What's new

What is your favorite boar brush?

According to me I have most of the boars worth having, but not quite enough boars, so it's a very hard choice.

View attachment 875628

My answer today is the brush I will probably use today:Zenith Short and Scrubby: 24mm knot. 43 mm loft.

My measurements, not the vendor's.

proxy.php

My answer tomorrow is likely to be different.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I have a question for you about that brush. I have a B07-EUROAL Zenith boar that is 24 X 57. I thoroughly enjoy the brush but often find myself wishing it had a shorter loft. Is the Short and Scrubby the same knot set lower?

Semogue 620. Mine has broken in beautifully yet still retains backbone.
Runner-up: Omega 40033 (Wide Waist Midget). A little beast for backbone.

For many decades my favorite Boar brushes were my Rubberset 400s and they still remain right at the top. My Thater Ultimate Boar is also right up there.
But lately a couple others have joined the group at the very top, some really inexpensive Indian boar brushes from 999 Shaving and a really nice Rooney boar.

So which one is your favorite?

Hi Jim,

I have a question for you about that brush. I have a B07-EUROAL Zenith boar that is 24 X 57. I thoroughly enjoy the brush but often find myself wishing it had a shorter loft. Is the Short and Scrubby the same knot set lower?

Please do not derail the thread. This should have been a PM message.

Please do not derail the thread. This should have been a PM message.
Sorry if you thought my post was too far off topic. I don’t think it was, and certainly many threads in this forum frequently wander further afield than a specific question about a particular boar brush in a thread about favorite boar brushes.
Feel free to have the moderator remove my post if it bothers you that much.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim,

I don't know really. I don't have the 24x57, and I'm no expert at all on these Zeniths. I just know I like them. The eBay vendor has responded to questions I've asked of him, so maybe ask him. I can not imagine not liking the Short and Scrubby if you are drawn to the short lofts in these boars. It is, for me, a really fine brush.

I have the 26x57 and like it a whole lot, too, and I'm planning to acquire the 28x50 Big Scubby in Aluminum when it becomes available.

Which of these will end up being my favorite boar? Ah, interesting question. My guess is I'm going to love all of them, and my favorite will be today's brush.

That is not me saying I like all boars equally well, of course, but I like a lot of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This might be my favorite.

Aluminum Big Scrubby 28x50.jpg

I'll let you know.

upload_2018-4-14_16-40-57.png

Or soon will be. Just became available again on eBay.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is Big and Scrubby. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks.

Zenith.Short&Scrubby.640.4-18.JPG Zenith.26x57.Damp.640.4-18.JPG

Short & Scrubby...........Aluminum 26x57

I already know I like the handle because it is the same as my 26x57. I already know I like the Small and Scrubby. I should like the Big & Scrubby, too, but one never knows. So, I hope so, too.

How many favorite boars can a guy have?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks.

I already know I like the handle because it is the same as my 26x57. I already know I like the Small and Scrubby. I should like the Big & Scrubby, too, but one never knows. So, I hope so, too.

How many favorite boars can a guy have?

Happy shaves,
Jim

Don't ask a question like that on this forum. No telling what the answer might be.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So which one is your favorite?
When my daughter was in the first grade her favorite food was Libby's Vienna Sausages. Give her a can of Vienna Sausages and she was a happy camper. But she grew up.

I guess I'm like my daughter; I grew up and no longer have a favorite but rather many favorites.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't ask a question like that on this forum. No telling what the answer might be.

When my daughter was in the first grade her favorite food was Libby's Vienna Sausages. Give her a can of Vienna Sausages and she was a happy camper. But she grew up.

I guess I'm like my daughter; I grew up and no longer have a favorite but rather many favorites.

What's that they say? Oh, yeah, it ain't true without pictures.

Ha, I've seen the pictures. You guys have some serious claims to a wide range of favorites.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Boar brushes.JPG
I've had so many boar brushes over the years and I gave away most of them sold only a couple. Now I am down to just 3 boars, my Semogue 820, Thater, B&B. I love all 3 of them.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How do you like the feel of that aluminum handle?

I don't have the Zenith Big Scrubby yet, but the handle in the Zenith 26x57 is just fine. Not too big. Not too light. And, for me this is important, not too heavy.

Mondial.Zenith.Aluminum.640.4-18.JPG

My Mondial has a very similar handle in brushed aluminum. It, too, is a very nice boar brush. I like both brushes very much. Just new out of the box both are very soft for boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I cannot narrow it down to only one, but the three boar brushes I absolutely adore are my Omega Pro 49, SOC, and B&B Essentials. All three are excellent for different reasons, and I don't care to live without any of them. I really could get rid of the rest of my brushes, and I probably ought to.

I'm down to three boars. A frosted blue B&B essential boar from 3 or 4 years ago. A SOC boar that's several years old and well broken in. A Thater Premium boar that I picked up in late December.

I want to love the SOC, I really do, but it's such a lather hog that it can be quite annoying some times. I was told and believed that it would get better as it broke in. Its very well broken in and if anything I believe it got worse. I keep it around just because its one of those brushes that it seems like everyone should have.

The B&B Essential is a very good brush and will always have a place in my den.

The Thater Premium, well, I got it in late December and its literally the only brush I've used since. Its getting quite broken in now and just does everything well.

I am in the RV group buy so I have a new badger on the way. I'll finally set the Thater aside when the RV gets here.

Top Bottom