What's new

What is your EDC knife?

$IMG-20120718-00016.jpg
Microtech :)

... my absolute everyday EDC is the light-as-a-feather (0.2oz) A.G. Russell Ultimate Pen Knife - Titanium, which hangs on my key chain and is convenient as all get-out. Unfortunately, the blade separated from the handle after less than six months of normal use (in my pocket most of the time). I've e-mailed them to see if they will repair it.

I promptly received the following reply from Polly at A.G. Russell Knives Inc./Russell's for Men:

Sorry, to hear that your pen knife came apart. I am sending you a new one (no charge) and a postage paid
mail label to return the broken one. Please include a short note or even a copy of your email stating what
happened and refer to invoice #########.
That will go out today.

Now that, my friends, is customer service. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ken did you force the patina on the Manix? And do you like your Wicked edge? I have been debating on a edge pro or a wicked edge.

Ken did you force the patina on the Manix? And do you like your Wicked edge? I have been debating on a edge pro or a wicked edge.

I did. I was going for an "old beat up" look and pretty well got it. Turned it totally black, then removed a bunch.

The Wicked Edge is great. Allows very clean/consistent angles. Doesn't go quite as low as I would like but there are new arms coming out that should help that.

Like all things, it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with, maybe 3-4 knives? And I highly recommend getting finer stones & strops than the base kit.

Ken

Great knife, Ken! I've had my eye on the Manix, too. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger in the next couple weeks.

On another note, I've only had my Spyderco Para 2 sprint run (Earth Brown) in S35VN for a weeks now but am really starting to appreciate it more. I admit that my Para 2 is relegated to somewhat lighter tasks thanks to how fine the tip is. The real revelation came when I started sharpening her. WOW! The S35VN takes an edge like no other; far better than what I've ever gotten with VG-10, previously my favorite steel. The question now is how long it will last.

Sharpening progression was nothing special at all, really: Norton 4K/8K > Pasted strop with white "buffing compound" recommended on bladeforums > CrOx > Plain leather. This thing is literally as sharp as any straight razor I've ever honed. Awesome!

Great knife, Ken! I've had my eye on the Manix, too. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger in the next couple weeks.

Thanks, this is my third(well,& forth, I just got a second in M4:lol:) . I've got an XHP and an S90V. Never really carried either but the M4 really works for me.

On another note, I've only had my Spyderco Para 2 sprint run (Earth Brown) in S35VN for a weeks now but am really starting to appreciate it more. I admit that my Para 2 is relegated to somewhat lighter tasks thanks to how fine the tip is. The real revelation came when I started sharpening her. WOW! The S35VN takes an edge like no other; far better than what I've ever gotten with VG-10, previously my favorite steel. The question now is how long it will last.

I actually don't have any S35V. Nice, huh? I have been thinking of a Native 5 in that. Far better than VG10 is pretty darned good!

Sharpening progression was nothing special at all, really: Norton 4K/8K > Pasted strop with white "buffing compound" recommended on bladeforums > CrOx > Plain leather. This thing is literally as sharp as any straight razor I've ever honed. Awesome!

Nice! Simple enough. Have you tried M4?

Ken

I've been carrying this knife from Great Eastern Cutlery everyday for the past month. I used to carry Benchmades and Spydercos but there's just something about an old fashioned slip joint that just warms the heart. Plus working in an office I don't looks of horror from co-workers when I open up the mail :001_smile
proxy.php

Nice teardrop jack knife! Love the old-fashioned slipjoint patterns. Great Easterns are a bit pricy for my tastes but a teardrop jack or possibly a single blade Barlow might tempt me.

Today I'm carrying a Benchmade 907D2. I carry a number of smaller models in the rotation including the older 905, newer HK 14210, Osborne 585-1. All good knives kept in tune with my Edge Pro Apex.

Thanks! I agree, GEC knives can be pricey, especially with handle materials like Elk or Stag. But their QC is the closest I've seen to a custom made slip joint, which are way out of my price range.

Nice teardrop jack knife! Love the old-fashioned slipjoint patterns. Great Easterns are a bit pricy for my tastes but a teardrop jack or possibly a single blade Barlow might tempt me.

I used to carry a Benchmade 710 in 154CM. For the last few years I have exclusively carried a Spyderco Manix II in CTS-XHP. I absolutely love everything about this knife, except for the easy to bend clip. I'm not a fan of lockbacks or liner locks, which is why I generally don't like Spydercos. I LOVE the locking mechanism on the Manix though.

My latest EDC is one of these. Kershaw Corral Creek sheepsfoot lockback. Got it in today. First impression is that it is nice and solid for a 20 dollar Chinese knife. It's a bit heavier and bulkier than what I am used to for a smallish knife, but the lockup is excellent and there is zero blade play.

I switch between a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 and a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I also have a Buck Scholar and a SAK Classic that I carry less often. For hiking or other particular situations, I'll carry my Spyderco Manix2 (blue lightweight version).

Top Bottom