What's new

What is your EDC?

SIG P938 in a IWB holster ~80% of the time with a spare mag in a pocket or IWB mag carrier. LCP Custom in the pocket for the balance.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Looks like your set. :)

Generally so. I sometimes rotate items. If I plan on doing some more work I’ll swap the knife and micro tool for a Charge TTi. If I’m going camping I’ll bring more than one light. So on and so forth. The Microtech is more of a fun knife than anything so if I need a knife that won’t fail to fire I’ll take something like my Strider SnG or a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 if I don’t want to lose my knife. So on and so forth. I’ve been into EDC gear for a while. An account on EDCForums as well plus accounts on CPF and a few gun sites. My wife can attest that I get a little crazy over gear. :p

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Generally so. I sometimes rotate items. If I plan on doing some more work I’ll swap the knife and micro tool for a Charge TTi. If I’m going camping I’ll bring more than one light. So on and so forth. The Microtech is more of a fun knife than anything so if I need a knife that won’t fail to fire I’ll take something like my Strider SnG or a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 if I don’t want to lose my knife. So on and so forth. I’ve been into EDC gear for a while. An account on EDCForums as well plus accounts on CPF and a few gun sites. My wife can attest that I get a little crazy over gear. :p

Multi-pocket BDU's are your friend. :)

P938 in a R Grizzle Horse hide.
20180417_201356.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Sweet gun and holster! I like seeing a holster that actually looks like it has been used!!!

Shield in 9mm with iwb versa-carry... tucked away with jeans and LS collared shirt is my weekday routine... 1911 in 45 in a DeSantis owb on weekends.

I don't carry extra mags on me. Keep an extra for each in the truck and briefcase.

OkieStubble

I realized I have never posted my everyday carry gear before. So, here it is. :)

In the Office with Jacket: Glock Sport Combat Holster.

In the Field with Polo Shirt: Uncle Mike's Ballistic Nylon Pancake Holster with Retention Strap.

IMG_0207.jpg

Indoor Training: Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster with Internal Retention.

Outdoor Training: BlackHawk Serpa CQC Holster with Finger Release Auto Lock Retention.

IMG_0209.jpg

OkieStubble

Off Duty Concealed IWB: Uncle Mike's 4-Laminate Suede Inside The Waistband.

Off Duty Concealed OWB: Glock Sport Combat Holster Outside The Waistband.

IMG_0210.jpg

I believe in ugly, hard working holsters, for ugly, hard working Glocks. :) One day soon, when I finally retire, myself and the Glocks, I will be sporting some pretty leather holsters for my civilian carry Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum and for my soon to be 1911 .45 ACP.

EDIT: Mrs. OkieStubble wanted me to post a pic; and show off her stuff also... :2guns:

She's got some leather OWB gear for home carry & training. A Stealth Gear IWB for when she wears jacket & slack to work; and some type of sticky holster, for when she wears blouse & skirt. I'm not sure of the brand.

IMG_0211.jpg

My normal carry is a Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag.
glock 001.JPG
Just for a change of pace today I'm going to carry my Glock 19....

In the Office with Jacket: Glock Sport Combat Holster.

In the Field with Polo Shirt: Uncle Mike's Ballistic Nylon Pancake Holster with Retention Strap.

Indoor Training: Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster with Internal Retention.

Outdoor Training: BlackHawk Serpa CQC Holster with Finger Release Auto Lock Retention.

I'm curious, Rob...

Different holsters between training and duty carry? Based on the general theme of your previous posts on handguns, it kind of doesn't sound like, well, you!

Don

OkieStubble

I'm curious, Rob...

Different holsters between training and duty carry? Based on the general theme of your previous posts on handguns, it kind of doesn't sound like, well, you!

Don

Well Don, I don't know if i'm sure of what you mean by "general theme?" :) Ya might have to quote me a couple of those past posts of mine, so I can understand what you mean? Also not sure of "previous post on handguns?"

I think I can give an adequate explanation on your question, "Different holsters between training and duty carry?

