What's new

What is your EDC knife?

A cheap Imperial Barlow...
IMG_20191217_115525395.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've usually got something in my pocket, but it varies between modern folders, traditional backspring knives, and Swiss knives with all the additional tools, and pliers based multitools. I have a lot to choose from.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been carrying a Byrd Tern for the last few days

IMG_20200305_190402_edit_900_1200.jpg

I have actually been reducing my working array for some time, and my daily carry options now fit in one drawer.

IMG_20200301_134554_edit_1844_800.jpg

These are the pocket tools that i'll be working from for the foreseeable future. The rest of them (roughly twice as many as shown in that pic) have been stashed away in a box as spares, should calamity befall any of the chosen users. So far it's working really well. Lost of versatility, and enough to keep boredom at bay, whilst not feeling overwhelmed with choices.

Last edited:
This week I have my Boker Rambler on my belt. This has a 3 inch fixed blade and the handle is too small to fit my pinky. That's why I added the lanyard.

20200310_104830.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have recently come to the conclusion that a marlinspike is a little-appreciated tool to have on a knife.

Yeah, you might not undo rope-knots often - seems like I do - but the spike itself goes places where a knife blade might get snapped.

It opens envelopes and packages, breaks seals on boxes - and never gets dull.

It pries. It pokes. It makes holes. It won't snap.

Mine's an A.G. Russell Sea Skorpion. I use it.

proxy.php

AA

Yes, a marlin spike is an essential tool for the sailor. I have this Iberson from my days of interisland sailing trips. The shackling tool is very useful on a boat as well. I prefer the sheepsfoot blade because I don't want anything too pointy around when on a pitching deck.

bdjG0ve4OyfIk3gaNnjrdQ.jpeg

The image above is not my Iberson, but it is similar. I've had mine for 50 years.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, a marlin spike is an essential tool for the sailor. I have this Iberson from my days of interisland sailing trips. The shackling tool is very useful on a boat as well. I prefer the sheepsfoot blade because I don't want anything too pointy around when on a pitching deck.

View attachment 1073580

The image above is not my Iberson, but it is similar. I've had mine for 50 years.

Is that spike round or flat?

Mine'll poke a useful, spherical hole.

AA

Is that spike round or flat?

Mine'll poke a useful, spherical hole.

AA
Flat on one side. It works well for the intended purpose. We used to say that if we ever ended up in the water with a shark about that we would poke him in the nose with it to encourage him to leave. Thankfully I never had to test that out. I imagine it may not have the desired results. But they do say that sharks are cowards. Me too.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Flat on one side. It works well for the intended purpose. We used to say that if we ever ended up in the water with a shark about that we would poke him in the nose with it to encourage him to leave. Thankfully I never had to test that out. I imagine it may not have the desired results. But they do say that sharks are cowards. Me too.
In my case it's alligators, but I still hate them. Scavengers, but too sneaky.

AS

Top Bottom