What's new

What is the deal with Birth Year razors?

Just wondering, seen this referenced a few times. Is there a reason people like to acquire a razor manufactured the same year that, well, they themselves were? Just sentimental? Reason I ask is that I have seen a few 1966 Slims on the 'bay, and some others ranging from 1950's to late 60's, and am thinking I should go for the one in the best cosmetic shape for the best price, rather then worry about the year. Unless there are major differences between years?

Regards.

I to wonder the same thing. They didn't date many razors in the early 40's tho so it makes little difference to me.

It seemed like a natural step in "collecting" razors, but once I had one it lost it's appeal (did not sell it though!)

I find it amazing that I can have a razor that is pretty much exactly as old as I am. Once I had one, I took it a step further. I have collected a razor for my birth year ('76), as well as my fathers ('55) and grandfathers ('27) birthyears. Now I'm in the process of collecting each type of razor that was made those years. I'm over halfway there. Once I get them all, I will be making a display case to mount them in. A Family/Gillette history of sorts.

Here's what I have so far:
1927 New Improved - Tuckaway
1955 (A4) Blue Tip Super Speed
1955 (A3) Ball End Tech
1955 (A3) Flare Tip Super Speed
1955 (A2) Red Tip Super Speed (Correct quarter, but no endcaps)
1976 (W1) Black Handled Super Speed
1976 (W3) Super Adjustable

As I find them, I will eventually swap out razors that have the correct quarter A2 & W2.

I'm only missing a few, most different ones from 1927, a 1976 Tech, and a 1955 aristocrat. But those are some of the hardest to find. I don't want to pay out the end for one from eBay either (at least not at this point, it may come to that later).

"I bought a birth year razor just to have one. It it my youngest razor and far from my favorite."

+1

I bought a slim adjustable in my birth year and I just cant get the knack of it

It is my least Favourite shaver

Sentimental reasons. I bought my dad a red tip from 1957 for Christmas. Just one of those things.

That's my year ... but I haven't really tried to obtain one. Its not high on my list ... but it is on my list - I first need to sell some of the many razors I've acquired in past 6 months.

Fortunately, my birth year razor ('46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat) turned out to be one of my favorite shavers. Not only is it gold-plated eye candy, but it's a great performer.

Fortunately, my birth year razor ('46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat) turned out to be one of my favorite shavers. Not only is it gold-plated eye candy, but it's a great performer.

That sounds pretty nice, yeah. Being a youngun ('81), my options for birth year razors are limited to 2: black handled super speed, and black handle super adjustable. I suppose if I ever see one of the two in a B1, good condition, and low price, I'd grab em.

I also have a birth year Slim (K3). I didn't get it because it was an excuse to "get another razor", I got it because I wanted a Slim that was from the 3rd quarter of 1965. Just as I am.

I had a 53' President, sold it last christmas.(mistake) I do however have another, but it's not in the mint condition like the other. I could come close in the Diplomat dept is a 55' in mint condition down to the lacquer on it. 53' Super Speed in mint with no case. So any razor with Y-2, makes me take a look!

i like the idea of using something as old as i am. like most i onl have 2 options for 1983. i will also prob look for my father (1961), grandfather (1932) and my father in laws (1945) birth year for the same reason of having my own birth year. to use something as old as my grandfather (79 so probably have to get a goodwill) and it work just as well now as it did then is pretty exciting to me.

That sounds pretty nice, yeah. Being a youngun ('81), my options for birth year razors are limited to 2: black handled super speed, and black handle super adjustable. I suppose if I ever see one of the two in a B1, good condition, and low price, I'd grab em.

Where do I find a list of razors made in each year? I assume my options are the same as Yaritau's as I was born in '80. I'm not planning to buy anything, but...

Top Bottom