First I'll give you a little background. Most patrol officers who work the street Don, can tell you, that there are two different types of training with their issued duty carry pistols. Formal training and informal training.

"Formal Training" Don, requires the officer to be in their full duty gear. This usually, consists of their issued duty belt, which most likely carries a level 3 retention duty holster, double magazine holder, flashlight, two pairs of handcuffs, baton/ASP and /or X26 Taser and holster. Most likely, they are in full uniform also, whether it's street gear or Class A.

"Informal Training" Don, usually consists of a more casual approach, like learning new techniques or inter department training with officers from many different departments and is outside of the training spectrum of an officers official capacity and standard operating procedures for their specific department.

I don't know of any officer, who doesn't incorporate, own, have, use or apply, another type holster, off duty, informal type holster/'s to or with their actual duty gear that they use on patrol. There are other officers here, past and present, who should be able to verify this. I worked patrol my first 8 years from 97' to 05'. Three of those as a Patrol Sergeant.

I was promoted to a Training Sergeant in 2005 and spent 10 years as an academy instructor and field training officer. Our department hiring and training, cycles every year annually. This means I got to wear informal holsters training cadets in the academy for 6 months during the winter & spring; and I wore a full duty uniform & gear training rookies for 6 months on the street in their FTO phases, in summer & fall.

So in thinking about it, there's a pretty good chance that I have most likely, clocked many hundreds of training hours more, on all my holsters separately, than the "average civilian carry" does, on a single holster Don.

For myself personally now, I haven't worn a duty belt or patrolled the street in almost 2 years, since my last promotion. 90% of my time, is in an office behind a desk and the other 10% in the field. If I'm behind a desk I am in a suit or dress shirt and slacks. If I am in the field, I am on call and have been awakened from bed to respond to an incident, or one of my officers has gotten themselves into some deep do do and I have been summoned to get it straightened out.

So what you see in that first photo I posted Don, is my duty gear. :) Unless I have been invited to attend a parade to wave at the people, or am filling in for the Chief or the Major at a "Dog & Pony Show," I try to stay away from the Class A monkey suit as much as I can. ;)

In the second photo, you see the two holsters I used for a decade in the academy training many, countless cadets. The first holster in that pic, I used strictly for classroom. That's why it still looks so clean and pretty. :) The Blackhawk spent all it's time on an outdoor range and it has seen the dirt & gravel up close, many times. Other then training cadets, I will use them for when I am in search of my own personal training.

In fact, I am actually doing my yearly qual's tomorrow morning and then sitting in a class afterwards to get my yearly hours in, on Mental Health. So will again, be using both of those holster tomorrow.

The third pic, is of my off duty holsters. Most people who carry, that I know of anyway, whether civilian or off duty LE, either have or want an IWB and OWB. holster. My IWB for hot weather, is the Uncle Mike's inside the pant. I'm pretty sure I have stated this fact here for years and even have gotten teased about it's "cheapness?" :)

In the winter, I switch to the same polymer Glock holster that I use at work in the office when i am wearing a suit jacket. All of these holster I have used for 15 years or more maybe with many hours of training on each one and many years of carry with each one. So to me, I don't see the inconsistency of which you speak?

Once I retire, I plan on beginning a new chapter in civilian paradise and most likely will be down to just two brand spanking new, shiny, pretty, leather holsters for my pretty to me, Ruger SP 101 and my brand spanking new 1911.

(which I am hoping, will be a Springfield) :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well Don, I don't know if i'm sure of what you mean by "general theme?" :) Ya might have to quote me a couple of those past posts of mine, so I can understand what you mean? Also not sure of "previous post on handguns?"

I think I can give an adequate explanation on your question, "Different holsters between training and duty carry?

First I'll give you a little background. Most patrol officers who work the street Don, can tell you, that there are two different types of training with their issued duty carry pistols. Formal training and informal training.

"Formal Training" Don, requires the officer to be in their full duty gear. This usually, consists of their issued duty belt, which most likely carries a level 3 retention duty holster, double magazine holder, flashlight, two pairs of handcuffs, baton/ASP and /or X26 Taser and holster. Most likely, they are in full uniform also, whether it's street gear or Class A.

