What's new

What is the significance of your Avatar?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Were you a school music teacher/marching band director?

I only did marching band for a few years. I did 10 years at the middle school, 20 in the elementary and the last 8 as the high school band director with daily rehearsals of the concert band and wind ensemble. Then I did 6 more years part time. It was absolutely the best job in the world. I didn't have a singe day in 38 years when I got out of bed and wished I didn't have to go to work. I love kids and music, and that's what I got to do all day.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I only did marching band for a few years. I did 10 years at the middle school, 20 in the elementary and the last 8 as the high school band director with daily rehearsals of the concert band and wind ensemble. Then I did 6 more years part time. It was absolutely the best job in the world. I didn't have a singe day in 38 years when I got out of bed and wished I didn't have to go to work. I love kids and music, and that's what I got to do all day.
My kids were actively involved with marching band, wind symphony, concert band, etc. I can't say enough for what music did for them. Remarkable. And the hours that the directors put in... wow. My only negative memories were the interminable weekends spent in the big indoor football stadium in Indianapolis for the Bands of America competitions each November. The sound of 250 piece bands bouncing off the thousands of empty seats in the stadium was the definition of cacophony. I used to say that if I had one day to live I'd spend it at a BoA competition, because those damn things went on forever!

Thanks for choosing to teach. It truly is a life well spent.

My kids were actively involved with marching band, wind symphony, concert band, etc. I can't say enough for what music did for them. Remarkable. And the hours that the directors put in... wow. My only negative memories were the interminable weekends spent in the big indoor football stadium in Indianapolis for the Bands of America competitions each November. The sound of 250 piece bands bouncing off the thousands of empty seats in the stadium was the definition of cacophony. I used to say that if I had one day to live I'd spend it at a BoA competition, because those damn things went on forever!

I envy those that can enjoy music. I have a bad hearing loss in my left ear along with a 100% loss of comprehension in that ear. It all just sounds like unintelligible noise. Then to top it off I have tinnitus in both ears. Music triggers the tinnitus to go nuclear. I can nearly stand it. In an environment like BoA, I would have a migraine within minutes.

Don’t take your enjoyment of music for granted. It can be gone in a heartbeat just like mine was.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Mine is Don Draper, the suave scoundrel of one of my favorite TV series Mad Men. Draper is not an admirable character, definitely not someone to emulate. An antihero in the same mold as George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman. It's a very watchable, well done show.

My two favorite avatar's on this site are the one of the Franziskaner Weissbier logo, (a beer drinking monk) that belongs to a member from Europe I believe, I forgot who exactly, and the one sported by @Legion.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Mine is Don Draper, the suave scoundrel of one of my favorite TV series Mad Men. Draper is not an admirable character, definitely not someone to emulate. An antihero in the same mold as George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman. It's a very watchable, well done show.

My two favorite avatar's on this site are the one of the Franziskaner Weissbier logo, (a beer drinking monk) that belongs to a member from Europe I believe, I forgot who exactly, and the one sported by @Legion.
I honestly thought your avatar was Rock Hudson.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I honestly thought your avatar was Rock Hudson.

Ha! I suppose he does have a bit of a resemblance. The actor's name is Jon Hamm. Regarding the character of Don Draper, the only redeeming quality I can think of that he possessed is the fact he was well read, guy was always reading a classic of some sort. The New York Public Library even put out a Mad Men reading list

Haggis was a dog. The best dog.

haggis-hr-color-1.jpg

The food he was named after is not particularly photogenic.

haggis.jpg

Although I may someday use it as an avatar, I would need to be really, really hungry. Someone decided "how much worse could it be?" and canned it. I admire their dedication to making haggis available for the apocalypse. Stock up!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Haggis was a dog. The best dog.

View attachment 1209076

The food he was named after is not particularly photogenic.

View attachment 1209077

Although I may someday use it as an avatar, I would need to be really, really hungry. Someone decided "how much worse could it be?" and canned it. I admire their dedication to making haggis available for the apocalypse. Stock up!

I had a can of haggis taken away from me by the Heathrow TSA. Supposedly for the liquid content.

"I'm bringing it back for a friend," I argued in vain.

The English agent WAS amused.

"If you're bringing that back for him," he declared with a smile, "you're not his friend."

We'd had good (real) haggis at a friend's home in Scotland. Though they'd bought one for us to try, I remember having to fight family members to get in there to get some.

AA

Top Bottom