What's new

What is the deal with the Merkur 42C (1904)? Why do some sources say it’s nickel plated while most places that have it for sale say chrome plated?

I would like to get this razor but I’m confused about the finish. I want the nickel finish one. I see a lot of old threads from ten years ago on here of people asking what the finish is, and the answers are like 50/50 chrome/nickel. Which one is it? The Amazon listing says chrome. So does every other listing I can find, and so does the Dovo catalog. Why do/did some people think it was nickel? Did they change it at some point? Is it still possible to get ahold of the nickel-finished one?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Now they are all Chrome plated. The old version was Nickel plated.

By the way AMAZING razor, get it without hesitation!

The 42c used to be a nickel plated model. I have their catalog from 9-10 years ago and it says nickel. But it is chrome nowadays. I bought a 42c 2-3 years ago and it is chrome plated. Any particular reason you want that particular model. It is quite ineffective. Don't read the posts here saying it is the same head as the 34c. With the 34c I could get a BBS at least.

I have the open comb version of the 1904 and it is chrome plated. It's a nice razor and can give very good results as well. The open comb in conjunction with the thin head allows for maneuvrability. It was my first "quality" razor along with the heavy Merkur 43c, bought at the same time.

As stated before, older production had nickel plating. The difference between this and the 33c is just the handle, with the 43c having a heavier, but significantly smoother handle. I personally prefer the round knurled handle.

The 42c used to be a nickel plated model. I have their catalog from 9-10 years ago and it says nickel. But it is chrome nowadays. I bought a 42c 2-3 years ago and it is chrome plated. Any particular reason you want that particular model. It is quite ineffective. Don't read the posts here saying it is the same head as the 34c. With the 34c I could get a BBS at least.
What is a BBS?

First time I've heard that. I thought all Merkur closed combs were the same head with different handles.

First time I've heard that. I thought all Merkur closed combs were the same head with different handles.
That's what I thought for some 10 years 'cause everybody on this forum says so. That's why I bought the 42c a couple of years back after having the 34c for 3 years. And, boy what was my disappointment. I gave away the 34c now, but there is a tiny difference in the gap. Not sure about the exposure. In my case I can't have a BBS using the same brush and cream using 42c, but I got the BBS with the 34c.
Here the table of gaps also confirms my observations Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Blade Gap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap. The 38C and 23C [3-piece models as the 42c] have smaller gap than the 34c which is 2 piece.

That's what I thought for some 10 years 'cause everybody on this forum says so. That's why I bought the 42c a couple of years back after having the 34c for 3 years. And, boy what was my disappointment. I gave away the 34c now, but there is a tiny difference in the gap. Not sure about the exposure. In my case I can't have a BBS using the same brush and cream using 42c, but I got the BBS with the 34c.
Here the table of gaps also confirms my observations Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Blade Gap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap. The 38C and 23C [3-piece models as the 42c] have smaller gap than the 34c which is 2 piece.

Good to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom