What's new

What is your beard and moustache family history?

I was flipping through some family photo albums and I noticed there was a sad lack of beard and moustaches among the male members of the family. I had to go back to a Great-great grandfather before I found a beard. All my cousins, uncles, brothers, did not sport any kind of facial hair. It appears I am the first in my family to wear a big honking mustachio. I don't ever recall my father even being unshaven except for maybe when he went on a fishing trip he would come home with a few days growth. He was always clean shaven.

What is in your family tree in terms of facial hair? Any pics would be welcomed!

My great grandfather had a handlebar mustache. Ive never seen pictures of it as he died in the 1930s but Ive heard stories of it.
Beyond that, all of the men in my family pretty much were clean shaven. My grandfathers on both sides of the family were always clean shaven, my father has always been clean shaven. My brother has a goatee and Ive always had a stubble beard, although I did experiment with a full beard and a goatee for a while.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My father had a beard for most of his adult life, but now shaves. One uncle kept a neatly trimmed tache, but he's full shaven these days too. Both Grandfathers shaved. Aside from me and my youngest brother (he has full beard, and I have a handlebarred goatee), the rest of my family is clean shaven as far as I know. A couple of the cousins tried facial hair, but didn't stick with it.

Nobody in my family (Dad's side) can grow a very good beard. Best I can do is a halfway decent circle beard, and my dad couldn't even do that. Used to tell us a story of when he was in basic preparing for WWII. His unit was given a week's leave at the end, and the drill sergeant ordered them to grow mustaches. When they returned, Dad was the only one showing nothing. When the drill sergeant chewed him out ("Soldier, I told you to grow a mustache!!!) Dad replied, "Sir, this soldier tried, but was unable to perform as commanded!" Makes me smile again remembering him tell that story and then go off into peals of laughter.

My grandfather was always clean shaven. But you could tell he could grow a beard. My dad switched between full beard, mustache and circle beard/van dyke/closed goatee. Why does that style have so many names. As a Latino, grownups called it a lock beard. Like a padlock.

I keep trimming the beard during this quarantine. But I feel like just letting it grow until all this is over.

Attachments

• 20200311_110628.jpg
    20200311_110628.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
One contemporary cousin with a beard. One late uncle with a moustache who I first remember from the early 'fifties. That's about it on both sides of the family.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think clean shaven except for an uncle who sported a trimmed mustache not pencil thin but thats my memory. Years later when he list the toupee he grew a beard.

My Father has a mustache and has for much of my life. Grandfathers were always clean shaved. I do have a photo of Great great that had a stache that was ruined by Hitler.

My Fathers side of the family is a hairy bunch.. I'm not different - See my photo to the left, love that stach! Living in Colorado I tend to grow a pretty big beard starting October thru the end of April. It keeps my face warm, or so I think. I honestly skipped this year because I had acquired some pretty awesome shave gear and I couldn't keep my razors off my face. I had to promise my wife that I would grow it this upcoming year, she loves it on me.. Or is that just bearded men in general, hum...

Besides myself who wore a beard until I became a firefighter (now just a mustache) and an uncle who sports a Carey Grant mustache, the last person in my family with a beard was my great great granddad pictured here.
1588689438636.png

My great granddad who is second from the right is who I inherited my straight razors from

My old man was bearded since before I was born. I think I've seen him clean shaven maybe 3 times in my life. Big thick heavy beard. He looked ready to go find Jeremiah Johnson, or sing you the softest 70est song you've never heard. His brother is or was an electrical engineer. Always clean shaven for work. But every so often, when he had use or lose vacation days, it'd be pretty freaking strong for a weeks growth. Their old man, my grandfather, had the genes he was from a time where you go to work in a tie and you don't have a beard. But his 5:00 shadow was usually in by 3:30. As for cousins, I haven't seen them since before they were in high school.

Awesome question. My dad ALWAYS had a mustache. From probably 25 years old onward. Paired it with some monster sideburns in the late 70s and early 80s, and grew the occasional fishing beard, but rocked the mustache for around 40 years straight.

My grandpa on my dad's side was always clean-shaven, except for the occasional work trip beard, but he would shave immediately upon getting back home. grandpa on my mom's side rocked a thin mustache in most of the pictures I have of him. The great granddads I know of were all clean-shaven.

Awesome question. My dad ALWAYS had a mustache. From probably 25 years old onward. Paired it with some monster sideburns in the late 70s and early 80s, and grew the occasional fishing beard, but rocked the mustache for around 40 years straight.

My grandpa on my dad's side was always clean-shaven, except for the occasional work trip beard, but he would shave immediately upon getting back home. grandpa on my mom's side rocked a thin mustache in most of the pictures I have of him. The great granddads I know of were all clean-shaven.
Loved my dads chops in the 70's..

I have pictures of my great-grandfather (mother's side) who had a magnificent curled mustache. His father (my great-great-grandfather) appeared to be clean shaven, but his brother had a big thick beard. My grandfather (again mother's side) and all of his brothers were clean shaven. When I was very young my dad had a beard for a few years. I vaguely remember when I was two and the morning he shaved it off. He picked me up afterwards and I started freaking out. I have a few pictures of my grandfather on my dad's side having a small mustache in the 40's and 50's, but I don't remember him ever having one in my lifetime.

I've been bearded for almost eleven months now.

Top Bottom