What's new

What is your favorite BBQ sauce

Since bbq sauce is not consumed much here, we dont have variety. So far the best for me is HP spicy bbq. New franks was good too.

KC Masterpiece Original (can't find this in Canada but I do manage to get my hands on a couple of bottles a year)

My favorite store bought sauce is Gates & Sons Original. Whenever I am cooking for a catering event I always use Cattleman's. More BBQ professionals use it than any other sauce. Plus you can buy it by the gallon if you need that much. I prepared 20 briskets for the wedding reception of a daughter of a friend of mine. The groom's father kept bugging me to have the recipe for my BBQ sauce. I had him get a pad and pencil and told him it was my secret recipe handed down in my family for years. I said you can have this recipe but he could never sell it or give it out to anyone. I took the pad and pen and wrote:

1.go to Sam's Club
2. Find food section.
3. Find where ketchup is
4. next to Ketchup is the gallon jugs of CattleMan's BBQ sauce
5. Put Jug of cattleman's in cart and pay for it as you check out.

I had to bring out the jug I had and show this guy because he would not believe it was store bought sauce.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chile sauce
1/2 cup rum
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

In a saucepan over low heat, mix the brown sugar, chile sauce, rum, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, dry mustard, and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.

I think this recipe is a great starting point. If you don't have brown sugar, use a little molasses and white suger.

Try substituting bourbon for rum, too.

Rarely do we use bottled BBQ sauce without significant modifications. The base is either 3/4 bottle of Diane's or Bull's-Eye, about an inch of Matouk's pepper sauce, a smashed clove of garlic, a tbsp of montreal steak spice ground very fine in a mortar'n'pestle, some rosemary+basil (or oregano), and a tsp of Worcestershire sauce (to cut some of the bote from the pepper sauce).

Generally I use KC Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Rays.

But your mix sounds really good :o16: and I'm between bottles at the moment, so I'll be shopping to make your custom sauce tomorrow. But I don't think I've ever heard of Matouk's pepper sauce before.

Off to Google I go :001_smile

Last edited:
When I'm not making my own, I like KC Masterpiece Original, Stubbs Original, and the sauce made by Angelos (a Fort Worth institution that markets their sauce locally). The sauce depends on the animal on the smoker.

I will say that I add a little Sriracha hot sauce to every store bought brand I use.

Cheers!

I've been making my own dry rub for years, and do ribs on a wood burning pit with nothing but the rub. My son & I own a BBQ & beer joint in Palm Bay Florida, The Broken Barrel Tavern. He uses an "improved" version of my rub there. If you're in the area and love suds and Q, drop in. We've got 42 taps and over 300 bottled beers - you'll find something you like. As far as bottled, store-bought sauces go there are different categories. I'm not a fan of the KC type sauces, they're too sweet for me; my favorite tomato based sauce is Strickland's (a southern sauce as far as I know). In the no tomato area, I'm a huge fan of CHS - Coleman's Hot Sauce. This one is quite local around Florence, SC. It has no tomato in it, just vinegar, mustard, and a LOT of ground pepper(s) of an unknown and probably secret variety; no sugar as well means you can cook from the beginning with this one. A word of warning - one coat per side on pork chops (thick ones) is enough for a lot of men and most women. Two per side will clear out your sinuses. Three, and if you are still smiling you've burned out all your oral sensory apparatus.

But I digress. For me the epitome of barbecue is pulled pork with an eastern Carolina style vinegar sauce, brand or homemade doesn't much matter. Put this on the cheapest old white burger bun you can find, or barring that, plain old white store bought air bread. Top this with cole slaw made with a mayo and afore mentioned vinegar bbq sauce combo, and I'm in hog :001_tt2: heaven.

Brisket and chicken are a whole other story.

Ford

+1 on the Stubbs, especially when used as a finisher after cooking the ribs or chops with Stubbs Mop Sauce. This works quite well on whole chickens or split breasts. :001_tt2:

Ford

+1 on KC Masterpiece.
Thereafter:
Bullseye
Stubbs
Sweet Baby Ray's.

I would recommend trying to make your own. It's not hard at all, and there are thousands of recipes on-line.

Top Bottom