What's new

What is you budget or do you have one?

I try to keep it under $30 if possible. But I also have a list of things I want so if I can get a good deal, I'll go over it a bit. For example, this month has been a bit close to 100 but it was everything I wanted. I'm satisfied so I'll probably rest out next month for purchases.

I love the OP's question. Of course, it raises larger questions of privilege, but also focuses on how we live our lives.

I'm a guy who tries to keep track internally, i.e., in my head, of the the issues in my life, whether it's discretionary spending, priorities at work, friends to contact, etc. I'm beginning to suspect my system is not optimal, and am contemplating a more formalized system. A budget on shaving items would be a good start.

I love the OP's question. Of course, it raises larger questions of privilege, but also focuses on how we live our lives.

I'm a guy who tries to keep track internally, i.e., in my head, of the the issues in my life, whether it's discretionary spending, priorities at work, friends to contact, etc. I'm beginning to suspect my system is not optimal, and am contemplating a more formalized system. A budget on shaving items would be a good start.
I started a monthly shaving expense tracking spreadsheet and it's been helping me stay sane in this shaving world. I see some good months and not so good months. It keeps me in check and stops me from reasoning with my purchases, haha.

I started a monthly shaving expense tracking spreadsheet and it's been helping me stay sane in this shaving world. I see some good months and not so good months. It keeps me in check and stops me from reasoning with my purchases, haha.

That makes sense to me. My sense of when I'm feeling flush, or not, is anything but scientific. As a philosophy major in college, I need to do some thinking...

I have 25 bucks a check go into my Rathole account. Wife does the same. We can spend it on whatever we want. I have too much shave soaps/creams as it is. Everything else is set. So usually we pool our Rathole money and splurge on a real nice date night once a month.
+1 - like that a lot!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have no budget and right now pretty stocked with blades, Williams and Cremo. Have enough razors to last me a while.
Although I still look in case there is something I just can't pass up because it's a good deal.
Don't know why but I keep buying blades even though I have a good stash! I guess because they are probably the cheapest thing I spend money on.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

One minute let me ask my wife! Oh wait she's away!

No real budget. Ive been selling razors that I don't use basically to finance future razor purchases. Im looking at the Karve. Ive also just started to try the premium soaps and creams such as SV, Stirling and Haslinger. And I just bought a RR Mamba 70 from another member. So I've blown any budget I might have this month! I hope that once I'm settled with the hardware and software that works well for me I will slow down on the buying.

Anywhere from nothing to a couple hundred bucks a month.

Had months where I bought one soap, had months where I bought 5 and two razors.

Just depends on what I’m thinking or researching etc.

Budget? I never budget - I'm not a bookkeeper.

I binge when I get into a new hobby, then I sell, sell, sell, sell........ (and lose money)

I am at a state of satisfaction. But my wife likes to buy stuff for me. This month she got me a Black Beauty at an antique store. I have a good wife. :em2300:

That is great would you mind sharing the spreadsheet.It is something I would be interested in.
Thanks

You know, I studied financial planning...to prepare for retirement. Guess it worked; I am retired.

What I learned is pretty simple. Pay yourself first; set $ aside every month for retirement and other long term goals. Then pay your bills. Live on less than you earn. Moonlight and set that $ aside. Invest for the long term; ignore short term news. Market crashes are buying opportunities. Keep cash on hand for emergencies.

Do all that for 30 years or so and you do not have to worry much about budgeting.

In my case, have 250+ blades on hand, couple razors, several brushes, four AS, half a dozen pucks. Thinking about adding a 25mm Muhle STF to the stable.

Mac

My major purchases are behind me. I use 1 razor (timeless ti), Stirling badger fan brush, and a 200 count box of feather blades. I do basically as the op and drop 20-25 a month on soaps or balms.

I bought my first DE razor in September of 2017. I purchased far more razors, blades, soaps/creams, and brushes than was necessary. I've been participating in a shave-purchase sabbatical this year to give my wallet a rest and myself time to enjoy about what I have.

I've since decided on a self-imposed budget of $120 per year. I think a yearly budget will be better for me than a sabbatical going forward. The reason is a budget will allow me to purchase items on my want list if/when I find the items at a really good price.

This year I've missed out on some really good BST offerings and a couple of sales from 35 to 50 percent off of the regular price; that will not happen again. With the budget, I can spend it all in January or throughout the year. This works for me; YMMV.

Top Bottom