What's new

What is the softest brush?

Hi everyone.

I would appreciate your tips for the softest brush ever. Also I have a few questions.

I own a Razorock Plissoft, a cheap NOM pure badger and Omega for Proraso boar. That is the order from softest to "scritchiest" for me.

I like to face lather since I find it so easy to get the most hydrated, shiny, slick lather. In the bowl, the lather doesn't absorb the water and becomes bubbly and thin.

Unfortunately I had to switch to palm lathering since I get "brush burn" if I face lather too long, even with the heavenly soft plissoft. My face is irritated before picking up the razor. This is the case even with "sensitive" labeled soaps, so it's not ingridiences in the soap that my face is reacting to. I would like to be able to splay the brush on my face and massage the lather in the beard, without irritation.
So I wonder...

Is there a softer loft than RazoRock's plissoft?
Does a broken in boar like my omega or, for example a Semogue 830 get anywhere near synthetic level softness?
Is Mühle STF softer than a then RazoRock's plissoft?

I Don't care about backbone at all. I can load hard soaps no problem and create great lather easily with a floppy brush. My only goal is to find the softest tips in order to get the pleasure from working them on my face without getting irritated.
A good quality silver-tip Badger using a medium to high end priced shave cream is as soft as it can get.

A horse hair in the middle, boars on right side, Badgers on left. The front left silver tip has very fine, very soft hair. Even with a shorter loft there is no scrub. Just soft pillow lather.

IMG_1902.jpeg

A good quality silver-tip Badger using a medium to high end priced shave cream is as soft as it can get.

A horse hair in the middle, boars on right side, Badgers on left. The front left silver tip has very fine, very soft hair. Even with a shorter loft there is no scrub. Just soft pillow lather.

View attachment 1638306
And what kind is that badger brush you speak of?

And what kind is that badger brush you speak of?
This is the description they gave me David. OUMOBRUSH-SHD SILK HMW slivertip knot gel tip is the description I got from Ali express. It definitely isn’t a gel tip. It is the softest brush of the group. Except for the zenith horse and Zenith boar; the knots and handles were purchased from Ali and I set them all. This is the link GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/post-10669731

After I had set the silver tip knot part of the wood on the acrylic combo handle broke off. Another adventure in my early going.

I do not think Chinese descriptions on many of their products are accurate.

I’m now happily using a B35 Zenith boar in my fixed four. I love it.

Last edited:
This is the description they gave me David. OUMOBRUSH-SHD SILK HMW slivertip knot gel tip is the description I got from Ali express. It definitely isn’t a gel tip. It is the softest brush of the group. Except for the zenith horse and Zenith boar; the knots and handles were purchased from Ali and I set them all. This is the link GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/post-10669731

After I had set the silver tip knot part of the wood on the acrylic combo handle broke off. Another adventure in my early going.

I do not think Chinese descriptions on many of their products are accurate.

I’m now happily using a B35 Zenith boar in my fixed four. I love it.
Thank you, it’s a lovely looking full, dense knot. There are quite a few glowing reviews of the Oumo knot. Congratulations!

I know this is an older thread but AP Shave Co has a knot called "cashmere" it's literally the softest brush ever and many others agree. I'll link you the site. You can pick your handle of choice and select cashmere. Trust me if that's not soft enough for you I don't know what would fit your bill lol. It's not too pricey either. I'll also leave you a pic of mine. Unfortunately he doesn't make the white handle anymore so I got lucky to pick it up while I could.
20240114_215741.jpg

I know this is an older thread but AP Shave Co has a knot called "cashmere" it's literally the softest brush ever and many others agree. I'll link you the site. You can pick your handle of choice and select cashmere. Trust me if that's not soft enough for you I don't know what would fit your bill lol. It's not too pricey either. I'll also leave you a pic of mine. Unfortunately he doesn't make the white handle anymore so I got lucky to pick it up while I could.
View attachment 1780136
Thanks, lucky for me, I have been using this knot in a black acrylic handle for a year now and it's great!

I know this is an older thread but AP Shave Co has a knot called "cashmere" it's literally the softest brush ever and many others agree. I'll link you the site. You can pick your handle of choice and select cashmere. Trust me if that's not soft enough for you I don't know what would fit your bill lol.
I have had this knot in the past and moved it on to another B&B'r because it never got used much. I will say that though it's definitely soft, I found personally that the TurnNShave Angelhair has it beat by quite a bit in my opinion but will also mention that the Wald Calyx with the 27mm A1 knot in it has surpassed the Angelhair as of late!! Might be important to note the DC/TNS Angelhair was set in the handle by me a few years back.

