What's new

What is the most expensive FP you lost?

For me, I am fortunate to not have experienced it. If I leave to go somewhere and feel a need for a pen, I just carry my Pilot Metropolitan as it looks classy enough to the non FP enthusiast. If I lost it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. All my mid-priced pens stay on my desk. I'm certain this has been covered before, I did a search and did not have the patience to wade through the non-relevant post in the shaving forum.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
One nice thing about spending a lot of money on a pen is that I tend to be a lot more careful with it. I try to ensure that my pens stay in one of three places - the pen cup on my desk, the pen case in my bag, or my shirt or jacket pocket. So far, I’m doing okay. I haven’t lost any fountain pens, but did lose a Retro 51 roller ball once when I got sloppy with my rules.

I had my laptop bag stolen on the train at Rome Termini Station in Italy. In it was my black 'slim' Mont Blanc fp, never knew the model number. Not to mention my newly renewed passport and an interesting book on WW2 plus all office related stuff. I was years later entering a European country, which I don't remember, and the Immigration Officer started asking strange questions, which I answered promptly. He then says 'Yes it is you, why do you have two passports in your name '? I froze. I then remembered about the teft and explaind what had happened. Practically after 3 or 4 years my old passport was still in the database together with the new one. Fortunately the Officer was smart enough and said 'I'll remove the previous one from the database'. I was given another similar red Mont Blanc by my uncle a few years later. Still don't know the model number, who cares :)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A Pelikan 200 Demonstrator with a gold nib that I lost on a plane some years ago --the nib had cost me more than the pen itself; total loss was something like $300 or so. Still upset about this.....I had bought the nib on one of my last trips to Germany.

A Kaweco Skyline Sport. I think I might have left it on a shelf at Lowes when I was taking notes. Not super expensive, but I missed it enough to buy another one. Now I kind of wish I'd taken the opportunity to buy an Al Sport.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I lost a Cross Townsend FP and a Townsend ballpoint when I moved back to Philly from Chicago last year. At least, I've turned the boxes upside down and can't find them. May yet turn up, but I think somehow they got tossed (perhaps by a overzealously cleaning wife).

I may never have lost a fountain pen permanently. I did misplace my Parker 180 at work and not find it again until the next day. It had come out of the leather pen slip that I was putting in my laptop case, and I didn't realize that it was gone until I got home. It had landed on carpet and rolled into a corner, but was undamaged.

And I think that's it. There is one Hero pen that I'm not sure of; I think I may have given it away but can't recall to whom, and am not sure in any case. I haven't lost any that meant anything to me, though.

Legion

Staff member
Never lost one, but I had a Parker worth about $70-80 swiped off my dest at work. I wouldn't use anything worth more than that there, for that reason.

Never lost one, but I had a Parker worth about $70-80 swiped off my dest at work. I wouldn't use anything worth more than that there, for that reason.
One sad thing about that is that people who swipe pens often seem unaware that they're doing anything wrong. If you catch them at it, that is. I wouldn't take a five cent Bic without asking, not that I'd need to. :001_smile

My standard for pens that I take to work is not to bring any of the really finicky older vintage ones, but I don't have a problem bringing the nicer, more expensive models if they're among the ones that I have inked. Probably a different work environment, though, a small group of people who have all been here for years and know each other's quirks. It's rare for us to have visitors, and they don't often come into the operations area where I work.

Haven't lost an expensive fountain pen, but I did lose a Montblanc ballpoint and that kept me from spending money on a nice pen for over a decade.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My first "good" FP: a black Pelikan 205.

(I had a cheap-o pen in highschool but gave up with it starting in the workforce after university. Then a few years later (prompted by B&B posts) I returned to the FP world with that Pelikan.

About a year later it disappeared. I was so fond of using a FP by then that I ordered another 205 ... and a 215.

Months later I found the pen, tucked into a suit jacket pocket!

A big, fancy Mont Blanc. Years ago: Diplomat? Model 149? I'm guessing. Stolen by my landlord's larcenous children. I rented sort of a guest house behind the big house, with one son installed in a second guest house, 2 other brothers floating around, drinking beer and playing loud music. I moved, and my pen, securely put away, wasn't there any more. Now I live in a very secure building with no worries about anyone getting my sterling silver Montegrappa.

A pen roll with the following pens
Pelikan 120 Merz and Krell
Pelikan M205 red
Pelikan M205 black
Pelikan M150
Parker 51 Special set (mp/fp)
Parker 45 Flighter
Parker 45 burgundy Made in Spain

I think that was all of them. Between my home and office two miles away. All were purchased as previously owned. That was June 2015.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom