What's new

what is your casual shoe?

Bostonian. $50 on Amazon.
proxy.php

I've taken a job at a software company and the uniform seems to be polo shirts and khakis, I'm guessin nice jeans woud also be ok. I have dress shoes and i have athletic shoes. I'm thinking i need something in between.

Hard to say. I have a plain, low cost, oxford I wear with that kind of clothing. Khakis are inexpensive at Wallyworld. Come to think of it, the shoes did, too.

FWIW, the shoes are Dr. Scholls. The only reason I went with them was two previous pairs of oxfords bought at Wallyworld disintergrated at awkward moments.

In those days we had to write our code with just zeros, and let me tell you, it was tough. How we partied when T.J. Watson Senior announced that a crackerjack IBM research team had discovered a second number, and they called it "one". It took almost no time after that for somebody to discover fire, which quickly led to the first steam-powered computers. We could have done it all faster, but remember, back then nobody had coffee. All we had was some kind of gunk made from moldy compost and battery acid. It was called "Maxwell House"
Oh, these IT babies today, what do they know of the early days?

How casual? Like dudesweet, lots of times these days Allen Edmonds boat shoes, except mine are in navy. I think the model is "Maritime," or something like that. I do not love them. I like the leather but it does not look quite right to me for boat shoes. I would prefer the classic Sperry Topsider, whatever of the excessive number of models Sperry now has, that would be, in the classic brown or navy. I have not limited wearing them to slimmer fitting slacks, but I do not think I would wear them with a shirt and tie, unless I was on a boat. I do not wear them with socks.

Otherwise, I have any number of different maker penny loafers, mostly in, I suppose, "oxblood." Various Derby style shoes, often Allen Edmonds, that I am pretty much willing to wear with suits as well as more casual. Doc Martens. Clarks Desert Boots and Wallabees, solely whatever they call that original beige color. Chucks, Jack Purcells, and Puma Clydes. I had a pair of LL Bean dusty buck I got rid of recently after about 35 years because they were feeling small. I should buy a new pair. Very versatile. Classic.

Hiking boots and running shoes.

I am old. Things tend to collect over the years!

Oh yeah. I own a pair of classic zip "Beatles boots," I can never figure out what to wear with or where to wear them.

Tecova western boots. Suede or calfskin for those casual days..lizard for more formal occasions.
Desert boots are alright too.

these kids are looking more like surfrs than programmers. if you ever saw NCIS LA, Beal is what these guys look like.
I want to be a cut above that. Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but most of theose suggestions are closer to dress shoes than I like.. I think I'll try to find a pair of SAS. something along the lines this

moveonchocolate-1.jpg

I've taken a job at a software company and the uniform seems to be polo shirts and khakis, I'm guessin nice jeans woud also be ok. I have dress shoes and i have athletic shoes. I'm thinking i need something in between.
Penny loafers can offer a wide range of designs and styles while still remaining a fashion accessory which speaks well of their wearer. Oh, always, always wear socks.

About 20 years ago, I invested in several pair of Mephistos. They were not cheap, but they're extremely well made--only my handmade White's boots and Luchesses are their equals. I still wear them. In fact, just yesterday I took in a pair that has a couple of worn soles. For $90, they'll completely resole and refurbish the shoes, and they'll look like new. I know $90 is a lot, but I'll get many more years of service from them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My casual shoe is actually a ankle boot by Mckinlay, made here in NZ. Very comfortable.
They are three years old and should last a long time as they can be resoled when they need to be. Still on the original soles and looks like a few more years at this rate before a re sole will be needed.

20180923_093427.jpg

I love me boots. It's either Clarks Desert Boots (spring, summer), Redwing Iron Rangers (fall, winter), or Woolrich boots with Vibram soles (nasty NE winter days).

Mark:
My casual shoes (besides Nike Basketball shoes, Dockers Boots, & Dockers Sandles), are Kenneth Cole Bring
About Sneakers
. :thumbsup:

View attachment 914752

View attachment 914750 “Shoetini: 4oz GQ fashion, 1oz cool attitude, a splash of indulgence and a twist of temptation. Shake over ice; strain into a trendy pair of shoes and garish with lots of accessories”. CBJ

I like Nike basketball shoes as in-house slippers, so light, flexible, comfortable. They also worked great as indoor ball hockey shoes.

dave

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My casual shoe is actually a ankle boot by Mckinlay, made here in NZ. Very comfortable.
They are three years old and should last a long time as they can be resoled when they need to be. Still on the original soles and looks like a few more years at this rate before a re sole will be needed.

View attachment 914397

Lovely ankle boots, Chris!

On a side note, I'd like to add a pair of Red/Brown shoes to my collection for this fall/winter season. I may consider a pair of either Derbies or Oxfords with rubber soles (I like lace-ups in classic designs!).

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I like Nike basketball shoes as in-house slippers, so light, flexible, comfortable. They also worked great as indoor ball hockey shoes.

dave
Dave:
plus-one-png.797576
...and I never to forget my high-top Nike's when traveling and/or on vacation (i.e., after a long day of sight-seeing...my 'dogs would be barking').
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Shoes are our companions because they are a distinguishing part of our lives". CBJ

Shortly after recommending my AE boat shoes, the sole at the top of the right one separated from the upper and broke off. I still love the aesthetic of boat shoes, but they just don't seem to hold up very well. That pair may have been a fluke at less than six months old, but they usually look very tired at around twelve months. For the price I pay (less than $100), that not too bad, but it's still less than ideal.

All of that to say that I've acquired a new pair of casual shoes, a pair of AE loafers. I'm not 100% sold on the silhouette, but the size was right (half the battle), the price wasn’t bad, and they’re Goodyear welted, so resoling won’t be a problem. Today is day three with them on the feet, and they’re starting to break in nicely. :)

42479338_10214878588091446_8268177134200029184_o.jpg

Top Bottom