What's new

What is the deal with the Focus R48?

Is it worth trying to track down a used to give it a try? I do not believe it will out perform many of the SE razors I already have... but it looks interesting. Perhaps not new price interesting... but interesting. Anyone buy one and still keep it in your rotation?

I use it every day. For me (and that is a big YMMV) it gives me a clean, close, and comfortable shave. I like it better then my Merkur 23C, iKon X3, and Schick L.

It needs to be used differently than a DE/SE so some people don't like that or can't adjust. The blade loading is fiddly and sometimes a pain in the a**. And, if you like the challenge and accomplishment of mastering a tool, it will be boring. But it is a razor that gets the job done effectively and get's you out the door and on the way to work with a face-rubbing, irritation-free face. I get my challenge from my Feather Artist Club SS.

Is it worth trying to track down a used to give it a try? I do not believe it will out perform many of the SE razors I already have... but it looks interesting. Perhaps not new price interesting... but interesting. Anyone buy one and still keep it in your rotation?
I just got one new and absolutely love it. I left DE for SE exclusively some time ago..but this thing takes everything I hate about DE blades out of the equation. It’s tamed my Feathers I’ve had sitting around and gives me a brilliant efficient irritation free shave (head and face) those that hate it just tend to hate pivot designed razor anyway...which is fine, but if you don’t like that action understandably you wouldn’t like this one. The key is using the angle like a GEM style razor. The pivot point is pretty well comparable to that of a OneBlade if you’ve ever used one. The cost of entry is decently fair, and running it of course is pennies. I recommend this one quite a bit.

I don't know if they still have them in stock, but The Superior Shave used to sell these razors. Here is a video on how to use it.

Here is another video.

They do still have them. Just got mine from there. And yes! His videos are super helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the fiddlest bit is loading the blade. But with my glasses on it goes better. Personally I've found that the treet carbon blades give the smoothest and most comfortable shave.

I find the fiddlest bit is loading the blade. But with my glasses on it goes better. Personally I've found that the treet carbon blades give the smoothest and most comfortable shave.

Agreed. The loading could use an improvement. But after a couple of times it’s fairly simple. I’ve been using Feathers...I’d be interested in trying a few others.

My vintage Wilkinson sword blades give me really excellent shaves in my DE razors but in my focus they're rough as old hob nails. Almost unusable. But as I say the Treet carbons seem to be consistently smooth and last around 5 or 6 shaves.

I've also used Astra SP, sharp
New Wilkinson's, ok but not long lasting
Derby, lets not talk about it shall we
Personna, ok but not brilliant.
Treet, stainless, sharp but only around 4 shaves.

In all I bought mine used and haven't regretted it at all. Its in my rotation right after my vintage Gillette G11 and 90s sensor carts.

I see they have introduced the r50, Stainless steel. It seems the loading may be foolproof! But not sure. Plus, it seems to be in usa but not UK yet.

Used mine today, and shave is close and comfortable, however seems to have lost its pivot action!

Hey! Just what I need...another razor to buy. [emoji23] Seriously though, where did you get the R50? What’s different about loading the blade? And are you saying there’s no pivot? What I read online it still tours that design. I haven’t seen it from any US vendors. Thank you.

Top Bottom