"Informal Training" Don, usually consists of a more casual approach, like learning new techniques or inter department training with officers from many different departments and is outside of the training spectrum of an officers official capacity and standard operating procedures for their specific department.

I don't know of any officer, who doesn't incorporate, own, have, use or apply, another type holster, off duty, informal type holster/'s to or with their actual duty gear that they use on patrol. There are other officers here, past and present, who should be able to verify this. I worked patrol my first 8 years from 97' to 05'. Three of those as a Patrol Sergeant.

I was promoted to a Training Sergeant in 2005 and spent 10 years as an academy instructor and field training officer. Our department hiring and training, cycles every year annually. This means I got to wear informal holsters training cadets in the academy for 6 months during the winter & spring; and I wore a full duty uniform & gear training rookies for 6 months on the street in their FTO phases, in summer & fall.

So in thinking about it, there's a pretty good chance that I have most likely, clocked many hundreds of training hours more, on all my holsters separately, than the "average civilian carry" does, on a single holster Don.

For myself personally now, I haven't worn a duty belt or patrolled the street in almost 2 years, since my last promotion. 90% of my time, is in an office behind a desk and the other 10% in the field. If I'm behind a desk I am in a suit or dress shirt and slacks. If I am in the field, I am on call and have been awakened from bed to respond to an incident, or one of my officers has gotten themselves into some deep do do and I have been summoned to get it straightened out.

So what you see in that first photo I posted Don, is my duty gear. :) Unless I have been invited to attend a parade to wave at the people, or am filling in for the Chief or the Major at a "Dog & Pony Show," I try to stay away from the Class A monkey suit as much as I can. ;)

In the second photo, you see the two holsters I used for a decade in the academy training many, countless cadets. The first holster in that pic, I used strictly for classroom. That's why it still looks so clean and pretty. :) The Blackhawk spent all it's time on an outdoor range and it has seen the dirt & gravel up close, many times. Other then training cadets, I will use them for when I am in search of my own personal training.

In fact, I am actually doing my yearly qual's tomorrow morning and then sitting in a class afterwards to get my yearly hours in, on Mental Health. So will again, be using both of those holster tomorrow.

The third pic, is of my off duty holsters. Most people who carry, that I know of anyway, whether civilian or off duty LE, either have or want an IWB and OWB. holster. My IWB for hot weather, is the Uncle Mike's inside the pant. I'm pretty sure I have stated this fact here for years and even have gotten teased about it's "cheapness?" :)

In the winter, I switch to the same polymer Glock holster that I use at work in the office when i am wearing a suit jacket. All of these holster I have used for 15 years or more maybe with many hours of training on each one and many years of carry with each one. So to me, I don't see the inconsistency of which you speak?

Once I retire, I plan on beginning a new chapter in civilian paradise and most likely will be down to just two brand spanking new, shiny, pretty, leather holsters for my pretty to me, Ruger SP 101 and my brand spanking new 1911.

I see Don's point (use only one thing so it's habit) but your post is very well put. I understand and agree completely.

I was on patrol for years, and a patrol supervisor for years, and misdemeanor investigator for a few years, then a felony investigator for for the DA's office for awhile.

I have duty gear, OWB and IWB holsters, shoulder holsters, ankle holsters (which I hate) and also pocket carry. I know how to use them all...with different types and models of firearms. And nothing is plastic. :lol: I don't know what I'd do if I was restricted to only one carry or type of firearm option. That ain't gonna happen.

and my brand spanking new 1911.

There is hope for Rob's redemption yet! Would you like some links to some nice stocks and some good leather holsters? :biggrin1:

I wasn't browbeating you, and certainly not challenging your experience as an LE officer.

Thematically, you seem to be a "train with what you'll use" kind of guy. I thought that by using different holsters for training and for carry seemed unusual. They don't all draw the same.

I'm no expert, just curious as to the reasons for having different holsters for training and for EDC. Honestly, I hope I NEVER have to draw and fire on someone.

