What's new

What is the most extreme scritchiest & back bone brush?

Im looking for the scritchiest brush with a lot of back bone, I've been recommended the omega 10049 before, and its not good enough, quite soft imo actually.

I like to bowl lather and find the soap gets stuck to the bottom a lot and is hard to incorporate. I find the best resolution to this is an agressive brush.
I like a low structure lather, so don't care for dense or soft brushes which build a foamy lather.

I would prefer a synthetic but don't believe they come more sturdier than a boar? So if anyone can recommend one please and thank you a ton in advance!

Not liking density puts you at ends with finding a high backbone brush as that's one of the main ways backbone is accomplished.. especially for synthetics, but there's still options.

This synthetic is the highest backbone synthetic I own that isn't very dense, but backbone isn't the same thing as skritchy.

My scritchiest brushes that also have high backbone are my Berkeley 46 brushes from Simpson...but they're kinda dense. I'd go with pure grade in your case but my best grade 46 is also very skritchy. In fact, all my Simpsons in best are.

Zenith "short n scrubby" and/or "Big n scrubby" would also work.

Or an Omega 40033...but it's not a good handle for bowl lathering. Again..more backbone than skritchy in this case.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
10049 has little backbone, it's floppy in my opinion. Too tall.

Get a quality Vulfix or Simpson pure badger or a Semogue bristle mixture (boar and badger).

Step away from the synthetics for a minute.

I like to bowl lather and find the soap gets stuck to the bottom a lot and is hard to incorporate. I find the best resolution to this is an agressive brush.
You can add some water to the soap in your bowl to soften/bloom it, prior to using your brush, and the soap will incorporate easily.

Van Der hagen boar for the stiff backbone. But the boar tips will split and may not remain as scritchy, provided it doesn't fall apart by then !

All boars lose their scritch or get quite soft after breaking in. A pure or black badger remains more scritchy, just use a lower loft for higher backbone. Haven't found any synthetics with scritch, but If you want a scrubby synthetic I haven't found one more scrubbier than the ghost knot from turn 'n shave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The most scritchy synthetic brush I have used has been the Omega Hi-Brush. They're still available. Zenith synthetics have some scritch as well, but the Hi-Brush is almost like harrowing your face with a rock rake... I exaggerate... it isn't that bad.

The Simpsons' Eagle in Pure Badger, either size G2 or G3 is a luxurious scritch experience. The Eagle in Pure is among my fave brushes.

this ought to work

But for real, if this is an actual question and not just a troll...
  • Any brush will clean the soap out of the bottom of a bowl if you use it properly - perhaps you aren't spending long enough loading the brush?
  • Dense and soft brushes don't inherently build foamy lather - the wrong ratio of water : soap : brush volume is usually the culprit there.
  • Omega 10049 has a 60+mm loft and isn't a super dense knot, so of course it's going to be floppy - find something with a shorter loft and it should be way more scrubby.

Last edited:
Top Bottom