What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

What is the significance of your Avatar?

Owen Bawn

"Ask me about a fluffernutter"
Obviously I selected this picture for my avatar because the young man with the horns is terribly handsome, charming and suave. When we went to the new program it got a little blurry, but it's clear on my page under media.

I'm a trumpet player (duh) and a retired band director, born in 1951.
Were you a school music teacher/marching band director?

If I visit your church will ya put me up? I have gotta get outta Michigan! That is beautiful.
Actually not my church. We live two counties away. It's Mountain View Methodist Church where I know a lot of people through Walk To Emmaus and they have lots of talented bluegrass musicians. So it is like a destination church
This is the view from town where we are moving. Narrows Va
1610653543262.png

Owen Bawn

Actually not my church. We live two counties away. It's Mountain View Methodist Church where I know a lot of people through Walk To Emmaus and they have lots of talented bluegrass musicians. So it is like a destination church
This is the view from town where we are moving. Narrows Va
View attachment 1208586
Beautiful scenery. "Narrows" as in narrow gap between the hills, I suppose? In the south you call those glacial turnbacks between the hills a "gap." In New England we would call it a notch. Out west they'd call it a "pass," I think.

Beautiful scenery. "Narrows" as in narrow gap between the hills, I suppose? In the south you call those glacial turnbacks between the hills a "gap." In New England we would call it a notch. Out west they'd call it a "pass," I think.
A narrow passage in the New River which runs through town. In the old days, it meant a ferry could operate on the river. A major rail line parallels the river.
That's Big Horse Gap in the picture. I got rescued during a snow storm on the Appalachian Trail there many years ago. Narrows is home to dirt cheap real estate. You can get a house for less than $100k. It's a quiet little town.

Owen Bawn

A narrow passage in the New River which runs through town. In the old days, it meant a ferry could operate on the river. A major rail line parallels the river.
That's Big Horse Gap in the picture. I got rescued during a snow storm on the Appalachian Trail there many years ago. Narrows is home to dirt cheap real estate. You can get a house for less than $100k. It's a quiet little town.
I knew a guy who taught at VPI in Blacksburg & lived in Pembroke- that's near you, isn't it?

Owen Bawn

Mine is Christy Mathewson, one of the original five members of baseball’s hall of fame. A devout Christian who never pitched on Sundays. An amazing man captured in his youthful exuberance, this reflects my love of God, family, history, baseball, a close shave, and the wholesome pleasure of doing what you enjoy.
Gassed in WWI, he died in 1925 after contracting TB in his weakened lungs as a result of long term respiratory damage from the gassing.

Top Bottom