What's new

What is your best shaving, currently available new, cheap (under USD 50) SR?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To qualify, the SR must be currently available new (not NOS) for under USD 50 (excluding shipping and honing).

For me it is the Gold Dollar W59 at under USD 10

Profile Open.jpg

My Comoy's of London comes in a close second at about USD 20.

IMG_20211123_073950.jpg

My best shaving cheap SR is this Gold Dollar 208 that was modified by Razoremporium, which at the time of purchacing cost me $50. This razor is not only beautyfull, it also shaves really well.
20220316_190456.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Comoys looks identical to a gold dollar to me. Although it does appear to be ground much better.
Yes, it could be but I think the QC of GD might be better. I had to hunt through a few to find a good one. Maybe it was a GD reject sold cheap.

But as I say, looks don't shave.

Legion

Staff member
None of those descriptions relate to razors I regularly use. But if I had to stick to the assignment, I have a GD 208 that shaves very well, after the required adjustment.

Cheap razor that shaved well with minimal effort is a ZY.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You could have someone's eye out with that! Do be careful.

It is also completely hideous. I vote for the other one.
You may find the GD W59 hideous in looks, but it can be a great shaver - when used with care.

Remember, looks don't shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm curious, aside from GD, Comoys, and ZY, are there any under $50 new razors that will even take an edge?
Titan SR's of Japanese steel made in Taiwan take and hold a good edge. Some of their models are available new for under USD 50.

There may be other manufacturers, but I haven't tried them yet. Hence this thread.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Comoys looks identical to a gold dollar to me. Although it does appear to be ground much better.
Over the last couple of years the grinding of the GD66 has improved greatly and that could be a rebranded 66 with slightly nicer scales. The factory will cheerfully put your own mark on their razors, or sell them to you unmarked and without scales.

I bought a Gold Dollar W59 recently and managed to get it shaving. Through the loupe, the heel and toe looked like a hacksaw blade, however, it was good practice for honing a smiling blade. It actually shaves quite well, although I am not used to such a big blade. I think they use these blades for executions at the Tower of London. The first shave with it was fun - trying not to stick myself with the pointy bit. The next couple of shaves went well and I am sort of used to it now.

Currently have a few Gold Dollars that are going, 2 x 66's, and a W53, as well as the W59. All shave quite well actually. I bought them for practice honing and they ended up in my rotation. I was fortunate in that they are all quite straight which helped enormously. The 66's have had the shoulder modified, and one of them I did myself with a dremel.

cheers
Andrew

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I bought a Gold Dollar W59 recently and managed to get it shaving. Through the loupe, the heel and toe looked like a hacksaw blade, however, it was good practice for honing a smiling blade. It actually shaves quite well, although I am not used to such a big blade. I think they use these blades for executions at the Tower of London. The first shave with it was fun - trying not to stick myself with the pointy bit. The next couple of shaves went well and I am sort of used to it now.
I use to have nine GD W59 SR's, including a M7DS. With all of them, I bread-knifed the smile out of them and honed them up again from a 180° bevel angle. They were all a pleasure to shave with.

The best one of my GD W59 for shaving, I took with me when I left the Philippines. The M7DS of GG W59's I sold to a Chinese gentleman before I left.

IMG_20210107_094938.jpg
Engraved in Chinese​

The GD W59 that I still have is my most favoured SR. It is not necessary my best shaving SR but I enjoy the concentration required to successfully shave with it.

Top Bottom