What's new

What is your EDC knife?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Cheap Imperial for now. If I lose it oh well. I’ve carried a knife for as long as I can remember. There is hardly a day where I don’t need my knife for something. I have some nice knifes stashed away. Don’t want to abuse or lose them. I guess I’m like the person who used to put that ugly black bra on their car and drive it looking like the Lone Ranger so the guy that buys it from him has a nice pristine hood. 53954850-566A-4383-ADD4-2EAB78B79CFE.jpeg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
^^^ These guys have some great knives!

:letterk1: Hard to compete. But:

proxy.php

Colonial Mark 1 Navy working knife. Actually have been stuffing this one in my belt, but I work outside.

Ironically, it's not that good a knife... but it is plenty historic, made by the same WWII maker.

I mean it's fine, steel-wise. It's smaller than it looks, simple plastic (of some sort - Tennite) handle, etc. Meant to do work that the fabled Ka-Bar does not - opening boxes, cutting lines etc. It can hammer nothing, but at least its tip won't snap like a Ka-Bar's does (if abused). A video shows it punching holes in a car roof. (yawn)

I stuck a ferro rod in the sheath, and it does throw a fine spark. And the ergos, with that mushroom-shaped pommel are actually very good - it reverses in hand nicely.

Maybe it's not that bad.

AA
I shoulda stayed away from this thread. I just pulled the trigger on this Colonial knife. The mushroom pommel did it. I’ll use it for my hunting knife. I bought a case mushroom pommel knife and was disappointed at how I could feel the play when holding the grip and flexing the blade. I also deformed the edge of the knife field dressing a deer. The hollow ground blade is not a workhorse for sure. Maybe that was my fault. Case referred to it as a knife for hunting.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Smith & Wesson SWBLOP3. Assisted opener. The stay closed safety works great for keeping it shut when accidentally put into the laundry, so it doesn’t ruin a load of expensive work clothes.
D6DAFD56-2AF6-42E6-8352-3FD86D4CFCCE.jpeg

Been riding in my right side cargo pocket for about five years now. Easy to fetch, easy to open. Great one handed operation.
836DF31B-A658-460C-BC90-1E30D727D887.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I shoulda stayed away from this thread. I just pulled the trigger on this Colonial knife. The mushroom pommel did it. I’ll use it for my hunting knife. I bought a case mushroom pommel knife and was disappointed at how I could feel the play when holding the grip and flexing the blade. I also deformed the edge of the knife field dressing a deer. The hollow ground blade is not a workhorse for sure. Maybe that was my fault. Case referred to it as a knife for hunting.

🤔 If you have a respect for history or the Navy, it's worth having.

But it's no Busse, for sure. It does have good egos or hand feel, but it's a simple knife with ordinary materials. But it worked for most things then and I imagine it still will.

AA

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
🤔 If you have a respect for history or the Navy, it's worth having.

But it's no Busse, for sure. It does have good egos or hand feel, but it's a simple knife with ordinary materials. But it worked for most things then and I imagine it still will.

AA
As a matter of fact I’m a Navy veteran. I finished my active duty in 1972. I also have an orange handle pilot’s survival knife with a blade specifically made for cutting shroud lines. The knife is very cheaply made. I also have a couple Tango Lima 2 niners. TL29.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As a matter of fact I’m a Navy veteran. I finished my active duty in 1972. I also have an orange handle pilot’s survival knife with a blade specifically made for cutting shroud lines. The knife is very cheaply made. I also have a couple Tango Lima 2 niners. TL29.

Then you'll like it. A knife snob would point out its weaknesses, someone who appreciates a thing for what it is will use it for what it is for. I really do like the pommel and it's in my rotation.

Comes with neat 1942 paperwork recreations.

🤔 I'm also trying to get a Ontario Mk3 Navy knife, but they are on serious backorder... KaBar makes a Mk1 that is undoubtedly more stout, but I wanted to give the Colonial a shot.

AA

I imagine that if I carried this knife using the pocket clip as it’s intended, the scales would look a lot better. I never use a pocket clip, though several knives I own have them. The better part of valor is discretion, said the bard. These days people seem ready to presume bad intentions if you have a knife, so I don’t advertise the fact. When I grew up, every man had some sort of knife in his pocket, or at least that fact was presumed. Certainly carrying a knife has proved very useful to me.
Jack

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I imagine that if I carried this knife using the pocket clip as it’s intended, the scales would look a lot better. I never use a pocket clip, though several knives I own have them. The better part of valor is discretion, said the bard. These days people seem ready to presume bad intentions if you have a knife, so I don’t advertise the fact. When I grew up, every man had some sort of knife in his pocket, or at least that fact was presumed. Certainly carrying a knife has proved very useful to me.
Jack
The times they are a changing. And not for the better in my proud opinion. So I carry tools, in case I am called upon to fix a societal ill.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You're gonna' need a bigger toolbox.
LOL! Can you believe I bought a man bag a few years ago but have only used it for carry on for flights. Stupid purchase. I would never carry a weapon in it, or my wallet, so what's the point?

Maybe if my son ever gives me a grandbaby and is irresponsible enough to let me babysit......

Oh! The stories he could tell his mother if he only remembered!

Top Bottom