What's new

What is your current 'go-to' DE blade?

Astra SP. Cheap, sharp, smooth from the first shave, long lasting, and they don't seem to get rough, just less efficient after about the 7th or 8th shave.

Gillette Platinum and Perma Sharp. Excellent high quality blades for all type of razors.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

1. Gillette Platinum Plus (Brazil) Smooth and sharp. All of my razors like this blade. A LOT! 15 shaves per at least
2. Sputnik (Russia) A very close second to GPP. Strangely, my Russian Ideal likes this blade better than any other. 10-15 shaves per.
3. Wilkinson Sword (German black tuck) This is a well balanced blade that behaves itself. Reasonably sharp and very smooth. I can get 20+ DFS with this blade. Though it does take a 3 pass to get BBS.
No goes (read awful!) Shark Super Chrome (tuggy and dull) VDH (almost the most horrible blade ever devised) and Bic Chrome (this blade is satan. It is tuggy and rough. SO much so I couldn't finish one pass in ANY of my razors) That all being said YMMV!

Gillette Nacet Stainless followed closely by Perma-Sharp Super Stainless. But then again, maybe the other way round! Both work well with closed comb, open comb, modern (Nacet slight favourite) and vintage (Perma-Sharp slight favourite) razors.

Astra SP is kind of an anomaly for me. It is both smooth and comfortable even though it’s not very efficient. Other “comfort” blades are tuggy, and the extra passes leave my face irritated. The Astra SP may take more passes and touch up, but it is not irritating at all.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think your chart is great !
Ron
Thanks, I made it up to express my blades I use on a another Forum and I find it easy to look at myself and for others who are learning or folks just thinking of a different blade to try.

I have tried astras, Wilkinson’s etc all the popular ones and yes they were good. My go to is a blade that I have see people throw a lot of poo at in other threads. The derby premium. For some reason using them in my red tip I have a damn smooth shave.

Every face is different. I’d say sample a lot and work out what is best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellows, Astra SP, Personna Red, Polsilver SI, and Nacet in my rotation. Their performance is unaffected by whichever razor I use them in.

I rotate through them all, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellows.

Kai.

proxy.php

I love Feather. I feel like the blade needs to be as sharp as possible, it's some it purpose is to cut. So why not get the sharpest one possible? Then adjust your technique as needed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I love pretty much all the PPI blades, but Gillette Minora is the new king blade bin for me. For the past 18 months, I would have said Perma-Sharp super, but this week I did a blind shave test between it and a Gillette Minora, and the Minora won hands down.

I use Astra SP in aggressive razors and Personna Lab (blue) in mild razors. I really think that GSB are the best all around blades but I don't use them anymore because of all the glue/wax they put on them.

Top Bottom