What's new

What is your EDC knife?

not really an EDC but I'm a bit on a Spyderco run at the moment...
View attachment 1364041
I own a similar full sized all black Matriarch (with the Emerson Wave) and it scares me. Not a knife I would ever carry around. IIRC it was designed for the CIA and other govt agencies that didnt want to/couldn’t carry guns but still defend themselves. One slash would seriously ruin someone’s day. 😱

Illegal in many places.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My Victorinox Deluxe Tinker is still my main go to pocket knife, but this little feller has seen a fair bit of use lately.

20211120_010303.jpg

I own a similar full sized all black Matriarch (with the Emerson Wave) and it scares me. Not a knife I would ever carry around. IIRC it was designed for the CIA and other govt agencies that didnt want to/couldn’t carry guns but still defend themselves. One slash would seriously ruin someone’s day. 😱

Illegal in many places.
There are many stories around. I only know one quote from Sal that this is a defensive design as you can’t stab with it. So the intention is to slash once and run. If you look at the concept behind the Yojimbo or Pkal you see that they have a much more aggressive approach. Google/YT Southnarc/Shivworks knives for further details.

Legion

Staff member
There are many stories around. I only know one quote from Sal that this is a defensive design as you can’t stab with it. So the intention is to slash once and run. If you look at the concept behind the Yojimbo or Pkal you see that they have a much more aggressive approach. Google/YT Southnarc/Shivworks knives for further details.
A slightly less "tactical" version of the idea is the Opinel pruning knife.

The design has been used for weapons in asian countries for hundreds of years, and it makes sense, replicating the claw of an animal.

PruningFoldingKinfe_2000x.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
It is really tiny. Only a 2.2“ blade and it’s cute, so until now nobody ever has raised an eyebrow.
Just saw it on a vendor's website for about $30US. Billed as an oyster shucker. Neat little knife, though, that comes in several colors. Did not know it was Swedish.

Just saw it on a vendor's website for about $30US. Billed as an oyster shucker. Neat little knife, though, that comes in several colors. Did not know it was Swedish.
Yes this is a rather new line from Mora but well received.

Shouldn't an Oystershucker be blunt just to wedge the shell open?
This little feller is sharp and pointy besides having a not overly thick blade stock...

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just picked up a Kizer "Guru" flipper at a closeout/discontinued price. My first flipper, as well as my first knife purchase in 20 years. Cannot believe how effortlessly it opens. The presentation is much like that of a fine watch; the craftsmanship appears flawless.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes this is a rather new line from Mora but well received.

Shouldn't an Oystershucker be blunt to just to wedge the shell open?
This little feller is sharp and pointy besides having a not overly thick blade stock...
Just quoting the ad copy. I should know better, as I used to write the stuff, and we sometimes, well, exaggerated a bit.

But, yes, I believe shuckers usually have more substantial handles and blunt, stubby blades.

I love mine. Great to throw on a paracord around your neck. I have mine with me every time I am in the woods.
They do have that fancy outdoor kit as well but I really just chuck it into my pocket or rucksack.

Light food prep, stick whittling, cutting some cord this all works very well and paired with a smal Vic saw you can do lots of stuff on a hike.

Just picked up a Kizer "Guru" flipper at a closeout/discontinued price. My first flipper, as well as my first knife purchase in 20 years. Cannot believe how effortlessly it opens. The presentation is much like that of a fine watch; the craftsmanship appears flawless.
I have to look that one up.

Top Bottom