What's new

what is the state of the safety razor industry?

What a great thread. My opinion, which is based on absolutely nothing: if it is no longer profitable, most manufacturers will cease making them. However...

One or two small manufacturers, which may or may not even exist as a business today...will begin manufacturing quality blades themselves, and corner the market. Their goal won't be major profit, it will be to keep the market going and boutique manufacturers. We may see price increases and definitely less choice, but someone will be around to keep it going.

What a great thread. My opinion, which is based on absolutely nothing: if it is no longer profitable, most manufacturers will cease making them. However...

One or two small manufacturers, which may or may not even exist as a business today...will begin manufacturing quality blades themselves, and corner the market. Their goal won't be major profit, it will be to keep the market going and boutique manufacturers. We may see price increases and definitely less choice, but someone will be around to keep it going.

Your opinion here is based on the cold, hard, fact of a capitalist system . . . the quest for profits trumps all. Your theoretic boutique manufactures will still be driven by profit motivation, and we will still be able to buy blades at some price. Look also at today's makers of straight razors . . . for a price unheard of one hundred years ago ($3.00 then, $150+ now) one can still purchase a good quality straight razor, and some of our classic-shaving brethren have made such a purchase.

The masses, however, continue to buy multi-blade cartridge shaving systems and sliced bread.

"I just don't know what today's man is thinking . . . shaving yourself with a thin slice of sharpened steel . . . don't they know that to really shave one needs a well-crafted straight razor, properly honed and stropped . . . not to mention a professional barber to do the job. It's the most stupid thing I've ever seen apart from sliced bread . . ."
-- Great Grandfather, 1905

Modern production of DE blades is geared to the demands of certain parts of the world where DE shaving is the norm. We are now seeing that market start to shift to low-priced carts that can compete price-wise with DE blades. Once the demand for blades drops to the point that it is no longer profitable to manufacture them, they will be no more. The reality (for our market) is that shaving with classic DE and SE razors is a geek hobby thing and sadly will never make its way back to mainstream. When was the last time you bought a loaf of bread that wasn't sliced?

I buy unsliced loaves of bread every other day. And yes, they are normal loaves, not just baguettes and such.

Ooops, sorry, didn't realize that I was flogging an expired equine on the sliced bread thing. I think it's time to lay in a 30-year supply, but I don't which blade to get. How about a 30-year supply each of my top three or four?

Last edited:
I wish there was a like button for posts. Thanks for the cool thread guys. I wasnt thinking that it may still be popular in other parts of the world.

I think it's safe to say those people probably can't afford to only use Feathers unless it's cheaper there, as well as they probably can't use Trumper's cream...

Your opinion here is based on the cold, hard, fact of a capitalist system . . . the quest for profits trumps all. Your theoretic boutique manufactures will still be driven by profit motivation, and we will still be able to buy blades at some price. Look also at today's makers of straight razors . . . for a price unheard of one hundred years ago ($3.00 then, $150+ now) one can still purchase a good quality straight razor, and some of our classic-shaving brethren have made such a purchase.

The masses, however, continue to buy multi-blade cartridge shaving systems and sliced bread.

Hmm, that gets me wondering.... how much would I be willing to pay for razor blades before saying it isn't worth it anymore (adjusting for inflation, of course). And just last night I was thinking I'm experiencing the greatest shaves I've ever had in my life by moving to a Tech from a straight.

Actually, why wouldn't they continue. The equipment has been depreciated and their only costs are materials, labour and maintenance. I'm sure they can continue on making a profit without changing anything.

Jerome

It looks pretty good to me because Gillette and Schick are making a lot of money and they're still pumping out blades for all of the safety razors they've made in the last century. Why would they stop making blades when there's such a huge demand?

I mean come on, a multi-cart razor with a battery, whatever next? It's the most stupid thing I've ever seen apart from Facebook!

Yea! a razor with a battery that makes it vibrate is SO STUPID! Not anything like spending 120 straight seconds whipping up a concoction of several different soaps (each costing over 20 dollars apeice) into a lather and calling it "uber-lather," then posting Freudian photos of it bursting forth from your brush onto an internet forum to show all your i-friends...

