What's new

What is the mildest shavette ?

Hi all !
I started usind shavettes 2 months ago and I've tested quite a few (sedef, Parker push type, zazor, Vanta).
Till now, the mildest I've tested is the Daune, but I'd love to try a milder one cause I still find it a little bit too agressive.
Do you have any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi all !
I started usind shavettes 2 months ago and I've tested quite a few (sedef, Parker push type, zazor, Vanta).
Till now, the mildest I've tested is the Daune, but I'd love to try a milder one cause I still find it a little bit too agressive.
Try a round point real straight razor. You’ll find it’s less aggressive and much more forgiving than a shavette.
However then you need a strop. Just be sure if sure if you go that route that the edge is truly shave ready.
Sorry this doesn’t exactly answer your inquiry but it will probably be a less aggressive option!

thanks for your answer sanookd
No problem, I hope it points you in the right direction. I started with a shavette but find a true straight blade more comfortable against my skin. However having said that I still use a shavette on my upper cheeks. I have a beard and the smaller shavette blade is easier to maneuver in a smaller area. My entire neck is done with a real straight razor, 3 passes with no irritation.

actually I have a NOS vintage Jaguar straight that I never used. I will certainly buy a stro.

actually I have a NOS vintage Jaguar straight that I never used. I will certainly buy a stro.
Just be sure that NOS Straight Razor is truly shave ready or you might not have a pleasurable experience. But if it is shave ready you’ll see what I’m talking about regarding aggression of a straight blade edge compared to a shavette.

IMO the Feather Artist Club SS is the mildest shavette by a wide margin. I can shave in a hurried manner, almost haphazardly and not receive any weepers. And the resulting shave is good.

I find it more difficult to judge between the DE shavettes that I have used. I might say the Focus Slim Al, I like the way the blade tips are covered to help prevent them from ever digging in.

Hi all !
Get a Feather Artist Club SS, look no further, as nothing comes close in terms of fit & finish, grip on the handle and overall quality.

If you prefer mild shaves, Feather ProGuard will do you justice or Kai Mild.

Get a Feather Artist Club SS, look no further, as nothing comes close in terms of fit & finish, grip on the handle and overall quality.

If you prefer mild shaves, Feather ProGuard will do you justice or Kai Mild.

Completely agree.. Feather SS + feather proguard blades = mild straight razor with training wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

will the artist club be milder than a straight ?
You are approaching this from a wrong angle.

A truly unprotected blade will be as mild (or aggressive) as you want it to be.

Feather AC is a SR, have no doubt about it and while the ProGuard blade is shorter then the Pro Super (which I prefer) it is still a SR. It's nothing like a DE. The blade is in the open, protruding out of the blade-holder equally on both sides of the edge. Nothing covers it.

That being said, any Feather blade will be significantly sharper than vast majority of traditional SRs. Some will actually doubt that you can hone a SR to the level of sharpness of the machine-honed Feather AC blades. Some honemeisters claim they can do it with the pasted balsa progression.

A Feather razor is a wonderful device, a true art work, but have no doubts it'll slice your skin like a salami if you get carried away.

Artist Club SS. AC blades are rounded at the corners, which neutralizes the least forgiving aspect of shavettes right out of the gate.

Which blade you use is a huge factor, too. Probably the main factor, in fact. The SoftGuard will produce the least blade exposure and is a guarded blade. Though personally I would go with the ProGuard or Proline blades.

Still not as forgiving as a traditional straight razor, though. Especially one with a round tip and heavy grind.
YMMV, and such.

I have 1 cheap shavette so probably not the most well rounded opinion, but never the less my experience is as follows

Shavette BE DANG CAREFUL. It will razor burn and release blood with little warning. "Traditional" straight razor seems to be much more forgiving, comfortable, and to me just feels "right" on my skin. I can get a nice shave with the shavette, do not get me wrong, it just is not as "relaxing" so to speak.

The concepts of mild or aggressive really don't apply to a shavette or straight. The blade is completely out there in the open so the only thing controlling aggressiveness is you. I agree with those who said the closest thing you might find to a mild shavette is a Feather SS though. The bump on it acts sort of like a guard on a DE, smoothing out the skin and providing a guide so a little pressure won't necessarily be disastrous. Still the blade is just out there and can be very aggressive with bad technique or inattention.

Last edited:
If you really want a mild forgiving blade, order the Feather pro-guard blades for the clone. The clone shaves as well as the real thing, I have both.

I find straights to be smoother shavers than shavettes as a rule. That said, the Italian-made Focus R21 shavette with the plastic insert to hold the blade is the smoothest shavette I've used. I often take it with me on short trips. Egyptian Shark or Lord saloon-style blades work well for me.

Jaguars are very good straight razors. If it's not shave-ready, I would suggest sending it to a pro like Ertan at Rasoir-Sabre, located in the Vosges mountains (if France is where you are located). It would be a shame to ruin it in seeking to learn honing with it. Also, the shave-ready edge will give you a reference of what a good edge is.

Top Bottom