What's new

What is your experience head-shaving with a DE?

Hey guys!

I have been head-shaving for about 3 years, used a cartridge until a few months ago when I started using the Qshave adjustable razor.
I found out that generally, I prefer a milder setting with a sharper blade (Astra SP), I don't like much blade-feel on the dome and milder blades had a hard time with the thick hair at the sides.
Overall it'll take me about 3 passes and some buffing to get a shave as close as with a cart.

I'd like to hear about your experiences with head-shaving using a DE, what did you find worked best for you?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have used DE since the first time I shaved my head. I have also used Merkur futur clone=Mingshi 2000/Qshave for a while.

But some of its problems did cause me trouble:
1. The fat cap makes it difficult to enter the details behind my ears.
2. The shape of the razor's head is easy to retain some water, and it is not easy to flow out when it is lightly shaken, but it will suddenly flow out during the shaving process and let the soapy water fall into the eyes.
3. The blade is kept farther away, so there is a lack of edge stability, which is also the main reason for the loud blade chattering; the blade bounce will reduce the stability of passing thick hair and the skin comfort.

Even though I still like its shave head effect most of the time.
The above-mentioned troubles that I originally ignored appeared repeatedly, until I realized that it did not perform as well as my other razors. Even if I tried to use the original merkur futur later, a similar situation occurred. It can be seen that this is a problem with the original design.

-----
Now I prefer to shave my head with a neutral exposure razor to avoid cutting some skin imperfections that cannot be seen in the mirror (such as a small scar on the back of my head).

Most of the time, the neutral blade exposure + sb/sc safety bar razor is enough to meet my needs.
→RR mamba, RR GC84, RR lupo, Rockwell 6s, Gillette slim ,Timeless ti68 sc, Feather as-d2, Pils

If I want to improve efficiency, I have the following options as my mood and preferences change:
1. Neutral blade exposure + small gap open comb.
2. Neutral blade exposure + large gap.
It can still ensure that I am comfortable and bloodless, and have completely removed the hair with a very casual and relaxing brush strokes.
→Gillette new sc, RR lupo ss dc , Wolfman wr2 1.05

Rex ambassador with positive exposure has gradually made me comfortable, but it does require more attention.

Head shaving with a DE is quite easy actually. I have used many DE’s on my head shaves. I get good result with many DEs like Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador, Blackbird etc.

Use the same DEs on my head as my beard. I got better with practice but no real difficulty from the beginning.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

After many years with carts on the dome and face, I started with the classic Merkur 34C. Great to learn on, but lacked efficiency. Got a Henson, both mild and medium. The Henson immediately gave my first BBS on the back fringe; no cart was ever able to do that. The Henson medium remains my go-to for comfortable and efficient head shaving. The light weight, mild "safe" feel, and super high efficiency makes it the perfect head shaver for me.

As I tried a greater variety of razors over the last few months, I preferred more aggressive razors on the head. I love the efficiency, but heavier razors tend to draw blood unexpectedly. I recently acquired two awesome aluminum razors, the Timeless and the Above The Tie SB 90. The medium aggression is perfect for me, and I prefer the lighter weight. The Henson is still my favorite, but the Timeless and ATT are pretty close.

After many years with carts on the dome and face, I started with the classic Merkur 34C. Great to learn on, but lacked efficiency. Got a Henson, both mild and medium. The Henson immediately gave my first BBS on the back fringe; no cart was ever able to do that. The Henson medium remains my go-to for comfortable and efficient head shaving. The light weight, mild "safe" feel, and super high efficiency makes it the perfect head shaver for me.

As I tried a greater variety of razors over the last few months, I preferred more aggressive razors on the head. I love the efficiency, but heavier razors tend to draw blood unexpectedly. I recently acquired two awesome aluminum razors, the Timeless and the Above The Tie SB 90. The medium aggression is perfect for me, and I prefer the lighter weight. The Henson is still my favorite, but the Timeless and ATT are pretty close.
+1 on this.
For me, nothing beats the Henson Mild for my sensitive skin, especially for my dome.
Great balance of comfort and efficiency.
CNC milled to perfection.
Worth every penny.

The best I’ve found is Rex Envoy. Just really feels like I’m making progress with each pass, with nearly every blade I’ve tried. Previously I had been using Henson medium, with good results but only with sharp blades.

Top Bottom