What's new

What is the Goodline DE Razor Equivalent To?

I'm a newbie and never tried a DE razor, I have some coupons and I can get this Goodline razor from CVS for free:

Does anyone know if this is a beginner's razor, is it a "mild" one? I couldn't find much information on this forum, someone said something about it looks like a Baili TTO

I was thinking about getting the Ying Jili razor for $3.99 from Aliexpress, heard that one is impossible to cut yourself, that is my main concern about trying DE razors

I have the Goodline razor from CVS. It was my first DE razor that I bought to see if I liked DE shaving. While I think it is mild, since I was just learning on it I did have some rough shaves. I feel like that was more so my fault as a newbie and not the razors. I haven't used it much after my first month, but I should probably give it another whirl and see if my improved technique translates back to the Goodline. I went on to a Merkur 38C (very mild) and then on to a Karve Overlander (slightly more aggressive) and they are both quite a bit better than the Goodline. Good luck and I hope someone gives you the answer that you need.

This appears to be a rebrand of a Baili BR179 TTO (twist-to-open, aka "butterfly") razor. If I understand correctly, it's a Chinese clone of a design created by Vikings Blade for their "Chieftain" razor. You can get this razor for under $6 from Maggard Razors. It's not a bad razor to learn the basics of DE shaving. I prefer the Van Der Hagen short-handle razor myself (which is a Weishi 9306 rebrand) because the head is slightly smaller and it's slightly less aggressive.

In the same price range, you can get a Lord L6 (around $6 online) which is a fine razor in the mild/moderate category.

For a bit more you could go with a Merkur 34C or one of the EJ89 series. These are my ‘standard’ beginner’s razor recommendations (and they are also fine choices for experienced shavers.)

A free razor? Go for it! It's a mild razor, but you'll still have to exercise caution while learning to shave with it. Rule #1, use zero pressure. Do not push the razor into your skin, let gravity pull the razor down. I suggest getting the free razor & start enjoying your shaves! Keep us posted, please!

I missed that part of your post where you could get the razor for free with coupons. Shows how much I pay attention...

Agree entirely with @dmshaver - go for it and start practicing! Like he said, don't press the razor into your face like you would with a cartridge razor, and proceed gently and slowly. In a fairly short time you will learn the new technique and experience great shaves.

Thanks, how does the Ying jili razor compare? I could use my coupons to get some blades instead for free and order the Ying razor from Aliexpress for $3.75, there was a discussion from 2016 praising this razor, saying it's even more mild than the Gillete tech and that it's impossible to cut yourself with it, is this still true?

I would say that it's possible to cut yourself with any kind of razor (except maybe an electric, but you could still cut yourself with that if the cutting screen has a hole, is worn out, etc.). With a cartridge razor, you can cut yourself by pressing too hard or by running the blade over a bump on your face. The same is true with a DE razor, although the margin of error is smaller than with a cartridge. Exercise care, proceed slowly, watch your angle, and (can't emphasize it enough) don't use pressure. It's a learned skill - you'll be getting good shaves in no time.

Welcome to the forum!
Any blade can cut you. After all, it is just that, a blade. Lots of experienced folks here to help you.
Good luck with any razor you choose.

Top Bottom