What's new

What is the sharpest edge you have experienced?

Feather Pro's--even straights I've sent out to be honed by well known people on here haven't come even close. I have about a 1 inch scar from a Feather Pro--the scary thing is when I cut myself, I thought I'd closely adverted disaster because I didn't even fell the cut. A couple of minutes later it started to bleed and that's when I realized how clean the cut was. I love shaving with the Feather AC, but I always respect it.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I meant to be witty, not arrogant. :001_smile
OH NO! Not at all.

It's probably me who misunderstood smth. All I meant to say was that I consider myself new to wet-shaving (2 years) and definitely no expert in SRs.

I perceived no arrogance whatsoever in your response, quite the opposite actually 😀

OH NO! Not at all.

It's probably me who misunderstood smth. All I meant to say was that I consider myself new to wet-shaving (2 years) and definitely no expert in SRs.

I perceived no arrogance whatsoever in your response, quite the opposite actually 😀
Thank you :001_smile

Your thoughts on the matter resemble mine. All I care for is an irritation-free, smooth, comfortable, enjoyable DFS/BBS shave.

That being said, Feather Pro Super blades give me just that. I use them with my AC SS and my Hawk v3 standard-base plate. Hawk being an SE razor with a safety bar is definitely a milder shaver, but AC SS still provides excellent shaves to me, albeit somewhat more aggressive nonetheless.

Perhaps you had a bad blade with your DX...?
IMO the Feather DX and SS are entirely different animals. Same genus maybe, but different species. While I like to use both; the DX will bite when using a fresh blade, where the SS will give a smooth shave. The AC SS is an excellent design. The AC DX is more traditional but also more unforgiving.

Yes indeed the Feather Professional blades are incredibly sharp. Don't start with them. Start instead with Feather guarded and Dorco AC blades. These are the most forgiving by far.

I have to say that I am still not able to articulate the difference between sharp and smooth other than I want an edge that will effortlessly slice through my whiskers with no irritation, and "I know it when I see it" (Jacobellis v. Ohio). And if required to make a trade-off, I will take smooth over sharp.

That said, before using a straight, I had focused on what I considered to be the smoother of the DE blades, including BIC Chrome Platinum (also quite sharp), Derby Premium, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds), and Rapira Platinum Lux - to name a few.

I hear you. I don't do that cork thing, but that first shave with a brand new Feather Professional is something I do with caution.

I think there's a German word for that nice stage where a razor has been honed to sharp perfection, but after a couple shaves have gone by and it is toned down a little.

That word describes what a Feather Professional, in a SS, is for me, from shave number two to say twenty.

I have to say that I am still not able to articulate the difference between sharp and smooth other than I want an edge that will effortlessly slice through my whiskers with no irritation, and "I know it when I see it" (Jacobellis v. Ohio). And if required to make a trade-off, I will take smooth over sharp.

That said, before using a straight, I had focused on what I considered to be the smoother of the DE blades, including BIC Chrome Platinum (also quite sharp), Derby Premium, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds), and Rapira Platinum Lux - to name a few.
I share your sentiment on defining "sharp Vs. smooth". It's beyond me.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it, but to me, if the blade cuts whiskers effortlessly, w/o irritation and gives a close DFS/BBS shave, then it's "smooth"... and somehow I don't believe it would do so if that blade wasn't sharp to begin with.

IME, you can't have a smooth shave w/o a sharp blade. So it's not mutually exclusive, on the contrary.

I've tried pretty much all the major blade brands and settled for Feather. Haven't used anything else in more than a year.

What I can say confidently though is that AC type blades feel smoother to me than DE blades. I think that's to do with rigidity.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have had a couple of free-shave days where I could properly compare my Feather edge with my Gold Dollar W59 星期四 (Thursday) edge.

Yesterday I shaved with my Chinese generic SS shavette and Feather blade (second use). The result was very similar (as best as I can remember) to the previous time that I shaved with the same a little over 3 weeks ago.

This morning I shaved with the W59 星期四, this time with yesterday's result firmly in mind. The resulting shave this morning was of the same standard or, dare I say, little better than yesterday's shave.

Now I can say that the edge on my Gold Dollar W59 星期四 SR is the sharpest that I have experienced, and it still gives me a comfortable shave.

This has given me a new goal to achieve in the honing of all my other SR's.

Top Bottom