25mm DC/TNS Angelhair
SOTDTIBBGS1.jpg

27mm Wald Calyx
SOTDTIBBFT8.jpg

I have had this knot in the past and moved it on to another B&B'r because it never got used much. I will say that though it's definitely soft, I found personally that the TurnNShave Angelhair has it beat by quite a bit in my opinion but will also mention that the Wald Calyx with the 27mm A1 knot in it has surpassed the Angelhair as of late!! Might be important to note the DC/TNS Angelhair was set in the handle by me a few years back.

25mm DC/TNS Angelhair
View attachment 1780355

27mm Wald Calyx
View attachment 1780357
Interesting 🤔. Honestly I love the face feel and lather ability of the cashmere and the other two synthetics I've had. It's just kindof a pain to load the brush from a puck. Even when I soak the puck it just has this weird drag and doesn't glide on the soap like how natural hair brushes do. Is this just the nature of synthetics in your opinion or are there synthetics that don't do this?

Interesting 🤔. Honestly I love the face feel and lather ability of the cashmere and the other two synthetics I've had. It's just kindof a pain to load the brush from a puck. Even when I soak the puck it just has this weird drag and doesn't glide on the soap like how natural hair brushes do. Is this just the nature of synthetics in your opinion or are there synthetics that don't do this?
I seem to remember the reason I sold off the Cashmere was that it had too much backbone. I'm a face latherer 100% of the time and require a brush that doesn't fight back when I'm splaying and building a lather... The 2 brushes I mentioned in my previous post just seem to explode with lather as soon as I touch the brush to the tub. I can't ever image a time when you should introduce water to a tub of soap!! If you have to soak a puck your using either the wrong soap, brush, or maybe even both...

I wet the brush then squeeze almost all the water out of the brush, then splay it in the tub just to get moisture on top of the puck and swirl maybe 20-30 times on the puck, then I use my finger to get all the proto lather out of the tub and put it on my face and begin to lather my face with the brush and I may dip my brush in the sink water usually once and sometimes twice to help build the lather to my liking. This process takes maybe 3-5 minutes maximum and I usually have enough lather for probably 6+ passes although I only use 2.5 passes per shave.

I wet the brush then squeeze almost all the water out of the brush, then splay it in the tub just to get moisture on top of the puck and swirl maybe 20-30 times on the puck, then I use my finger to get all the proto lather out of the tub and put it on my face and begin to lather my face with the brush and I may dip my brush in the sink water usually once and sometimes twice to help build the lather to my liking.
"To my liking" should be the key point here. My liking means dipping the brush multiple times, depending on the soap and bringing the lather to an almost see-through and shiny state of hydration. And I never noticed the cashmere knot fighting back when splaying. Yes it's a bit springy but all synthetics that I tried were similar. Point is the tips are heavenly soft.

It's just kindof a pain to load the brush from a puck. Even when I soak the puck it just has this weird drag and doesn't glide on the soap like how natural hair brushes do. Is this just the nature of synthetics in your opinion or are there synthetics that don't do this?
To all honesty, the feeling of a brush on the puck does not concern me in the slightest. I'm on the puck until the knot is fully loaded with soap, then I'm gone. But yes, the ultrasoft synts like cashmere and plissoft have a different sensation than my boar and badger. Again - couldn't care less.

"To my liking" should be the key point here. My liking means dipping the brush multiple times, depending on the soap and bringing the lather to an almost see-through and shiny state of hydration. And I never noticed the cashmere knot fighting back when splaying. Yes it's a bit springy but all synthetics that I tried were similar. Point is the tips are heavenly soft.
You are correct with the "to my liking" being the key point as my lather also ends in being "an almost see-through and shiny state of hydration" also but I am only in need of 1-2 dips of the tips to aquire this while making the lather on my face and not in the tub. As to the Cashmere knot, springy "is" fighting back to me. My other knots aren't springy, hence the reason I still have and use them in my rotation and moved the Cashmere and so many others on...

First off i'll start by saying i want the exact same behavior on my brush as you do. I've done a lot of testing and trial/error and came up with the following.
On a high budget you should buy a Wald A1 29mm and you don't look back. This specific knot is on a whole different level.
If you don't want to spend that much you will buy a MiG from APshave and set it high (56mm+). That's all there is to it for me.
I'll add the cashmere knot in there too as an honorable mention (preferably high loft).

Last edited:
Interesting takes everyone!

Based off of your comments I was using the AP's cashmere. And I loved it. Definitely soft. I wanted the luxury of softness for pleasure and performance as I was thinking the brush was upseting my skin.

But since christmas I switched to a boar! In the last year I switched to straight razors, learned to hone and worked on my shaving technique. And voila - the brush never did Near enough damage as the blade. So now I am enjoying my Semogue and breaking it in. It wasnt half Bad out of the box. Now it Has stopped sheding and is beggining to soften. And I think it helps a little to prep my skin by gently rubbing off some dead skin.

Top Bottom