What's new

What is the softest (ZERO scratch/scritch) badger brush ever made?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are quite a few soft silvertips out there, but when you also want plenty of backbone for facelathering things get more scarce.

My softest is a HUGE Parker that I wouldn't recommend (it's a real lather eater with almost no backbone).

I have a Kent BK8 that is magnificently soft, with plenty of backbone for bowl lathering, but it wouldn't be my choice for face lathering (although I've read that some people do use it that way).

I like the SOC 2 band badger for face lathering. It has soft tips - I absolutely detest scratch/scritch in any form - and very good backbone. It's not as soft as the Kent, but I think it's a great brush (and for only around $65).

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Varlet is a great brush very expensive, Rudy Vey has one and loves it, I have never owned one so can not compare. Also I have never owned a DG B9A either, I do not think Dan has ever used a Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip either.

I think your least expensive option that would meet your needs is what Rudy Vey recommended.

I tip my hat to both Dan & Rudy when it comes to anything about brushes.
I’m not even in the same galaxy as Rudy. I bow to his brush experience.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Out of curiosity, why not a synthetic? It would seem to meet all your needs.

Exactly what I was just thinking. I'll never buy another silvertip again after getting an inexpensive Stirling Tuxedo. To each his own!

SMdF-lather.jpg

This is my experience with the Beagle as well. We had Bernd set the knots 2-3 mm lower than he recommends in order to increase scrub. A bit of scritch appears to be a side effect of this, particularly in the bulb.
That makes sense Owen, all my other Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip are set to the suggested height and they are great.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I agree with a lot of folks who like the 2 band badgers(Finest badger) I have 3 of the 2band badgers and a 24mm high mountain silvertip badger(this one does have some tiny prickly but very nice for my hide). The 24mm 2 band badger are the best feeling and with good results generating lather, great soft scrubber and great lather painter is what I found. I have just recently bought some and was impressed with the 2 band badgers. I would think what Rudy Vey mentioned a 2band in a silver tip would be awesome & he would know also with a custom handle.

Exactly what I was just thinking. I'll never buy another silvertip again after getting an inexpensive Stirling Tuxedo. To each his own!

View attachment 1321735

I have a couple of Stirling fan knot finest badger brushes and love them. Very soft with good backbone and a density that just works great for lathering and rinsing.....all for $32.95. As a matter of fact, thinking about getting another one. Prefer these over my Mistura.

Last edited:
Exactly what I am thinking about @macintoshBR... I guess I have a weak spot for Simpson brushes.

Any thoughts on CH1 vs CH2 in terms of backbone...?

I think the CH2 wins in backbone. All CH2s have a more compact knot density x loft proportion vs CH1 and CH3.
Keep in mind I’m in the minority in this forum that prefers a good ol’ Silvertip 3 band vs any 2 band, and I have owned (and still own) many top level 2 bands. If I had to keep only one brush it would be the CH1 Super without a doubt

@Tomo says the Thater is borderline too soft for him, I have a very similar brush with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip knot and find it to be truly stellar.

Last edited:
With such a high priority in softness/lack of scritch I'm curious why you wouldn't consider a synthetic? That's one of the categories where synths totally dominate.

If it has to be natural then a full gel tip knot would be hard to beat.
I have answered that question above, already, so just scroll up and you'll see.

You could have the best of both worlds — a synth that looks like a badger … like a Paladin …
View attachment 1321738
I already do... but that wasn't the question.

If I ask you about buying a car, you're not helping me by recommending a boat 😉

For the 3rd time in this thread - I already have Simpson synthetic, great brush, thank you, but I am asking about BADGER.

I think the CH2 wins in backbone. All CH2s have a more compact knot density x loft proportion vs CH1 and CH3.
Keep in mind I’m in the minority in this forum that prefers a good ol’ Silvertip 3 band vs any 2 band, and I have owned (and still own) many top level 2 bands. If I had to keep only one brush it would be the CH1 Super without a doubt

@Tomo says the Thater is borderline too soft for him, I have a very similar brush with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip knot and find it to be truly stellar.
So when all is said and done, the choice comes down to CH2 Super vs Shavemac D01 Silvertip. At least, I'm somewhat closer to making up my mind... eventually. Thank you.

I don't think I've seen a single member criticize the advice he's given by other B&Bers so consistently and across so many posts as this guy. He did the same thing way back in his residual slickness compared to SV soap thread and just about every one in between.

Top Bottom