What's new

What is the oldest straight razor you own?

If you look close enough there is a royal stamp “WR” which dates the razor. Attached is a picture of it before I restored the razor.
B6001F31-1AB9-4736-AACD-E5BE83883CF0.jpeg

Wade and Butchers are easy to date with the royal stamping, the later ones depends on weather they have the arrow moniker or not and if the do have the arrow the number of fletchings determines the year it was made and then after all of that of course there is the “England” stamping for 1890 and up. I don’t mind dating them, just I would have to see them to determine the age and give you a ballpark estimate. I’m always willing to help with dating them if you have one in question.

Larry

New contender for the oldest that I own.
13/16 Wade and Butcher's Celebrated Swaged Concave
Imported by Donnan & Dunn of Petersburg, Va before 1851. Auction purchase. Somebody really buffed the crap out of it. You need sunglasses to look at this thing. Made it hard to photograph. No scales. 1/8" pin hole in the tang. Smile like a Cheshire cat. Heavy shoulderless faux frameback design.

IMG_20191218_203530.jpg

IMG_20191218_203518~3.jpg

IMG_20191218_203518~2.jpg

I finally found my Böker which belonged to Frank Congdon, my Great granduncle. It’s a 106. He gave it to my Grandfather, Arleigh Congdon, who was born in 1899. So it’s at least 100 years old.

I need to figure out how to tighten the pins, clean it up, and remove the slight smile.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a new old one. Easy enough to date.

Hezekiah and John Warburton King operated a hardware importing business at 92 Beekman Street in NYC from 1863-1873. Probably Sheffield made. Translucent Buffalo horn scales.

IMG_20191228_191406.jpg
IMG_20191228_191536.jpg
IMG_20191228_191640.jpg

Wade and Butchers are easy to date with the royal stamping, the later ones depends on weather they have the arrow moniker or not and if the do have the arrow the number of fletchings determines the year it was made and then after all of that of course there is the “England” stamping for 1890 and up. I don’t mind dating them, just I would have to see them to determine the age and give you a ballpark estimate. I’m always willing to help with dating them if you have one in question.

Larry
Could you explain the fletchings a bit more. I have a "The Celebrated" W&B with 6 fletchings on each side of the arrow with a B and a cross either side. It's "Manufactured by wade & Butcher Sheffield" on the tang but it's worn.

Could you explain the fletchings a bit more. I have a "The Celebrated" W&B with 6 fletchings on each side of the arrow with a B and a cross either side. It's "Manufactured by wade & Butcher Sheffield" on the tang but it's worn.

What I have found to be somewhat true is that the more fletchings the newer/younger the razor is. The razors with 5 or 6 fletchings usually have the made in "England" stamped somewhere which makes them made after 1890. I have seen 3 fletchings and 4 on some razors as well and they all have the Sheffield stamping which is pre 1890. Other W&B have the Royal stamping with no arrow stamp at all or others in the 1850's have just Wade and Butcher made in Sheffield and no arrow at all. The arrow stamping seemed to appear around 1860's to 1870's....anybody who is dating these razors can never pinpoint what year a razor was made...they will only give you a guesstimate as to what period it was made in.

I am only a hobbyist but best I can tell you is that if I'm able to see the razor, based on tang shape and stamping I could give you a rough idea as to dates for you.

Larry

I am only a hobbyist but best I can tell you is that if I'm able to see the razor, based on tang shape and stamping I could give you a rough idea as to dates for you.

Larry
That's really interesting, thanks Larry, I may take you up on the offer but they are in the post and will take a few weeks to get here.
I guess the ones with the mustache on the tang are newer still?

That's really interesting, thanks Larry, I may take you up on the offer but they are in the post and will take a few weeks to get here.
I guess the ones with the mustache on the tang are newer still?

Its not a mustache even though it looks like one....they are called the BOW stamped razors. Those are dated past 1900's

proxy.php

It’s my only. Genco Co. Bradford, PA no.35. No idea of age beyond 1935 and later. Any ideas gents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom