What's new

What is wrong with this Bostonian New Improved?

Bought this off da Bay to sit in a metal Bostonian case that was missing the razor. Then I noticed something peculiar? Can anyone with sharp eyes note at least two things wrong with this razor. And I don't mean the brassing on the handle!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The only thing that I can see is the cap doesn't seem to be a tight fit...

Has the barrel been cut? The bottom of it looks kind of uneven, and maybe that causes the cap to not fit tight.

EDIT: I think the uneven bottom is more of a trick of light, but it still looks a little short.

Last edited:
The outer barrel is definitely cut short at the bottom. The inner barrel is also cut short but at the top. I am guessing this is because the cap is not original (ie, too short) and someone really wanted to make this work?
:cool: good one.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Uneven barrel, I missed that... Nice!

The outer barrel is definitely cut short at the bottom. The inner barrel is also cut short but at the top. I am guessing this is because the cap is not original (ie, too short) and someone really wanted to make this work?
:cool: good one.

Oh man, I don't think the cap is the correct one either. Nice eye! The posts look more like an old type, they are pointier than my Improved.

EDIT: Disregard the old type comment, I'm up way past my bed time and got a little confused.:wink:

Last edited:
Besides the base of the barrel being cut, the bottom plate looks like it was ground down to soften the pitch of the blade making it more aggresive.

The bottom of the barrel looks like it has been cut short because the smooth ring isn't the same width as the smooth ring at the top of the barrel.

Hey ctakim

Is there anything else other than what the members have pointed out? You have a better view and have had more time to inspect it.

Boy, you guys have sharp eyes.:smile:

I should have noticed these things BEFORE I bid. Strangely, this is a sawed off New Improved, with at least half a centimeter removed from the bottom of the razor. Not sure why someone did this. Second, the head cap of the razor is not original either. Here is an authentic New Improved for comparison.

Top Bottom