What's new

What is the significance of your Avatar?

In earlier days, I watched so many M*A*S*H re-runs (after having watched several seasons as they were on) that I could tell which episode it would be within the first 15-30 seconds. Felt like there were shaving scenes in every other episode.

Now I watch almost no tv and spend more time on shaving distractions!

Mine is a caricature of me drawn by Ed “Big Daddy” Roth when he was my Sunday school teacher back around 1980. Besides being a family friend, he and I also shared an interest in screen printing which he references in the drawing, and also my then employment at Tastee Freez. The world lost this talented artist back in 2001. I recently found the avatar drawing among things packed away in my garage.
C35E7785-952C-4D5B-A923-95C14BDCAF2A.jpeg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mine is a caricature of me drawn by Ed “Big Daddy” Roth when he was my Sunday school teacher back around 1980. Besides being a family friend, he and I also shared an interest in screen printing which he references in the drawing, and also my then employment at Tastee Freez. The world lost this talented artist back in 2001. I recently found the avatar drawing among things packed away in my garage.
View attachment 1223750
Thank you for sharing this with us.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Mine is Elmer Keith, famous gun writer, father of the .44 magnum, real life Idaho cowboy, hunting guide, etc. And he smoked a pipe. I'm most active in the shooting and brown leaf forums.

I’ve noticed a lot of different Avatars and wondered at the significance of them.

<<Mine for instance means I’m a member of the Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies.

I’ve often wondered the significance of @Doc4 ‘s avatar.

Post what significance your avatar has to you.
Sasquatch is as common in WA as a logo or ad for things as anything else........This image is a still from the movie " Letters from the Big Man"

My avatar is a tribute to one of the greatest actors of his generation, James "Jimmy" Maitland Stewart.

I guess what I most admire about him, besides him being an exemplary family man, is the fact that he voluntarily enlisted in the Army to fight in the WW2. He did so despite the fact he was already a Hollywood superstar at the time.

Jimmy took part in real battles, real fight. He was not there as a Hollywood celebrity to entertain troops. He stayed with the USAF until retiring from active service in 1968. He reached the rank of Major General.
James Stewart - Wikipedia

He was a man of great fame, yet a man humble and servient to his family, his community and his country.

And well... he had that true gentleman's charm and lived in the good ol' times when men wore tailored suits and shaved at barber's... and started their day by reading the morning papers.

You probably know this story, but maybe others don't. It's from an article in Vanity Fair, written by William Frye in April, 2003, about his memories of Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Ronald Colman. Very interesting article, with interesting analogies to this Wet Shaving World of ours. Link to the full article: Gentlemen's Agreement | Vanity Fair | April 2003 - https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/2003/4/gentlemens-agreement

And the story about Jimmy Stewart:

When it came to clothes, Jimmy was the opposite of Cary and Ronnie. Clothes meant nothing to him. He had his shirts made, but only because of his extra-long arms and extra-thin neck. Other than that, a jacket was a jacket to him, and a suit was a suit. I went to London with him when he was invited to make a presentation for Princess Anne at a charity event. We stayed at the Connaught Hotel, and as we were dressing that night—it was black-tie—I went into Jimmy’s room for some reason, and he looked at me and said, “Is it black-tie tonight? Nobody told me, and I didn’t bring one.” It was much too late to go to a rental shop. He said, “That’s all right— I’ve got a blue suit and a white shirt.” “Do you have a bow tie?,” I asked. “No, but I’ll go down and borrow one from the waiter.”​
He went downstairs, got a bow tie from one of the waiters, came back up and put it on, and looked absolutely wonderful. He was completely at ease on the stage that night, and I don’t think one person noticed or cared—certainly he didn’t—that he wasn’t in formal attire.​

You probably know this story, but maybe others don't. It's from an article in Vanity Fair, written by William Frye in April, 2003, about his memories of Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Ronald Colman. Very interesting article, with interesting analogies to this Wet Shaving World of ours. Link to the full article: Gentlemen's Agreement | Vanity Fair | April 2003 - https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/2003/4/gentlemens-agreement

And the story about Jimmy Stewart:

When it came to clothes, Jimmy was the opposite of Cary and Ronnie. Clothes meant nothing to him. He had his shirts made, but only because of his extra-long arms and extra-thin neck. Other than that, a jacket was a jacket to him, and a suit was a suit. I went to London with him when he was invited to make a presentation for Princess Anne at a charity event. We stayed at the Connaught Hotel, and as we were dressing that night—it was black-tie—I went into Jimmy’s room for some reason, and he looked at me and said, “Is it black-tie tonight? Nobody told me, and I didn’t bring one.” It was much too late to go to a rental shop. He said, “That’s all right— I’ve got a blue suit and a white shirt.” “Do you have a bow tie?,” I asked. “No, but I’ll go down and borrow one from the waiter.”​
He went downstairs, got a bow tie from one of the waiters, came back up and put it on, and looked absolutely wonderful. He was completely at ease on the stage that night, and I don’t think one person noticed or cared—certainly he didn’t—that he wasn’t in formal attire.​
You got to love Jimmy. What a great man he was! Tnx for sharing this. 👍👍😊

Mine is a bust of an unknown philosopher and/or barbarian. The original is housed at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Denmark. The identity of this bust has never been confirmed. The work was formerly considered a barbarian, but it has no traits that are found only in barbarians. The more common understanding is that it depicts an unknown philosopher or cynic.

The meaning is that even if you were important enough that someone carved a marble bust of your image, you will evenutally be forgotten in time. Also, the unknown philosopher-barbarian could use a shave.

Top Bottom