What's new

What is your current 'go-to' DE blade?

Nacet by a mile. Although I'm giving Polsivers the college try, they haven't impressed me yet.
Maybe a few more shaves...

Gillette Silver Blues if I'm looking to try a new razor or searching for something familiar that can get me a BBS. I'd do anything to get rid of that wax on those blades though. It stuck to my rocket doors today when I was trying to open the TTO. Annoying as all get out.
Astras used to be my goto and if I'm looking for a treat I grab a Feather or more recently Kai.

Nacet by a mile. Although I'm giving Polsivers the college try, they haven't impressed me yet.
Maybe a few more shaves...

What I'm reading in this thread is that I need to pick up some nacets, haha.

I find Polsilvers do well in only certain razors for me. I went through a tuck and put 3-4 shaves on each with 5 different razors. They did well in a RR Gamechanger, decent in the Mamba, terrible in a Fatboy, terrible in a Slim, and terrible in a Merkur 39C. I think that means they like a mild razor, at least for my face and my settings on the adjustables (usually at a 7 or 8).

Good luck finding the right combination for you. :a17:

I have two 'go to' blades and a range of very close 'seconds'.

For all of my closed comb modern razors I have no hesitation in loading a Gillette Nacet Stainless. Fantastic sharp, smooth performer that works in every razor I have tried and especially my closed combs.

For all of my open combs and vintage razors I have a slight preference for a Perma-Sharp Super Stainless. I might be imagining, but I think the Perma-Sharp is slightly thicker than the Nacet and seems just more at home in an open comb or vintage razor than anything else I've tried.

To complicate matters, I recently tried a Wilkinson Sword 'Made in England' vintage blade I was gifted by North Shore Razors. Very sharp, very smooth and consistently good through at least 5 shaves. Shame they aren't more readily available - they'd give the Nacet and Perma-Sharp a run for their money.

My next best blades are Personna Red, Gillette 7 o'clock Black, Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow.

Generally feathers Is my top choice - I always seem to get nice shaves from feathers.

My second pick is Gillette 7OC yellow. However currently working through my stash of blades such as GSBs, polsilver SIs, & Personna med preps before I go back to feathers. It’ll take some time to get through them.

I don’t really care for BBS and Polsilver SI work well in all my razors. I always grab them when I want a reliable comfortable shave.

What I'm reading in this thread is that I need to pick up some nacets, haha.

I find Polsilvers do well in only certain razors for me. I went through a tuck and put 3-4 shaves on each with 5 different razors. They did well in a RR Gamechanger, decent in the Mamba, terrible in a Fatboy, terrible in a Slim, and terrible in a Merkur 39C. I think that means they like a mild razor, at least for my face and my settings on the adjustables (usually at a 7 or 8).

Good luck finding the right combination for you. :a17:
This week it's a Weishi of all things. I'll try one in a Fatip or OLD next, though. Or if you have had good luck in RR offerings, maybe the Mentor.
But yes, definitely try out some Nacets.

I like that you qualified the question... "current" go to blade. Over the last 5 years my go to, always in stock and rotation blades have included Astra SP, Personna Super, and Gillette Silver Blue. Currently, my go to seems to be Polsilver SI.

Making my way through a variety pack I bought from Amazon:
  • 1. Astra - Superior Platinum, 2. Bic - Chrome Platinum, 3. Derby - Extra, 4. Dorco - St-301 Stainless
  • 5. Feather - New Hi-Stainless, 6. Gillette - Platinum, 7. Gillette - Silver Blue, 8. Merkur - Super Platinum
  • 9. Personna - Platinum, 10. Polsilver - Super Iridium, 11. Shark - Super Stainless, 12. Super-Max - Super Stainless
  • 13. Treet - Platinum, 14. Voskhod - Teflon Coated, 15. Wilkinson - Sword (Germany)
. Currently on Astra SP which I like the best so far. Previously tried Derby Extra DE and Merkur SP blades.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
My 'go-to' blade
proxy.php

Why Voskhod of course! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous

Currently i have stocks of Astra SP, Nacet and Yellows. But I had a really good shave in a R41 with a GSB last time, and I know that's a popular blade. My have to get some.

The only popular blade I don't get is Polsilver - didn't seem sharp enough the last time I tried.

Astra Superior Platinum. Every time I try a different blade and switch back to ASP a few days later, I think, "wow that's comfortable". Especially on 2nd and 3rd shave.

Currently have 400 ASPs and thinking of buying more to stave off the Bladepocalypse.

Rapira Platinum Lux. Great shaves in all the DEs in my rotation. Cheap at 8.99/100 blades. I toss them after 4 shaves, regardless.

Derby Platinums. Work for all my razors, $9 for 100.

Usually toss them after 3-4 shaves, but I’ve had one go up to 7 and remain comfortable.

Polsilver and GSB have emerged as my go-to's, and I've accumulated quite the zombie apocalypse emergency shelter back-up supply of them. I guess I just prefer a smooth, comfortable shave over the absolute ninja sharpest shave possible. But I do have plenty of Nacets and Yellows on hand for when I'm in that ninja kind of mood, and I like them both.

I have a rotation of five that I am currently working my way through:

- Personna 74
- Wilkinson Light Brigade
- Polsilver Stainless (brown tuck/made in Poland)
- Wilkinson blade from 1982
- vintage Wilkinson blade that came in black wrapper with “eisgehartat” and “rostfrei” on the black wrapper

Vr

Matt

Attachments

• DC96FF9E-ED8D-43E0-91E9-9646FE9F9F62.jpeg
    DC96FF9E-ED8D-43E0-91E9-9646FE9F9F62.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Top Bottom