What's new

What is the oldest straight razor you own?

Thanks! I did find a bit more information about Thomas Scargill, which is to say much less than most other razor searches :)

The thing that surprised me about your razor though was that it might be older than my Scargill, and i have one very similar though not in nearly as good of shape at the moment. Any idea how the two would compare in age? Or ultimately do we think this might be older than the Scargill?

I found an auction website that dates your blade at somewhere between 1840 to 1860. Given that the double C's you have stamped are more rounded then mine plus the tang on the blade is not as thick and demascus steel, I would have to agree on that date. In my opinion dating these blades are difficult because you sometimes cant pinpoint it, sometimes you only get a large sweep of years it could have been manufactured. Or you get the other aspect, other times given the stamp, the type of font used in the stampings and blade and tang shape and material used on blade and scales, you can pinpoint it. BUT what does a date matter as long as it shaves well, but I too love to date these old blades for coolness factor. :001_cool:

Larry

The university that I went to was established in 1856 and I’ve thought “man, how I wish I could have a few items...razor, cast iron...that was from this era...” it’s nice to have dates, even if it’s only a range. It’s crazy to think I might have more than one razor older than my university lol

timwcic

"Look what I found"
From this mornings flea market, a Roberts Stub joined my den to keep a I-Barber from getting lonely. Both are scaled in horn with lead. I never figured out if the I-Barber is a John Barber counterfeit, from maker Isaac Barber, or both. Whichever it may be, it is a Shoulderless wedge grind. The Roberts is a typical early grind with a slight shoulder

8E90F568-E8AF-474A-859C-B58F0A58DC05.jpeg
E4C369FA-AB8B-4AA0-A894-A68327F55371.jpeg
6C318CD5-6CE6-49CF-AA87-D654215D9266.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I own an 1860's ish (best I can date it anyway) W&B that I'm currently restoring.

The first owner of this bronze razors was a Swedish chieftain that was buried with it about 3250 years ago. Just about the same time as the Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses III fought the battle of Kadesh.

The only bad thing about this razors it is that mine just is a very good replica, made by the Swedish National History Museum.

20191125_180914.jpg

The first owner of this bronze razors was a Swedish chieftain that was buried with it about 3250 years ago. Just about the same time as the Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses III fought the battle of Kadesh.

The only bad thing about this razors it is that mine just is a very good replica, made by the Swedish National History Museum.

View attachment 1038096
Is that a close enough replica that it could be honed for use?

S

Squinty

This Harrison Brothers and Howson 'Standard', stamped VR so pre 1901 but as I can't find the date of the royal warrant unable to go any further.
20190905_195234.jpg

View attachment 1038096

That is awesome. How old is the one you have? Have you sharpened and shaved with it?

Is that a close enough replica that it could be honed for use?
That is awesome. How old is the one you have? Have you sharpened and shaved with it?
Besides from a marking on the blade saying that it's a copy it's exactly as the original so it could be honed, but bronze doesn't hold an edge like steel does. I don't know when those these copies were made (1970's), but over the last ten years old so I've seen three of them meaning that they weren't made in larger numbers. I keep it on the desk in my study where I often take it up when I'm thinking about something while working, so honing it would be a bad idea.

George Rex marked English razor with Superior Temper stamp. Lead wedge, stubby tail, and look like copper pins. Could be bronze pins or similar that just have that copper color. I think 1820-1830 timeframe.

38B10F49-D53F-4A5E-ADA3-CB6440059BED.jpeg

Besides from a marking on the blade saying that it's a copy it's exactly as the original so it could be honed, but bronze doesn't hold an edge like steel does. I don't know when those these copies were made (1970's), but over the last ten years old so I've seen three of them meaning that they weren't made in larger numbers. I keep it on the desk in my study where I often take it up when I'm thinking about something while working, so honing it would be a bad idea.

I would have to hone it up at least once and give it a try. But if it's a desktop Muse being sharp could definitely be a problem. Unless you carefully re dulled it to a letter opener edge.

My oldest is probably a Filarmonica #14, JMP. If we count shavettes, I have a Weck Style A, putting it close to 1909.

My three oldest. As far as I can tell.
IMG_20191127_131557.jpg

On the left. Difficult to date. BJ Eyre and Co. Challenge Razor Sheffield. Doesn't say England. So probably pre-1890. No earlier than 1876 when BJ Eyre started using the Challenge trademark, no later than 1898 when the Challenge trademark was bought by a guy in New York who then moved to Connecticut. Scales are Bakelite which wasn't invented until 1908 so probably rescaled at some point.

Second one is Wade & Butcher Bow. No marking besides the bow stamp. Horn scales. Appear original. I'm guessing 1850s-80s.

Third one is Frederick Reynolds with what appears to be original bone scales. Same thing probably 1850s-1880s.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very cool thread. I'll have to start considering the ages of some of mine, but I don't have anything I know to be terribly old or half a spectacular as some of the beautiful straight razors already pictured.

11-25-19.Wade.DB.AP.Shave.Kit.640.JPG

This Wade is not pre-1892. The scales are cheap plastic pre-made. I bought it with broken scales and have had to hone it way too many times due to banging it and chipping it, etc. However, it is my favorite razor for shaving. I may have older razors, but, man, does this have a nice edge or what!

Happy shaves,

Jim

1880s. My Dad's Grandaddy's razor. It says Devon Mfg Co Chicago but I found zero info about it online.

Attachments

• 20191129_195047.jpg
    20191129_195047.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Top Bottom