What's new

What is the worst blade you have used in your razor?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow. Theres a lot of dislike for Derby Extra lol.

They need a rigid design. In one, such as a Fatip or NEW SC, they're a really nice blade.

In my R41,
imwithyoufellas.jpg

Shopping a razor to accommodate a bad blade is like the song verse;

These rose colored glasses
That I'm looking through
Show only the beauty
'Cause they hide all the truth

MM879

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Shopping a razor to accommodate a bad blade is like the song verse;

These rose colored glasses
That I'm looking through
Show only the beauty
'Cause they hide all the truth

MM879

Its the other way around for me. All my razors are rigid designs but one, the R41.

Yuck.

I tried a Derby Extra once and that was enough.
I think that the Extra means "Extra Styptic Needed" or "Extra Time to Heal"

It was like trying to shave with a wire brush.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I believe it was a 23c

Thats why. This is the baseplate for the 23C.

3583894.jpg

The blade is supported by the base at each of the raised center bars and no where else along the width of the baseplate. Its the same basic design as the R41 as far as blade support goes.

My first R41 shave with a Derby Extra below.

R41, Common Bar handle - Derby Extra.

Stirling Island Man.

Maggard synthetic.

49 hours since last shave.

Starting with the typical 3 pass shave, first pass N-S WTG/XTG. Second pass S-N XTG/ATG. Third pass and all cleanups done directly ATG.

Like I said in my first shave with my Grande and a Derby Extra, as soon as the razor moved I knew.

It tugged, considerably. No effortless full length strokes on this first pass. Two strokes over my cheek to my jawline and 4 strokes from my jawline to the base of my neck. Interestingly, as soon as the blade encountered my swirls, it skipped right over them, even leaving lather in the stubble. An adjustment in technique solved that however. I went a little shallower and increased the pressure considerably. That ended the skipping and minimized the tugging.

Rigidity doesnt make a shave more effective? I very much disagree.

Second pass S-N and still some very light tugging but not an issue and honestly, smooth sailing. Comfortable and easy. I buffed around my chin the same as always, a little over my swirls and even changed direction, painting lather with the comb and shaved over both swirls the opposite direction keeping to a shallow angle. No issues.

Third pass directly ATG, angle leaning more to neutral and steep than shallow now. Again no issues, nice smooth easy shave, very light buffing over my jawline both sides and my swirls again.

Wipe and check and not quite there yet, so I did one more clean up pass and finished with a very nice and comfortable BBS shave. No irritation or redness at all and my skin is cool and comfortable.

Now I'll say, Derby Extra is not a good match in this razor and using it has cemented what I've said numerous times about the many people that have tried them and dislike them. Use them in a rigid design! It makes a difference.

Using the same blade in my Grande its a 2 1/2 pass BBS. No tugging, no skipping. The difference in blade exposure between the two is minimal.

r41-fatip2-jpg.895528

Not only does it make a difference with Derby Extra, but it does every other blade I've tried as well.

Rigidity
. Makes. A. Difference.

Now I will also say, a sharper blade may very well eliminate the tugging and skipping I experienced, but at the same time, wouldnt a more rigid design also elevate that blade too? Yep, it would.

In a more rigid design, even at 72 hours growth, they work very well.

the shave on 72 hours of growth with a Derby Extra was incredibly smooth. At some points in the shave I couldn't even hear the blade cutting. The result was bbs and dfs on my neck with no feed back from Furbo Blu aftershave splash which is alcohol heavy imo.

I’ll bet I said Merkur about 6-10 years ago.

I’ve decided the treet silver is the worst blade I’ve ever used. It felt like a box cutter. I think it’s just uncoated carbon steel. I’m glad I only bought one pack.

Edit: I said Merkur in 2009.

Tiger Carbon Steel by far, which comes with just three holes, no slots. It was truly horrible, it was rough, scraped, and tugged. I pulled it out after just 1 or 2 swipes, and loaded a real blade. And that was in my Rockwell, which is otherwise a fantastically smooth razor.

Keep in mind I HATED the original Derby blades, they're simply not sharp enough and tug quite a bit on my gray growth, and they couldn't hold a candle to that truly miserable Tiger Carbon Steel blade.

I can't say they're the worst blade, however the Parker blades appear to be the worst blade I've used in a while.

Loaded one up in my Parker Variant last week. I normally don't really have to really give my shave much thought with the Variant set @ 3 and forget. Blade is certainly sharp for me, deceptively smooth.. But would always bite! Never has a blade, this far along on my DE journey given me so many issues, especially with my Variant.

Tried another one in my Piccolo today, and yikes! All of the above x3. You would think it was my first time shaving.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The only truly disastrous experience I've had with a blade (not counting my attempts with a shavette) was with a Personna med prep, I must have gotten a defective one because the second med prep I tried was perfectly fine. Other than that, I've simply had some blades that were more tedious than others to use, such as Derby, Dorco ST301 (afraid to try the ST300 after what I've heard), Personna Platinum Chrome reds (wrapper looked like the Israeli ones but the blades had Made in USA printed on them?), Van Der Hagen, and Lord Platinum. All of the St. Petersburg blades I've tried work great on my face, as do Crystals, Voskhods, and Sharks.

Top Bottom