What's new

What is the worst handgun you ever owned?

Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact. The grip safety would not engage all the time and the gun couldn't fire because of it. Once it happened a couple times between me and some other people at the range I ended up selling it.

I haven't bought any true lemons, but I have sold several guns because I ended up not liking them.
The one that stands out is my Kahr CM9.
When I first got it, it had an issue where I could pull the trigger all the way to the rear, and it wouldn't fire. I would have to give it a really firm squeeze once the trigger was all the way rearward to get it to go off. I sent it in to be fixed, and it did come back a little better, but it still had that symptom in the cold. That bothered me.
I didn't like that if you just racked the slide it would often fail to chamber a round. Kahr recommends locking the slide to the rear, inserting a magazine, then using the slide stop/release to drop the slide. In my opinion, you should be able to successfully chamber a round using either method. It did get better as it broke in, but it was still inconsistent.
The quality of their magazines was really poor. The baseplates had sharp edges that dug into me when carrying the gun and it was really uncomfortable. Also, the baseplates slid off the magazine body too easily. Several times when practicing emergency reloads, the baseplate came off sending the spring and cartridges in every direction.
As soon as the Glock 43 came out I ditched the Kahr, and have never regretted it.
In spite of the issues I had with the Kahr, it carried nicely and functioned reliably.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Without a doubt, a S&W 559...
Had & parted with a wonderful, S&W Model 59 & a few years later figured that a 559 would be a good way to get back into 9mms. Couldn’t have been more wrong, as I & everyone else who shot it could never hit a thing with it. Though it ran like a scalded dog, it was about as accurate as a drunk knife thrower.

Last edited:
I know this is suppose to be a really good gun but I had no luck with mine, a Kimber 45 ACP. Kept jamming up on me. I let my friend shoot it and it jammed up on him. It may have been the most expensive gun I ever bought on top of it all.
So I traded it in.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know this is suppose to be a really good gun but I had no luck with mine, a Kimber 45 ACP. Kept jamming up on me. I let my friend shoot it and it jammed up on him. It may have been the most expensive gun I ever bought on top of it all.
So I traded it in.

I've heard comments about Kimber that went something like this:

"Get the new revolver...it's a Kimber that won't jam on you."

I'm away from my safe right now...a long ways away...but the worst one was a Raven (I'm sure that's what the slide says) .380. Anyways, it's worth exactly what I paid for it...nothing. It's one of the Ring of Fire ones like Lorcin, Davis, Jennings, etc. cheap ones.

Some guy had left it in a hotel room of the hotel the wife was managing and never came back to pick it up. After the required time of holding abandoned property she brought it home. I checked it for stolen and it came back okay, and seemed to work alright in a couple of dry fires.

I cleaned it before I was going to carefully fire it, and a little sliver of metal fell out. After that the firing pin wouldn't work. YMMV.

So I traded it in.

What ammo and what mags? Only reason I ask is that my cousin bought a kimber a few years ago that refused to function unless he used chip mccormick mags....it wasn't even reliable with Wilson mags, and that was pretty odd.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What ammo and what mags? Only reason I ask is that my cousin bought a kimber a few years ago that refused to function unless he used chip mccormick mags....it wasn't even reliable with Wilson mags, and that was pretty odd.

My Franken-1911 only works with Kimber mags ... at some point we all need to sit down and trade magazines!

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I just checked the safe and the Saturday Night Special .380 is a Davis and not a Raven. I racked the slide on it and the safety doesn't work and when you pull the trigger nothing happens...no firing pin drop.

Edit: I just pulled it out and forced the safety on, then off. The firing pin drops now. If I try and shoot it I think I'll do like Elmer Keith did with the Colt SAA .44 Specials when he was developing the .44 magnum: strap it inside an old tire and pull the trigger with a very long string while I'm behind a sturdy barricade. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
+1
Same with my Kimber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I had a Raven .22 years ago. I knew it wasn't a high quality name, but I figured eh, it's only a .22 right?
I think the frame and slide were made from lead..... I wore all the moving contact parts to the point it wouldn't function at all in just under 250 rounds of standard velocity .22LR.....

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's the Davis .380...in all its glory. :lol:

Hey, don't knock it...the brothers in the 'hood been killin' each other with 'em for years.

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

Walther ppk/s, .380; me n my big hand... slide bites when I gripped too high. If I think about it more than a passing thought I can feel it as if it were yesterday and not nearly thirty years ago.

Top Bottom