What's new

What is your EDC knife?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Typically a SA fieldmaster:

20210614_124111.jpg

It's one of the few that have the Phillips, saw, and scissors. I think I get the most use out of the small blade and toothpick.

At night when I take my dogs for a walk it's the Kershaw Leek because I live in coyote and bobcat territory and I want something more dangerous than my bare hands.

Typically a SA fieldmaster:

View attachment 1281751

It's one of the few that have the Phillips, saw, and scissors. I think I get the most use out of the small blade and toothpick.

At night when I take my dogs for a walk it's the Kershaw Leek because I live in coyote and bobcat territory and I want something more dangerous than my bare hands.
Nothing against the Leek but wouldn’t a big stick or a small .38 be better suited against scavengers?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Nothing against the Leek but wouldn’t a big stick or a small .38 be better suited against scavengers?

A big stick is probably the best option. I live in California, so my choices are limited. I seem to have bad luck breaking the law and getting away with it, so I don't carry consealed guns, daggers, or switch blades.

Last edited:
A big stick is probably the best option. I live in California, so my choices are limited. I seem to have bad luck breaking the law and getting away with it, so I don't carry consealed guns, daggers, or switch baldes.
I know the marketing and Mr. Thompson himself are a bit wonky but the simpler not fantasy/killing dragons stuff might work for you. CS

A real wooden walking stick might be even nicer and more convenient to carry around than the polypropylene stuff from above.

I've carried this Kershaw folder for ages...
Kershaw.jpg

If you're having trouble seeing the picture, it's because the knife is camouflaged. As the Department Manager at a college I have no choice but to operate almost exclusively in shadow. Tactical deployments include surreptitious box cutting, stealthy, off-the-grid opening of first-class mail, covertly dispatching stubborn bags of Doritos™ corn chips and peeling apples during my... uh... highly classified "debriefing hour". This post will self-destruct in five seconds...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've carried this Kershaw folder for ages...
View attachment 1281767
If you're having trouble seeing the picture, it's because the knife is camouflaged. As the Department Manager at a college I have no choice but to operate almost exclusively in shadow. Tactical deployments include surreptitious box cutting, stealthy, off-the-grid opening of first-class mail, covertly dispatching stubborn bags of Doritos™ corn chips and peeling apples during my... uh... highly classified "debriefing hour". This post will self-destruct in five seconds...

Just don't drop it in the woods...

AA

Spyderco Ladybug in zdp 189. I still can't figure out how to sharpen the damn thing though and I've had it 4 years. Even the Shaptons are afeared of it. 🤔

Holds an edge forever though.

University in Texas? Somewhere in the Middle East?? Certainly not the U.K…….Trying to imagine where they actually wouldn’t freak these days about staff or students carrying knives. Unless you’re going to work in an arts department somewhere, or at a University like MIT, where they make and play with all sorts of fun and dangerous toys. :a34:

Anyway, good luck, hope you get the job. And the knife.

University in Texas? Somewhere in the Middle East?? Certainly not the U.K…….Trying to imagine where they actually wouldn’t freak these days about staff or students carrying knives. Unless you’re going to work in an arts department somewhere, or at a University like MIT, where they make and play with all sorts of fun and dangerous toys. :a34:

Anyway, good luck, hope you get the job. And the knife.
The University of Delaware. Trying to be the military coordinator there.

I‘ve been carrying my Lionsteel folder with Sleipner steel for a while now. When I first got it, I was really afraid that I made a mistake. I hated the Sleipner steel. After reprofiling it though, I love it! Absolutely love it Even though it’s not that pretty anymore.

FBA4C591-1072-446E-8EC0-6156F0034EE1.jpeg

So now that I have a folder that I’m not taking out of my pocket anytime soon, I’ve been getting into my fixed blades. All three of these blades are great, but the cold steel is exceptional! It’s hard to conceal though. You need to think it through.

CAB599B8-33D3-4742-9765-EDC2C7D7697B.jpeg

Top Bottom