What's new

What is this straight razor?

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I've picked up a few vintage razors lately but I can't find any information on this one. Has anyone seen this brand before? If the picture isn't clear it reads GITCO REGO. Is this maybe just brand endorsement stamped on by a company that bought these for employees? Or is this a razor brand I've never heard of? If anyone has some insight I would appreciate it! Thanks!
1209221741_HDR.jpg
1209221741a_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 1209221741_HDR.jpg
    1209221741_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Legion

Staff member
In Germany at that time there were one or two factories pumping out (quite good) razors that were similar, under a variety of brand names. Dubl Duck might be the most famous, but there were dozens of them.

Common features were Cellulose scales, hollow grind, often three pins, and made for non German markets, with English tang stampings.

Some of the lesser known brands can be had for little money, and they are usually good shavers.

Anton Wingen was one of those prolific makers, some believe he made the Duck razor. He also made may razor for American companies under their stamp.

He did make razors under his stamp, but not for export. His name was stamped on the face side, many exports were stamped with the distributors name on the face and Wingen on the back and many without the Wingen stamp. Wingen became Othello and is in business today, though they no longer make razors. Many fine razor were made under the Othello mark.

Razors made under his mark are identical to the Duck line, Wingen also pioneered the fancy bolsters used on Ducks and Celluloid scales with unique patterns that proved to be celluloid timebombs in the Duck line.

That your razor is pinned with a center pin, generally is a mark of a better made razor. Heel needs correction but should hone up to be a fine shaver, those scales will polish up with some 600 W&D and any good metal polish.

Nice find.

In Germany at that time there were one or two factories pumping out (quite good) razors that were similar, under a variety of brand names. Dubl Duck might be the most famous, but there were dozens of them.

Common features were Cellulose scales, hollow grind, often three pins, and made for non German markets, with English tang stampings.

Some of the lesser known brands can be had for little money, and they are usually good shave

Thank you all who checked this out and replied. And thank you very much for the information! Good resources online for specifics can be hard to come by. I've got some things coming my way for christmas to start restoring some razors and I've got some junk razors to practice on. Hopefully I can get myself to a point where I can restore this fine razor and others I've rescued from flea market hell. Thanks again!

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I've picked up a few vintage razors lately but I can't find any information on this one. Has anyone seen this brand before? If the picture isn't clear it reads GITCO REGO. Is this maybe just brand endorsement stamped on by a company that bought these for employees? Or is this a razor brand I've never heard of? If anyone has some insight I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Hi @boognish,
The trademark "Gitco" shows up in the German "Warenzeichenverzeichnis" of 1953 and belongs to Dorko-Stahlwarenfabrik. The address was Dahl 4 in Solingen-Merscheid. It was registered on March 11th, 1953. Interesting, I never heard about this Dorko tradename before and congratulation to the nice razor.
Hope this helps.

Legion

Staff member
Hi @boognish,
The trademark "Gitco" shows up in the German "Warenzeichenverzeichnis" of 1953 and belongs to Dorko-Stahlwarenfabrik. The address was Dahl 4 in Solingen-Merscheid. It was registered on March 11th, 1953. Interesting, I never heard about this Dorko tradename before and congratulation to the nice razor.
Hope this helps.
Dorko made razors under their own name, and they are well regarded, and are not too cheap to buy these days. That is a good sign for the OP’s razor.

Top Bottom