What's new

What is your experience with 0.05micron lapping film?

Lapping film 0.05 micron

I can get a really nice edge with 0.05 micron lapping film after progression
on lapping film ...., 1m, 0.3m, clean linen stropping, 0.05m, clean linen stropping & leather.

I prefer using it with printer paper under the lapping film.
Use running water and stay for a while on the film to get any result.
Use mostly edge trailing but also edge leading strokes.
Only very very light strokes.
The edge only lasts for one shave (as a really nice edge that is also skin friendly and 7-days beard) and the second shave is just ok-good.

I can't compare it with other high grit synthetic as Naniwa 10 000# is the highest I have.
I get a rather well shaving edge with this stone, but it only last one shaves. Easy to get the same edge back only using the 10 000# Naniwa.

What is your experience with 0.05micron lapping film?

I used to use this with "pico paper" as a base layer. It was described in the method thread, and was the go to until diamond balsa was added.

The edges were more than satisfactory. I haven't used a pico paper edge in a while though, as I find diamond balsa more convenient.

@PintoPlain , I haven't tested the balsa yet, not even bought the material so far.
But it is fun to compare edges regarding how the shaving is WTG, ATG, edge longevity and skin friendliness.

I read that you get as good or even better results with the balsa after 0.3 micron LF than progressing to 0.05 micron LF.
And that you find it more convenient to use.

Correct?

I do the 0.5, 0.25 then 0.1 diamond balsa progression after the 1u lapping film. I have not tried going from 0.3 LF to balsa, so I can't comment based on personal experience.

Upon saying that, I see no reason why using a 0.1 diamond balsa after the 0.3 LF wouldn't work. I'm sure it has been done before, but I don't remember the thread.

I do the 0.5, 0.25 then 0.1 diamond balsa progression after the 1u lapping film. I have not tried going from 0.3 LF to balsa, so I can't comment based on personal experience.

Upon saying that, I see no reason why using a 0.1 diamond balsa after the 0.3 LF wouldn't work. I'm sure it has been done before, but I don't remember the thread.
My own preference when using film was to finish on .3 film over paper, then do the full balsa progression. Yes, .5 diamond is technically coarser than .3 film, but the way we apply it and use it, it still refines the edge coming off the film. I never used the .05 films, I have a few sheets.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm still a noob at SR shaving and absolute beginner at honing. After SR shave #30 I practiced honing a beat up piece of junk I got from Etsy. I ended with 0.05u lapping film, no paper underneath, and shaved with it directly after that. I really enjoyed that edge, the blade is bent/warped, so it was only sharp in the middle area, but I think it's maybe the best edge I've shaved with so far (less tuggy feeling and closer shave). I call it beginners luck. Now if I can just replicate that next time... Every time...

It's possible I perceive the results as good because this razor has a different bevel angle. I won't know until I try with other razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom