What's new

What is the most convenient type of razor and why?

I'm saying straight. Yes, I mean straight razor.

Razor, strop, stone. That is all that is needed to maintain this razor for years, besides a little oil on the blade.

As for time, yes, stropping and honing takes time. But stropping doesn't take that long. Heck, honing doesn't even take THAT long if touching up an edge. Besides, how long does it take to run to the pharmacy to get a new pack of cartridges because you swear you put them on the shopping list for the grocery store? How long does it take to order packs of blades online, enter shipping, billing, credit card info, and then wait for it to arrive?

As far as cuts, I cut myself less with a straight than a DE. I believe this is because I can control the angle and can see what the edge is doing.

Also, how much is an adjustable DE? I can buy a vintage straight for a fraction of the price and the angle is infinitely adjustable.

Did I mention less skin irritation too? I don't use pre shave balm or oils, just a hot shower before hand.

And the only environmental waste I create is soap scum and an occasional aftershave bottle. I order replacement pucks for my sterling soap containers.

Where the straight lacks is in travel. But even then it's not that big of a deal to pack a strop and straight, but a little case and a single tuck of blades has the advantage there.

We all have different lifestyles and definitions of convenience though. To me maintaining a blade is more enjoyable than having to run to the store or order new ones online. What razor do you think is most convenient and why?

Interesting perspective!

For me straights were just too much effort. Actually more than a bit more, especially on mornings when I was struggling to get to work after a busy weekend when I did not have time to maintain the razors.

So my answer is DE, but I respect the craft in keeping straights in good condition! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Probably a DE razor. It’s really two SE razors in one.

But why is that more convenient? I haven't had to stop in the middle of shave and hone or strop my razor. The only advantage to that, that I can see, is you can spin it around and take another pass. But with the wide blade of a straight, that isn't necessary

And please, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to create discussion. I like hearing other points of view.

There was a time when people used to believe the Earth was flat...

And so just because someone believes the SR to be more convenient... guess wha' - it doesn't actually make it more convenient or practical, let alone superior in any way.

Stropping? Me? No, thank you.
Honing? Me? No, thank you.

End of story. FOR ME. Thank you.

Interesting perspective!

For me straights were just too much effort. Actually more than a bit more, especially on mornings when I was struggling to get to work after a busy weekend when I did not have time to maintain the razors.

So my answer is DE, but I respect the craft in keeping straights in good condition! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I used to think that too. But after digging through the cabinet to find a new blade, unscrewing the razor, throwing the old blade out, unwrapping said new blade and throwing out the wrapper, and putting the razor back together that a few swipes on the strop doesn't take that much more time.

Just another perspective

There was a time when people used to believe the Earth was flat...

And so just because someone believes the SR to be more convenient... guess wha' - it doesn't actually make it more convenient or practical, let alone superior in any way.

Stropping? Me? No, thank you.
Honing? Me? No, thank you.

End of story. FOR ME. Thank you.

You're missing the entire point. For the way I live my life, a straight razor is more practical and convenient for me. I prefer to maintain a blade than to spend time shopping for new ones. That is my personal choice.

My goal here was to create discussion about what works best for people in their lives and why.

So what do you use?

You're missing the entire point. For the way I live my life, a straight razor is more practical and convenient for me. I prefer to maintain a blade than to spend time shopping for new ones. That is my personal choice.

My goal here was to create discussion about what works best for people in their lives and why.

So what do you use?
Good for you 👍👍

I use DE and AC-bladed SE.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm saying straight. Yes, I mean straight razor.

Razor, strop, stone. That is all that is needed to maintain this razor for years, besides a little oil on the blade.

As for time, yes, stropping and honing takes time. But stropping doesn't take that long. Heck, honing doesn't even take THAT long if touching up an edge. Besides, how long does it take to run to the pharmacy to get a new pack of cartridges because you swear you put them on the shopping list for the grocery store? How long does it take to order packs of blades online, enter shipping, billing, credit card info, and then wait for it to arrive?

As far as cuts, I cut myself less with a straight than a DE. I believe this is because I can control the angle and can see what the edge is doing.

Also, how much is an adjustable DE? I can buy a vintage straight for a fraction of the price and the angle is infinitely adjustable.

Did I mention less skin irritation too? I don't use pre shave balm or oils, just a hot shower before hand.

And the only environmental waste I create is soap scum and an occasional aftershave bottle. I order replacement pucks for my sterling soap containers.

Where the straight lacks is in travel. But even then it's not that big of a deal to pack a strop and straight, but a little case and a single tuck of blades has the advantage there.

We all have different lifestyles and definitions of convenience though. To me maintaining a blade is more enjoyable than having to run to the store or order new ones online. What razor do you think is most convenient and why?
EXCELLENT post.

Nothing beats SR shaving for coolness or manliness, but maintaining the blade, let alone risk of cuts, makes it impractical for beginners. The most practical or convenient is any cartridge and goop in a can. Why do I say this? Because it’s available everywhere, takes no skill.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Lessening of the sense of touch, reduction in hand/arm strength, decrease in steadiness and physical control and daily doses of blood thinners due to advancing age has made straight razor shaving the least convenient method for me.
DE, SE and even the occasional cart has made these methods the most convenient by far for me.

Having to purchase and employ a series whetsones to restore edges and stropping before and after each SR shave is not that convenient. It may be part of the joy to Straight razor shaving, but is in no way convenient to anyone other than a hobbyist.

One could argue having to buy replacement DE blades and cartridges for the rest of their life is inconvenient too. All depends on perspective.

Thanks for the reply!

Lessening of the sense of touch, reduction in hand/arm strength, decrease in steadiness and physical control and daily doses of blood thinners due to advancing age has made straight razor shaving the least convenient method for me.
DE, SE and even the occasional cart has made these methods the most convenient by far for me.

That does make a lot of sense for your situation. Maybe I should have retitled my post "What is your most used method of shaving and why?"

Where I am right now, I find straights the most enjoyable, but that's not saying it is the be all end all best method. It just happens to be best for me.

I think a TTO(Twist To Open) DE(Double Edge) razor is the most convenient type of razor. It allows super easy blade insertion, cleaning and is very easy to shave with. I think it is even more convenient than a cartridge razor because it is much less likely to clog. The only maintenance required is rinsing it and an occasional cleaning. A decent TTO DE razor can be purchased for under $30 and many excellent DE blades are under $10/100 blades.

I used to think that too. But after digging through the cabinet to find a new blade, unscrewing the razor, throwing the old blade out, unwrapping said new blade and throwing out the wrapper, and putting the razor back together that a few swipes on the strop doesn't take that much more time.

Just another perspective

I change blades about once every 130 shaves. Might take 15 seconds. Since I use 3 blades a year and have about 200, maybe 300 blades, I don't worry about maintenance.

My only concern is I only have 24 1/2 pucks of Williams. They only last about 200 shaves.

Top Bottom