What's new

What is your favorite BBQ sauce

Porkchop Slobber, local to Jeffersonville. When I do pulled pork there is only choice: homemade NC style vinegar base.

Another vote for Sweet Baby Rays...I prefer the spicy one.

I make my own sauce sometimes, but on a weeknight when I'm in a hurry and just want to grill up something, it's SBR's.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chile sauce
1/2 cup rum
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

In a saucepan over low heat, mix the brown sugar, chile sauce, rum, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, dry mustard, and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.

I started to salivate with this post. Sounds like a great simple sauce.

I never make the same sauce twice. Some tomato based, some not. My BBQ sauces are influenced by various Indian cuisines (Tandoori grilling and Indian spices), Chinese, South African, and Jamacian as well as traditional American BBQ styles. I often eat at a local 'rib joint' for traditional Southern BBQ They run their food in smokers all day and their sauce is superb, so I'd rather go there and let them do the work. They do sell their sauce, but that's just half the story. Ribs, chicken, tritip, brisket and pulled pork classically done.

---
Ken

By this point, I am drooling. You know everything in this post is excellent.

I've been making my own dry rub for years, and do ribs on a wood burning pit with nothing but the rub. My son & I own a BBQ & beer joint in Palm Bay Florida, The Broken Barrel Tavern. He uses an "improved" version of my rub there. If you're in the area and love suds and Q, drop in. We've got 42 taps and over 300 bottled beers - you'll find something you like. As far as bottled, store-bought sauces go there are different categories. I'm not a fan of the KC type sauces, they're too sweet for me; my favorite tomato based sauce is Strickland's (a southern sauce as far as I know). In the no tomato area, I'm a huge fan of CHS - Coleman's Hot Sauce. This one is quite local around Florence, SC. It has no tomato in it, just vinegar, mustard, and a LOT of ground pepper(s) of an unknown and probably secret variety; no sugar as well means you can cook from the beginning with this one. A word of warning - one coat per side on pork chops (thick ones) is enough for a lot of men and most women. Two per side will clear out your sinuses. Three, and if you are still smiling you've burned out all your oral sensory apparatus.

But I digress. For me the epitome of barbecue is pulled pork with an eastern Carolina style vinegar sauce, brand or homemade doesn't much matter. Put this on the cheapest old white burger bun you can find, or barring that, plain old white store bought air bread. Top this with cole slaw made with a mayo and afore mentioned vinegar bbq sauce combo, and I'm in hog :001_tt2: heaven.

Brisket and chicken are a whole other story.

Ford

At this point, I need to stop reading this post before SWMBO comes home.

Top Bottom