What's new

What is your current 'go-to' DE blade?

What is your current 'go-to' DE blade and why? The blade that gives you the best shave, pairs best with the most razors. Sharp, smooth, or evenly balanced? How many shaves typically, cost factor? No need to answer all, just curious on what is important to most.

Full disclosure - I only own SE now. But if I went back to DE I would certainly be using KAI Stainless Steel. They are as smooth as any DE I tried, quite sharp, last a good 12 shaves, and are super-consistent from shave to shave. Only used them in an ATT R1. Worth the expense in my view. See link in my sig.

Personna Red, blue UK packaging works great for me with all my razors. No irritation, smooth and I change it every Sunday. Cheap cost too. :)

I find that Feather DE blades work best in all my razors, from the milder to the more aggressive types. I recently discovered that I now prefer a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black over the Feather in my RazoRock Wunderbar; it just seems smoother for some reason. Regardless of blade type I toss them after two shaves.

I am a big fan of both the Gillette Silver Blue and Astra SP blades. I typically keep three razors loaded with a blade. Right now two have Astra's and the other a GSB. But it is as likely to be the other way around. This week I am using my D1/1958 Flare Tip Super Speed and an Astra SP. Beginning Saturday it will be something else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really don’t have a single ‘go to’ blade. I have a ‘top tier’ that just work great for me: Astra SP, GSB, Personna red, Nacet and Personna lab. (And I have plenty stocked up in case any of these are discontinued!)

My go-to SHARP blade is the Bic Chrome Platinum, which is like a longer-lasting Feather. My go-to “comfort” blade is the Personna Red, which is still pretty sharp. To me, Sharp IS comfortable.

The KAI is a special case: it’s really not that sharp, but it’s significantly wider than most blades. In some razors, the added blade exposure can ramp up the efficiency considerably.

Now if only somebody would make a blade that was was Bic-sharp and KAI-wide! I don’t think any razor would ever be deemed too mild again!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This should get you in the ball park if thinking of testing some. I like all the ones that are Sharp & smooth.
20180324_104956.jpg

My top 4:

(1) Gillette Platinum
(2) PolSilver Super Iridium
(3) Gillette Silver Blue
(4) Perma-Sharp Super

This list will probably change when I blink next, but for now - Platinum wins hands down!

Feather is likely my go to blade. A bit sharper than most which reduces cleanup in the more difficult areas like under my jawline. This blade requires good technique due to the sharpness but it seems to do well in most razors.

Others that I enjoy are PolSilver, Astra SP, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. These also seem to do well in most razors.

Another I'll use are Gillette Silver Blue blades. In some razors Gillette Silver Blue blades work really well for me while in other razors I don't care for them at all.

I'd have to say Personna "Lab Blue". Sharp, smooth and long lasting. They can sometimes be slightly rough for the first couple shaves, but then they smooth out and really stretch their legs, typically giving me 30 or so wonderful shaves. Being made in USA and relatively cheap are icing on the cake. :)
I like to experiment with new blades quite often, but always seem to come back to these.

Not sure if I have a go to blade as I use several brands in rotation. But if I could pick one of those it would be the Personna Med Preps with Gillette yellows next in line. I could also shave exclusively with blue Astras as I find them to be wonderful blades...

Top Bottom