What's new

What is the softest (ZERO scratch/scritch) badger brush ever made?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Plisson/Plissoft type of synthetic knot is based on make up brushes. When those first appeared around 2013-2014 they were hailed as the greatest advance in shaving brush technology ever.

No, my intentions were only to be helpful, I assure you.
I'm sure you were, but then it doesn't help much now, does it?

Say I'm coming to your town for the first time and I ask you to recommend me the best steakhouse... and you say smth. like "why don't you get a pizza..." 😂😂

See where I'm coming from, right?

I asked about a BADGER brush, with strong backbone and soft tips... So, that's what I'd like to hear about, brother.

My wife has a synthetic makeup brush... that's not what I'm looking for.

Soft and some backbone? My two favorites for this are the Thater 4670/5 with the fan/round bulb and, believe it or not. . the Razorock Chubby.
1631901777312.png
1631901820085.png

I'm sure you were, but then it doesn't help much now, does it?

Say I'm coming to your town for the first time and I ask you to recommend me the best steakhouse... and you say smth. like "why don't you get a pizza..." 😂😂

See where I'm coming from, right?

I asked about a BADGER brush, with strong backbone and soft tips... So, that's what I'd like to hear about, brother.

My wife has a synthetic makeup brush... that's not what I'm looking for.
I got you; I must have skipped over the backbone part and concentrated on the softness, which you did stress. Maybe you will never find a badger brush soft enough; but I do hope you find exactly what you are desiring.

Probably for me the Voigt & Cop VC01 (3 band) knot (shown in the picture below) is extremely soft with moderate backbone.
If you need more backbone at the expense of just a hair of the softness, then the VC02 (2-band) should also fit the bill. I personally prefer the VC01 for my own face lathering.

Another alternative is Declaration Grooming's latest B13 knots. I find them similar to the VC01 (meant as a compliment).

VC Brush.jpeg

Coming late to this but my two choices have been already mentioned -- (1) Bob Quinn's Elite High Mountain White, of which I have two, is a cloud for me and just gives great great shaves -- and works for both face and bowl and (2) Kent BK-8 which, despite its softness, lays down a great lather from face lathering. I believe Kent is moving away from natural bistles so they won't be around for long.

Criteria:

1. Price is NOT an object
2. ZERO, that reads Z.E.R.O., as in none, nothing, nada scratch/scritch whatsoever
3. Strong backbone (aka "badger wall")
4. Prefer method for building lather: face-lathering
5. Preferred knot size: min. 24mm, max. 28mm
6. Preferred knot shape: short bulb or fan shape, or smth. in between the two. I generally do not like the look and feel of very tall lofts.

So, what would you gents recommend?

TIA

Vintage (butterscotched age) Chubby 2.
Rooney Heritage three band
Vintage (butterscotched) Kent K/V models (the larger ones definitely seem denser/more backbone than smaller ones, so stick to the 8+).

Nothing competes with the softness of high end vintage badger, but getting strong backbone is almost impossible because that wasn't especially desirable back then (Chubby is one of few exceptions).

You may also like the "gel-tip" two band out there now. It's ultra soft with badger wall if done right. But it's almost unlike badger hair because there is NO resiliency at the tips whatsoever... which may be what you're after.

Already got the T3, which is indeed incredibly soft, but it is springy nonetheless.

Criterion no. 2 would indeed seem to call for a synth. What about a Chubby 2 synthetic with the "platinum grade" synthetic knot? It's denser than the T3 and meets the knot diameter criterion you have mentioned.

Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle faux Ivory - https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/brushes/synthetic-fibre-brushes/chubby-2-synthetic-bristle-faux-ivory

Edit: Elsewhere, I note that you started a thread many months ago about the difference between the T3 and C2 synthetic line. So sorry to dig up an old wound. I have the Classic 1 synth and it is a very different synth knot from what is generally served up. The Chubby 2 is of the same style, and I would reckon that it would be an improvement over the T3, although I have not tried either of the two brushes in question. I have tried a large Thai-made brush using the same synth knots as Simpson in their "platinum" line, and it is on the same caliber as the Simpson Classic 1 synth. In other words, the best, densest, backbone synth I've experienced.

Last edited:
In my low experience, there is no such badger brush for under 50€.... If want an soft, no scritch scratch badger, with backbone , i quess there most be much cash in... Someone mentioned gel tips? what is those brushes after gel tips are worn? How meny shaves does one last?

Top Bottom