IMO, both are just different gimmicks and men playing with their toys. IMO, neither is any more silly than the other.

A word about Harley DAvidson and "antiquated technology."

Harley Davidsons are NOT antiquated. All current HD models use modern sequential multi-port fuel injection, and monitor and adjust fuel control via a 02 sensor and an electronic control module. Harley just has to be very careful to maintain the APPEARANCE that nothing has changed to appease it's core customer base, who seem to be mostly a bunch of whiners who can't stand the idea of anything new.

I ride a harley myself.

I also think that there will still be blades available, as companies like Personna make them for the medical field, who use them for purposes other than DE face shaving. But someone will be sharp (haha) enough to repackage them into boxes of 5 or so with a huge markup for western men who want to use them in DE razors, IMO.

Yea! a razor with a battery that makes it vibrate is SO STUPID! Not anything like spending 120 straight seconds whipping up a concoction of several different soaps (each costing over 20 dollars apeice) into a lather and calling it "uber-lather," then posting Freudian photos of it bursting forth from your brush onto an internet forum to show all your i-friends...

IMO, both are just different gimmicks and men playing with their toys. IMO, neither is any more silly than the other.

A word about Harley Davidson and "antiquated technology."

Harley Davidsons are NOT antiquated. All current HD models use modern sequential multi-port fuel injection, and monitor and adjust fuel control via a 02 sensor and an electronic control module. Harley just has to be very careful to maintain the APPEARANCE that nothing has changed to appease it's core customer base, who seem to be mostly a bunch of whiners who can't stand the idea of anything new.

I ride a harley myself.

I also think that there will still be blades available, as companies like Personna make them for the medical field, who use them for purposes other than DE face shaving. But someone will be sharp (haha) enough to repackage them into boxes of 5 or so with a huge markup for western men who want to use them in DE razors, IMO.

You ride a Harley yourself ? I usually bring my wife,backseat bunnies rock.

My FLHTCU's her favorite,she's done 700+ mile days.Relatively speaking HD's are antiquated.Ya probably should have found a better example to use.The high tech electric fuel management system you mentioned is all about makeing the antiquated Air Cooled V-Twin motor meet current EPA standards.

Ride hard and take chances

Yea, I ride a 2009 883 Sportster. The "Iron 883" model.

A lot of "harley guys" don't think that counts, though. Doesn't bother me.

HDs are "antiquated" in the sense that they all (excepting the v-rod) use pushrods, that's for sure. The fuel management system isn't "high tech," but it is standard, electronic fuel management, monitored and adjusted by a computer. Same basic concept as in your car. It doesn't matter WHY they put it in, it IS a vast step up from a carburetor.

Of course, the v-rod's "revolution" engine is a truly modern engine, with liquid cooling and overhead cams. But it doesn't get the 50mpg that my little 883 gets, so I'll stick with my "hardley ableson."

Really, aside from the aesthetic, what's "antiquated" about a HD? If you want to call air-cooling antiquated, then you are including most other motorcycle manufacturers as well, including Ducati and all the japanese makers too. Moto Guzzi comes to mind as well. All these companies make liquid AND air cooled engines.

As for push rods, you have me there. But most manufacturers also make push-rod engines too. The one really "modern" engine HD makes--- nobody wanted but me, and I can't afford one right now.

That's a nice bike Neognosis,I'd be proud to ride that anywhere.Doesn't matter,ya ride what ya got.I'm happy just being in the wind.

Hey, thanks. I love my bike. One day I'll work my way up to a softail, then an electra glide or Road King, but for now, I'm happy with my paid for 883 sportster.

I also have something like brush acquisition disorder, except with motorcycles. I LOVE every motorcycle I ride, and want to own it.

I know it's a bit off topic, but since you both own Harleys, and the newer fuel injected models faster or slower than the older carburated models of my youth?

Jerome

You ride a Harley yourself ? I usually bring my wife,backseat bunnies rock.

My FLHTCU's her favorite,she's done 700+ mile days.Relatively speaking HD's are antiquated.Ya probably should have found a better example to use.The high tech electric fuel management system you mentioned is all about makeing the antiquated Air Cooled V-Twin motor meet current EPA standards.

Ride hard and take chances

Top Bottom