What's new

What is your acquisition disorder of choice?

What is your addiction of choice?

• Aftershave

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Blades

Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Brushes

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Razors

Votes: 60 40.8%
  • Soaps/Creams

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • None

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
Used to be soaps/aftershaves, but I now have more than I’ll ever use.

It’s brushes now....got hooked on the different types of badgers and then got a couple boars too. Probably buy at least 5-7 more before the year is up.

I'm still pretty new to this so I'm still probably going to order a bit of everything, but I think once I order that 1Kg block of Cella I'll be set for soap for awhile as I still have a full tub of Proraso red, a tube of Proraso white, 12 sticks of Arko, and a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street. Sure, I could own more, but that is enough to shave with for a couple years and I'm not all that interested in soaps and creams. I have 2 brushes and I can't say I really have much interest in that part of the hobby either so that number will probably remain static or grow very, very slowly.

Aftershave splashes on the other hand......3 weeks ago I had none, now I have 3 and will be ordering 2 more this week. These I will likely collect a little bit, they provide a longer lasting and typically stronger scent than the soaps, in my mind it makes more sense to invest in these than soaps if scent is your thing.

Razors are another potential weakness, I think I'm maybe part raven, I do like the shiny things! Given the potential cost though, this will probably be a slow acquisition, plus I already have 2 I like with a 3rd on the way, I don't really want ones I won't use.

Blades I have a fair number of, but once I have tried them all out in each razor I only plan to buy more in bulk of the ones that I preferred in each razor, so not going to be a big acquisition(at least from the perspective of variety) moving forward, I likely have more types now than I will in the future.

TL;DR - I voted both aftershaves and razors, with aftershaves being the much larger acquisition target.

Soaps and aftershaves. I'll admit that I recently acquired more razors than I ever thought I'd want to own, but outside of one day trying a slant, I'm probably done with razors. Soaps and aftershaves though, can't get enough.

I don't even look at aftershaves and balms because I already know I would end up with another full blown disorder. I have one unscented aftershave balm and that's it. If I start trying to match aftershave scent to soap I'll fall down a deep rabbit hole.

I also know exactly what you mean about having something in the cart and closing the browser only to do it again later the same day. This hobby is funny sometimes.
As you are already clearly aware, the A&E products are pretty good, especially in the fragrance arena. I have about 20 of his soaps and all but 4 have matching aftershaves. I am actually quite happy to have these. Some of them he doesnt have them available right now, and others I just didnt love the scent enough to want the splash.

I like Tabac, so i of course had to have the A/S for that. but then there are soaps like MWF, Arko, Palmolive, etc.. utilitarian soaps that i am in search of a good A/S to follow up with after using anything in that category. I think using a witch hazel and then a balm is my preference at this point.

I voted 'razors' though that really isn't strictly true any more since I have had minimal interest in new razors since getting my Blackland Vector (AC blades) & 1950's era Schick type I Hydro-Magic (injector blades), but if any AD will once again rear its ugly head, it will be RAD. I love me some stainless steel and titanium. Just something about hardware of this ilk (it's enduring nature?) that piques my interest, and always has.

Blades 100%. I have nothing but sampler packs. I love swapping a blade and completely changing the shave.

About a week and a half ago, I got in an aftershave. Not really a fan of the AV Ice Blue (Mrs. Rookie's favorite), I decided I like bay rum smelling things, so Captain's Choice CO9T jumps in my cart. It was blades, but I can see finding the perfect bay rum taking over. April GRUME will be interesting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Everything BUT blades. I just simply have thousands of those ... No addiction.

You forgot the most expensive one: cologne.

I swear I never used the stuff, until aftershaves became the gateway drug ... If the AS is good, the cologne is even better!

And that business gets spendy, fast.

AA

It was razors but I have more than enough and only use a few favorites, then Ienjoy 3-4 soaps, so I'm ok there. As far as brushes go, it's a mixed bag, I have a few that need new knots.

Definitely razors for me - soaps were at one time the disorder but now I have too many of those. Similar to brushes, also it’s just too hard to get the good ones where I am

Im bad when it comes to brushes. I know that for the most part a brush is a brush but I love all the different kinds of knots and handles that are out there and I want them all.

Top Bottom