What's new

What is the softest brush?

Hi everyone.

I would appreciate your tips for the softest brush ever. Also I have a few questions.

I own a Razorock Plissoft, a cheap NOM pure badger and Omega for Proraso boar. That is the order from softest to "scritchiest" for me.

I like to face lather since I find it so easy to get the most hydrated, shiny, slick lather. In the bowl, the lather doesn't absorb the water and becomes bubbly and thin.

Unfortunately I had to switch to palm lathering since I get "brush burn" if I face lather too long, even with the heavenly soft plissoft. My face is irritated before picking up the razor. This is the case even with "sensitive" labeled soaps, so it's not ingridiences in the soap that my face is reacting to. I would like to be able to splay the brush on my face and massage the lather in the beard, without irritation.
So I wonder...

Is there a softer loft than RazoRock's plissoft?
Does a broken in boar like my omega or, for example a Semogue 830 get anywhere near synthetic level softness?
Is Mühle STF softer than a then RazoRock's plissoft?

I Don't care about backbone at all. I can load hard soaps no problem and create great lather easily with a floppy brush. My only goal is to find the softest tips in order to get the pleasure from working them on my face without getting irritated.

I wonder how a gelled silvertip badger brush might work for you? My Epsilon 2 band is only slightly gelled. If you are going to stick with synthetic, what you need is one of these new generation fibres that are really thin and the knot is dense and the whole thing feels like one solid mass on your face without any individual fibre feel. That is going to take some work to find, but they are becoming more common trying to copy Wald.

I wonder how a gelled silvertip badger brush might work for you? My Epsilon 2 band is only slightly gelled. If you are going to stick with synthetic, what you need is one of these new generation fibres that are really thin and the knot is dense and the whole thing feels like one solid mass on your face without any individual fibre feel. That is going to take some work to find, but they are becoming more common trying to copy Wald.
Thanks for the tip, but could you please provide some refference to the "gelled silvertip"? I am hearing of this the first time. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the tip, but could you please provide some refference to the "gelled silvertip"? I am hearing of this the first time. I'll check it out.
I took a look around and couldn't find something to demonstrate what it is, maybe there is a video, that would be the most helpful. It's a way of chemically treating the tips of the hair and literally feels like gel when wet. It's something that a lot of Artisans do and don't properly declare it leading to selling over gelled expensive brushes. My Epsilon wasn't declared either and that's from a standard European manufacturer so it's a bit difficult to know what you are getting. I was going to say something about a Kent mentioned above, but you would have to hunt for one.

Softest I think is probably a synthetic like the Cashmere knot. The vendors sometimes use different names.

Here's a picture of a 24mm Cashmere brush from AP Shave Co. They have a good selection of handles to choose from.

1674156092509.png

Have a Plissoft like you I found it itchy scratchy burny but sold me on how they build lather

got a Muhle STF from Rudy Vey and now my fav brush

besides that Plissoft I had a Semogue Badger forgot the exact model name owners club ? But they are like $80 and its a wonderful soft brush to the face but I just prefer the way the synthetic work with my hard water and lather up and overall ?

So maybe try to get a Muhle STF and might be other synthetics for you like those from APShave that are great also he is a member here plan on ordering some but seems to be helpful

or yeah I would say a badger could do it if chosen well not to much experience and again just comes down to how they react with your water and soap :)

to me the badger just hogs lather more does not want to release it as well and just takes more work to build lather but the insane water I am sure is a issue

I ramble to say if you love the synthetic properties its just getting the correct one

Thanks for All the tips so far. For now I think I will go for a 26mm AP cashmere fan. It's 15$ with a nice handle and supposedly softer than STF that's 5x more expensive. Great stuff! Also, 7$ shipping to central Europe, wow.
I didn't know that you could order from AP, was going to link the Gellousy knots. Maybe consider that to try next time.

Softest I think is probably a synthetic like the Cashmere knot. The vendors sometimes use different names.

Here's a picture of a 24mm Cashmere brush from AP Shave Co. They have a good selection of handles to choose from.

View attachment 1590920

I'd say anything with a cashmere knot or if u stay in the razorock line the mokasoft!!! To my face both are a step up in softness compared to the plissoft.
I have a Yaqi 24 mm Cashmere knot and it’s easily the softest brush I’ve come across.

I didn't know that you could order from AP, was going to link the Gellousy knots. Maybe consider that to try next time.
I just put some stuff to the cart and tried to check out to see if I could order to Slovakia. Standard international shipping for 7$ popped up so that's why I picked the cashmere, it was rated very high for softness and splay and very low for scrub. That's just what I need. I'll check out Gellousy as well, I haven't ordered yet and I won't until I'm 100% confident I'm actually buying what I need based on what I read about it.

I just put some stuff to the cart and tried to check out to see if I could order to Slovakia. Standard international shipping for 7$ popped up so that's why I picked the cashmere, it was rated very high for softness and splay and very low for scrub. That's just what I need. I'll check out Gellousy as well, I haven't ordered yet and I won't until I'm 100% confident I'm actually buying what I need based on what I read about it.
You can contact Andrew with any questions you have, he always answers me. I think he has some hand made handles left from the last drop or he has seconds which are worth a look. Good luck!

Like others have said here, any questions please let me know. Cashmere is the softness I’ve worked with that doesn’t use make-up hair (Motherloade uses make-up hair, which is why I will never carry it, it’s extremely prone to tangling).
Will be ordering a cashmere soon most likely, gelousy doesn't quite fit my budget. I'll leave Loft setting to you with a note for most splaying and softness while being able to load hard soaps. Great work you are doing with amazing prices!

Top Bottom