North America uses the term "Cologne" in a non-traditional manner, you then back-peddled and essentially asserted that Thailand and Russia don't count for some reason (last I checked, they would still be considered part of "the rest of the world"). You also asserted that Dmitry Bortnikoff is perfumer of "dubious nature", which quite frankly, sounds like an uninformed opinion, as Bortnikoff fragrances are considered by many in the fragrance community to be of the highest quality.

Cologne has a very long and storied history. I get it. But just as the ingredients used in a vast majority of modern colognes share little or no relationship to "traditional" Eau de Cologne, the use of the term itself has evolved over the centuries.

Last edited:
Apologies, I don't have a 200+ year old atlas lying around to check your facts, but I'll make sure to find one post haste!

Sarcasm aside, you recently stated the following:

When I provided an example that showed that a successful perfumer working outside of North America uses the term "Cologne" in a non-traditional manner, you then back-peddled and essentially asserted that Thailand and Russia don't count for some reason (last I checked, they would still be considered part of "the rest of the world"). You also asserted that Dmitry Bortnikoff is perfumer of "dubious nature", which quite frankly, sounds like an uninformed opinion, as Bortnikoff fragrances are considered by many in the fragrance community to be of the highest quality.

Cologne has a very long and storied history. I get it. But just as the ingredients used in a vast majority of modern colognes share little or no relationship to "traditional" Eau de Cologne, the use of the term itself has evolved over the centuries.
I haven't fully read your reply, I have been on Basenotes for 11 to 12 years. I have hundreds of fragrances, yet I haven't heard of him. Anyway my second to last word on the subject is this. This is what I am reading:

OP: What's your boldest Florida Water?
Me: I am confused, how can Florida Water be bold?
Someone: Don't be pedantic, he's using the generic term.
Me: No, he's using the wrong term.
Someone else: A famous guy you haven't heard of has added more chilli powder to a Madras curry, making it a Phall, still calling it a Madras. The Chef is an idiot, and wrong!

Last edited:
I haven't fully read your reply, I have been on Basenotes for 11 to 12 years. I have hundreds of fragrances, yet I haven't heard of him.

In two and a half years since the thread started, there have been 2360 replies to a single Basenotes thread. And here are plenty of other references to Bortnikoff on BN.

Another favorite bold cologne of mine. Yeah I said it COLOGNE aka the generic name used to denote men's fragrances regardless of concentration. Don't get caught up in the image or name of this because it has nothing to do with surf and sand, IMO.
AmouageBeachHutMan.jpg

Another favorite bold cologne of mine. Yeah I said it COLOGNE aka the generic name used to denote men's fragrances regardless of concentration. Don't get caught up in the image or name of this because it has nothing to do with surf and sand, IMO.
View attachment 1145700
That's a BOLD fragrance, all right! I remember spraying this on my arm and being able to smell it the next day... after playing basketball and taking a long shower! 😉

Top Bottom