What's new

What is the worst thing that could happen if i give away my name and address on here?

what have your experiences been like?

Haseeb, friend, the below answer is a safe course to follow, though I would not hesitate to provide my address in a PM in response to winning a PIF (. . . I think, never won one. lol). Be well.

I understand what the question is about. This is a young man who wants a razor of his own and another generous member offered to PIF him a nice Gillette Vintage Flare Tip Rocket and blades. I suggest that the OP have his Father provide a work address and name so that the PIF can be sent there in safety. OP, communicate only through PM.

Frank

All kidding aside we are all somewhat normal honest guys/gals, that enjoy wet shaving. If you are winner of PIF, have no worries, we exchange address' in the Nib to correspond with each other via snail mail.

After reading subsequent comments, I want to apologize to the OP. I am NOT new to the Internet; I am a middle-aged adult, and I've been on the Internet since 1992. (That is, before the World Wide Web existed) I think that I've developed a pretty good sense of when it is and is not appropriate to give out personal information, but I do understand that is an acquired skill, and that it is unwise to just go handing your personal details out to just anyone. It's something I've developed over the last 20+ years, and it's very easy to take for granted sometimes.

B&B is generally a group of very good people. It is moderated by a devoted and caring mod staff, and the members here are, on average, at least 100 times better than what you'll find anywhere else. However, there is no place that is 100% safe. I am absolutely certain that there are unethical and predatory people who lurk here, and may even be members. Bad people can exist anywhere, and are often very good at hiding the fact that they are bad people.

If you are unsure, or if you feel uneasy, listen to your instincts. Someone implied earlier that you might be a minor. If that is in fact the case, then let your guardian take over. He or she will probably have a better sense of what is and is not OK to give out. In addition, if there is someone who is a predator, they will know that an adult is involved, and this changes the dynamic of the interaction. This goes for any website.

All of that being said, if you won a PIF, and someone on B&B offered to send something to you, there is a 99.999% chance that everything is legit. I don't want my words of caution to cause you to fear everything on the Internet. It is truly an amazing place, and there is a lot to be gained from embracing it. I'm sure there is a way that the person sending you the PIF can do so in a way that everyone is protected and comfortable. They could send it to a work address, or a PO Box, if you don't feel right about giving your home address. You absolutely should not need to miss out on someone else's generosity because of a simple logistical concern.

I wish you the best of luck and good fortune. Cheers!

I understand what the question is about. This is a young man who wants a razor of his own and another generous member offered to PIF him a nice Gillette Vintage Flare Tip Rocket and blades. I suggest that the OP have his Father provide a work address and name so that the PIF can be sent there in safety. OP, communicate only through PM.

Frank

Do this young man.

Yup ... ^^^

When I said he should ask for permission first it had nothing to do with the good people of B&B. The OP is a 15 yo young man, 'nuff said.
His parents should know about these things.

I'll send over girls in ugg boots to stalk you every morning and continuously offer you pumpkin spiced lattes.

OK, I want to be pedantic and correct myself a little. (After some quick research...)

Technically, HTTP (that is, the World Wide Web) was proposed in 1989 and codified in 1990. So technically, 1992 was not before the WWW. However, Mosaic, which was the first popular web browser and eventually went on to become Netscape, which went on to become Phoenix, which went on to become Firefox, was developed in 1992. I had version 0.6a on my computer in high school.

Nobody cares, but I don't like saying something that I know to be factually incorrect. I'm wrong more than enough without my knowledge, so I don't need to be cluttering up my stats when I can correct it first. :lol:

Last edited:
what have your experiences been like?

I'll share my details via email or PM (Private Message), but only after establishing the recipient's credibility. I usually share it with folks who have an established track record, whom I've known for a long time, and who have been members and contributors to the forum for a long time. For a monetary transaction the rules get more stringent. Once that information is out there, you have no control over it any more, so think of what you would NOT like to happen, and imagine that that now CAN happen. Beware.

This is where a non-residential mailing address comes in handy.

Top Bottom