Don

OkieStubble

I wasn't browbeating you, and certainly not challenging your experience as an LE officer.

Thematically, you seem to be a "train with what you'll use" kind of guy. I thought that by using different holsters for training and for carry seemed unusual. They don't all draw the same.

I'm no expert, just curious as to the reasons for having different holsters for training and for EDC. Honestly, I hope I NEVER have to draw and fire on someone.

Don

I never even considered that for a second Don, so no worries at all my friend. But I am still curious on your comment of the "general theme of my previous posts", that would have you think that one single holster for all different modes and purposes for carry would be ideal?

I can see your point with a a self defense pistol for a civilian and a duty pistol for LE, since the idea of combat or self defense purposed training, is to become one with the gun and to make that particular gun, an extension of your arm & hand.

I have carried only Glock for 21 years now come August; on duty and off; and I know it very well. But holsters are very purposed driven.

So, while I like to have a gun in the bathroom with me when I shower, doesn't mean I will get my duty holster from work wet, because I am wearing it while buck naked in the shower, but I do keep a small pocket holster inside the pocket of my bathrobe which hangs outside the shower, in which I keep a small .380. Very purposefully. Now ask me, if I have ever "practiced or trained" to get that .380 out of my robe in a hurry, while buck naked soaking wet... :)

And just to throw this out there because you did, I'm no expert either. :)

If I had a dollar for every time I have been wrong about something, I'd have retired long ago. ;)

I also won't wear an outside the pants belt setup for a full sized combat pistol while I am wearing shorts and flip flops. But I will carry that full sized set up while off duty in the winter with jackets and coats.

This is why I gave you some personal background, to show you, that since I am not a uniformed patrol officer anymore, that the holsters you see in the pics actually do and did, all translate into my daily duties as a non uniformed administrator and also as a former firearms instructor and also while off duty. I was in the performance of my duties, when in training of others. :)

And you are correct. My carry options are thematic and purposed driven. But to me, other then the retention strap on one of the Uncle Mike's, they really are all, pretty much, just in and out and all draw, the same for the most part.

So no offense here, whatsoever. I sure didn't intend to cause you any, hence the six different smiley emojis in my post. I apologize if I did. I just can't recall, any of my past posts as you suggested, that would of had you seeing inconsistency on holsters. When it comes to holsters, you should pay attention to @Acmemfg 's advice much more then mine.I am too much of a rebel when it comes to holsters. :) However, I am more than happy to own up to any contradictions you can show me I have made. Again, no worries my friend.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I see Don's point (use only one thing so it's habit) but your post is very well put. I understand and agree completely.

I was on patrol for years, and a patrol supervisor for years, and misdemeanor investigator for a few years, then a felony investigator for for the DA's office for awhile.

I have duty gear, OWB and IWB holsters, shoulder holsters, ankle holsters (which I hate) and also pocket carry. I know how to use them all...with different types and models of firearms. And nothing is plastic. :lol: I don't know what I'd do if I was restricted to only one carry or type of firearm option. That ain't gonna happen.

There is hope for Rob's redemption yet! Would you like some links to some nice stocks and some good leather holsters? :biggrin1:

Send em' my way! Always appreciated. Acme has given me some really nice holster resources also. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While I have nowhere near the LEO experience of Rob or Mike, I have had a fair amount of training, military, LEO and civilian (mostly the latter) and I carry different weapons in different holster styles and modes of carry. While familiarity with ones equipment is essential for both safety and tactical survival, one must be able to adapt to different carry modes and practice those to be safe and proficient. While a "one gun, one holster" model may be ideal for training the novice, those with greater experience would find it very limiting and impractical. If I find myself "out of practice" with a particular pistol that I haven't carried in a while, I might engage in some self imposed "remedial" training and shoot from an OWB holster instead of my usual preference of IWB. "Woods" guns are always carried in OWB holsters. I have two pistols I regularly carry "mexican", a S&W Airweight J frame Bodyguard with Barami Hip grips and my Keltec P11 with a belt clip as my "yard work" gun.

Top Bottom